Reid's 2010 Build Begins....FINALLY!!!

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Reid's 2010 Build

Here's what I've got in the works. I hadn't had the chance to update this first post with my plans until now. There were three main objectives I set for this build. Two of which (Fuel system and ProEFI) are already complete now.

Fuel System:

I planned to build my fuel system around the fact that I was going to run the ProEFI and E85 Flex Fuel system. Therefore, I decided on a set of Precision 1200cc injectors and twin in-tank Bosch 044 pumps. Theoritically, this is enough fuel for approximately 850-900whp on E85 which is more than I plan to make, but having a bit of extra fuel is something that I feel is a nice safety cushion rather than run my fuel system at its limits. The basic layout is to run the twin Bosch pumps in-tank that Y in to a -10 bulkhead on the stock pump hanger (highly modified), run a single -10 line to a 100 micron Stainless Steel fuel filter, Y off to twin -8 feed lines into my SP Fuel Rail, and the -6 lines through the FPR and ProEFI Flex Fuel sensor back to the stock return. Overall, it turned out pretty nice.

ProEFI Standalone:

I have been dying to run the ProEFI system ever since it was first introduced. I was forced to go with used AEM setup last minute last year to alleviate my stock ecu woes and get the car in action. Luckily, I was able to swap over to the ProEFI system this year. I have been completely blown away by its performance and features and can't wait to continue to learn more about it as I drive my car more.

Here is my review of my ProEFI Experience. I will be updating it regularly.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600761

Turbo Setup:

The last part of my build for this year is to re-do my turbo setup. As many know, I have been pushing hard to get an RPS manifold reproduced here at SP, and my dream is becoming a reality. The prototype manifold is near complete and should (crosses fingers) be on my car soon. I will also be combining this with an SP Quick Spool Valve and a new turbo. I have not quite decided on my turbo selection yet, but will when the time comes.

My current turbo kit is for sale in this thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601574

Stay tuned!!

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
As many know, I have recently become part of the SP team but in doing so, have had very little time to work on my own car. Well, tonight I finally dug into her!!

The first part of my 2010 Build is the fuel system. I will list more details later but for now I'm just dead tired. I'll let the pictures do the talking for now. I stayed late tonight at SP (not to work for once!) and got this accomplished.

DSC02031.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

FINALLY GONE!!!
DSC02019.jpg

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

Stock hanger with the single Walbro
DSC02025.jpg

A taste of things to come...
DSC02026.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02027.jpg

Stay tuned...

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
I didn't get a whole lot done tonight. I cleaned up the lower runners in the solvent tank since they looked like crap and re-installed them along with mocking up the fuel rail. I also bent the two 45deg fittings for the pump assembly as you can see in the pics.

Pump assembly layout after bending the 45deg fittings
DSC02033.jpg

Dirty lower runners
DSC02038.jpg

Bath time
DSC02039.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

SP Fuel Rail and Precision 1200cc injectors mocked up
DSC02043.jpg

Lower runners back on
DSC02045.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

SP Rail mocked up again
DSC02050.jpg

More to come!

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Just finished up for the night and got home. I measured and assembled all the AN fittings and fuel lines tonight, as well as ran them under the car. In addition, I finished re-installing the lower runner and put on the fuel rail/injector assembly, and wired in the injector pigtails.

All that's really left is to wire up the relays, finish up the pump hanger assembly, and put the upper plenum back on. More updates tomorrow.

Another little teaser of what's in store for this build
DSC02054.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

Coming back together
DSC02059.jpg

Wiring in the injector pigtails
DSC02060.jpg

Showing the front side -8 feed line
DSC02061.jpg

Idea of the layout when the hanger is complete
DSC02057.jpg

-10 feed line plumbing ran along side the stock layout
DSC02062.jpg

A little further up the car...
DSC02063.jpg

...and the rest of the -10 feed line with the E85 friendly 100micron SS fuel filter
DSC02065.jpg

-10 to twin -8 Y block
DSC02070.jpg

Y block to the twin -8 feed lines
DSC02069.jpg

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Now I know why Sharkey, Nate, and Cameron warned me so much about these pumps.....lol

I was hoping to get the pump assembly finished and in the tank as well as get the upper plenum back on. It turns out that I spent basically the whole night modifying the stock hanger. As some have mentioned, one of the pumps had to be assembled in the tank which really wasn't the biggest issue. The worst part was trying to get the factory fuel level sensor bolted back on with everything in the tank since I couldn't fit everything in with it still bolted on.

I also want to give a big thanks to Sharkey for his input today and a HUUGGEEE thanks to Vince for putting up with me all night. It definitely would not have gotten done without him!!

Here's a couple of pics from the night:

Modifying the stock hanger
DSC02072.jpg

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

-10 Bulkhead in place
DSC02075.jpg

Vince doing his thing!
DSC02085.jpg

More Long Hair
DSC02088.jpg

Mounting bracket for the Bosch 044's
DSC02079.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

DSC02090.jpg

Filter sock fittings modified as they can get sucked up into the pump
DSC02084.jpg

**Somehow I didn't get a picture of the final pump assembly after slaving on it for hours. Oh well...

Do not attempt this install if you have big hands (like me)
DSC02094.jpg

Ahhh finally in!!
DSC02095.jpg

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
So close to firing!! I just primed the fuel pumps for the first time and can't see any leaks. Hopefully none show up. We're going to make a few adjustments to the AEM (since I went from stock injectors to 1200cc's!!) and probably a hit or two on the dyno. Then, assuming no issues, she'll be ready for the RPM car show tomorrow and Import Wars drag racing on Sunday.

WISH ME LUCK!!! I'll post back after I start her up.

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
ProEFI Install

Why do I seem to always rip the car apart right before an event?! I was able to persuade Larry to help out and start the ProEFI install tonight. I did what I could while he worked his magic getting the wiring harness ready to go into the car. The goal is to have the car finished and running on E85 for the dyno day and drag day of Chi2k10.

While he was in there, Larry also removed a crapload of useless wires that I have been dying to get rid of for the past few years from my old turbo timer and a crappy alarm system and a few other misc parts no longer in the car.

Here are a couple pictures from the night:

Ripped apart again...
DSC02199.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

HKS DLI, Greddy boost controller, and oem ignitor all removed!
DSC02195.jpg

AEM wideband removed as well
DSC02197.jpg

Part of the rat's nest removed by Lar
DSC02200.jpg

ProEFI harness ready to go in!
DSC02202.jpg

CAN Gauge flush mounted. Please excuse the scratched up dash piece. I will be restoring it to an original finish when time permits
DSC02203.jpg

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
UPDATE:

I have been a bit busy from Chi2k10 and the last week at SP so didn't get a chance to update. The only thing I really hadn't documented yet was my ProEFI Flex Fuel sensor mounting location.

Also, many have heard but I put down 702whp @ 32psi at the Chi2k10 Dyno Day, then made a 10.63 @ 137mph pass at the Chi2k10 Drag Day. This was on the first run, I snapped an axle on the next run. More to come!!

Pics of my Flex Fuel sensor mounted:

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02253.jpg

Video of dyno runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2wcoegZmk&playnext=1&videos=9eRbiortQ8M

Video of 10.63 pass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7Uf2paImk

Video of snapping the axle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pA1SKcEuyQ

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Update:

After clogging up my second set of fuel injectors, I finally realized my stupidity and got a Weldon 10 Micron fuel filter to replace my 100 Micron unit. Taking off the stock intake manifold three times this summer is not fun!! I seriously hope this was the last time.

I also needed some -10 male to male (oh yeahh) fittings since my old filter was different than the new Weldon. I chose the Weldon because it is incredibly difficult to find an E85-friendly 10 micron filter with -10 inlets/outlets. My buddy Mike is running this filter on his ProEFI/E85 setup so I decided to be a copy-cat.

The first pic also shows my new Carbotech pads that cost their weight in gold. Despite the much higher price (especially compared to my current Hawks), I have always wanted to try these so hopefully the investment was worth it. I went with the staggered setup with the XP10 compound for the fronts and XP8 for the rears.

Cleaned Precision 1200cc injectors, Weldon fuel filter, and Carbotech pads:
DSC02880.jpg

Old 100 micron and new Weldon 10 micron filters:
DSC02881.jpg

New Weldon filter and -10 adapter fittings:
DSC02884.jpg

DSC02886.jpg

I should get it all back together tonight. Then it's back to SP and the good ol' 68mm turbo kit is coming off for good.......

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
TURBO KIT REMOVAL:

I finished up removing the turbo kit late last night (actually, like more like early his morning...). Everything is boxed up short of the intercooler piping and Ol' Reliable (68mm turbo) and off to -GWOOD- as the new owner! He is receiving the kit with a brand new 6765 Billet that I included with the sale.

Downpipe, midpipe, and dump tube off
DSC02989.jpg

Intercooler piping off
DSC02997.jpg

Since I installed this with the manifold, turbo, and wastegate assembled, this is actually the first time I have taken the compressor cover off:
DSC02999.jpg

DSC03001.jpg

DSC03019.jpg

DSC03020.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

I was actually very impressed how smooth the manifold was. I believe it had the slag cleaned out
DSC03024.jpg

Tial 44mm Wastegate
DSC03017.jpg

NOTE FOR KEITH: You must grind this exhaust stud for proper manifold fitment (approximately 1/2" is needed to be ground down)
DSC03028.jpg

NOTE FOR KEITH: Aerial shot of ground down stud:
DSC03029.jpg

Ol' Reliable in all of her glory
DSC03012.jpg

Gotta love E85. I can't believe this turbine wheel is still intach after the hundreds of Anti-Lag hits I abused it with!!!
DSC03013.jpg

Daily Driving sure takes a toll on parts!
DSC03031.jpg

I'll repolish the piping up shortly
DSC03032.jpg

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
TURBO KIT REMOVAL CONTINUED...

Empty and lonely for now...until new SP RPS redesigned Manifold mock up next week!!
(Please excuse rusty residue. I had a coolant line break previously and haven't been able to clean it up until now)

DSC03061.jpg

Turbo kit ready to package and ship to Keith!! New gaskets, nuts and bolts supplied as needed. I also went through each part and cleaned them up before shipping.
DSC03033.jpg

Small parts sorted and itemized along with a few helpful hints and install tips
DSC03036.jpg

Everything packaged and padded up before filling in the BIG ass box!
DSC03056.jpg

Last look before sealing it up :'(
DSC03058.jpg

Stay tuned for next week...

Reid

Thread Info