79' Malibu LQ4/4L65E build

79loserbluebu

Jan 24, 2011
Title says it all really. I've done quite a bit of research on LSx swaps (over 2 years research to be exact). Pulled the trigger late last August and picked up a 59k mile LQ4 for $300 from a fellow Illinois Malibu owner who swapped an LS7 in his. Basically, after going to countless cruise nights and shows last year, I decided that my ratty Malibu needed something to stick out from all the other SBC I cars... So I said why not, right? Well I planned on putting the 6.0 in and getting a 2004r trans, and calling it quits and drive it forever.:hsughlol: You all know how that goes!

Engine specs:
Stock internal 03' LQ4
Katech rod bolts
TR224 112LSA cam
918 valve springs
Hardened 9.4" pr's
Titanium retainers (got talked into them by a co-worker)
243 02' Z06 heads w/ hollow stem valves
LS6 intake
Speed Inc. fuel rails
P&P TB w/ matching MAF
CTS-V oil pan, dipstick, windage etc.
Lokar universal throttle cable
MSD wires
Pacsetter F-body LT headers

Trans specs:
Undecided between an FLT Level 4 4L60E, and an SS Mega Monster 4L60E from Monster Transmission
Yank 3600 stall
Aftermarket cooler

Rear end specs:
8.5" GM Grand National/442 housing
Detroit TruTrac differential
GM 3.73 gears
Rebuild kit (from when 3.23 gears were installed)
Undecided on brand of axles, either Superior or Moser

Misc. specs:
83' Turbo Regal fuel tank w/ sending unit
Walbro pump
Painless 60608 complete vehicle harness :hs:
ES poly body bushings
BRP Hotrods motor mounts and trans crossmember
F-body accessory setup
Kwik Performance accessory relocation brackets
Stock A/C :p
Undecided between LS1 front and rear brakes, w/ Grand National Hydroboost setup

That's it really. I'll post up some pictures from before and after I did the interior on it. The car still needs to get painted but I wanted to do all the mechanical work before I painted it, because I know I'll screw up the paint somehow.

79loserbluebu

Jan 24, 2011
Haha alrighty here we go

The car, $3500 on eBay from WI. Was originally an AZ car and still sports the Midway Phoenix Chevrolet badge on the trunk lid
7730_140636413576_681318576_2529368.jpg

The 355 before I spun a bearing being a stupid boy thinking I had a 4 cyl. haha
DSC01612.jpg

Don't mind the family heirloom post hole digger lmao
DSC01452.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

Pypes 2.5" exhaust w/ x-pipe and factory tail pipes
DSC01539.jpg

Seemed like a good idea at the time
DSC01622.jpg

Original dash, not so good
DSC01861.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

Dash painted, Monte SS steering wheel, Cutlass tilt column
DSC01934.jpg

Shot of the rest of the interior
DSC01949.jpg

87' Cutlass radio, with a 3.5mm jack ran through the front console to hook up the iPod to :)
DSC02164.jpg

What one winter yielded so far
DSC02162.jpg

Rear end
DSC01800.jpg

And now pics of engine stuff. The engine hasn't moved since I brought it home, I'd rather assemble it within days of it going into the car. Mainly worried about the cam lube washing off the cam.
Engine
P1240037.jpg

Heads
P1060008.jpg

Accy bracket
P1070015.jpg

P1070016.jpg

I wasn't sure if there is a picture limit per post, so please let me know and I'll edit as needed. The pictures say it all really. I didn't post a picture of the Painless harness because, well a bunch of wires is just nothing to look at. But it is a pretty neat part, but for the cost it better be! If anyone has any questions or input feel free.

I plan on getting the heads worked on at Midwest Engine Tech in Mokena, along with my father's knocking 403 for his 87' Cutlass.

79loserbluebu

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah I couldn't beleive the guy only wanted $300. I actually just posted as a joke and when he PM'd me saying he's gotta get rid of it I jumped all over it!

The car is actually "Pastel Blue" but it's so hard to tell unless it's sitting next to a white car. But yep, gonna repaint it the same color and everything. I used SEM interior paint and I think it turned out pretty good. I bought some new seat buns for the bucket seats over the winter, the old buns are pretty worn and you can see in the pics that the new seat covers didn't fit very well. Hopefully I'll have some progress by the end of the week!

79loserbluebu

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I forgot to mention, the car will be getting a Dakota digital dash :)

I figured since the 4L60E is an electronic output, the cost of converting the signal with a Cable X box, from Abbott, is already $300. Plus, the speedometer goes to 115, and makes noise, and the trip and odometers are inop, as well as dark and dingy.

Ordered the dash from Dakota today. Free shipping in case anyone else was going to get one soon haha.

Quick questions, with my setup, do you all think that titanium retainers are a good idea vs the factory ones? A co-worker has them on his LS1, but his car is a little more radical than this will be.

Also, I bought a TSP ported and shimmed LS6 pump used, off of LS1 tech a while back ago. I also bought the TB and MAF from the same buyer. Costed only $75 so I figured why not. Well should I try the pump out? Or just do it right and buy a brand new one that I know will be good?

And lastly, what stall converters does everyone think I should go with? The recommended stall is between 3200-3600, but I'm torn between brands. Yank seems to have the best rep in terms on durability on the track, but this is a street car and $700 does seem steep for a part I'll never see but maybe 15 minutes before the trans is in the vehicle. I've seen people use Circle-D converters, as well as Vigilante ones. I've also heard *****r stories about TCI and B&M converters.

Appreciate the guidance everyone

79loserbluebu

Jan 24, 2011
Alright appreciate it guys. I was looking at the price of an SLP pump and really $170 does not seem to be too bad of an expense after I bought the fuel rails that I didn't need. Going to end up going with that, an SLP t-stat, and a Yank 3600. It's getting closer and closer to warm weather and I'm still transmission-less!

Thread Info