Sprayin Has A Mid-Life Crisis

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Well. Almost. It's not a Corvette.

In this years episode of "I'm absolutely going to regret this and under no circumstances should I do this...annnndddd I did it", I present to you my newest junker. This fine specimen represents the creme de la creme of 90s technology and innovation.

20190223_152512.jpeg

It's a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. AWD Turbo. 5 speed manual. The color is... Tan? Gold? I can't really tell. But it's got character. Picked it up in San Antonio and trusted it to make it 3 hours back to Houston. And what do you know, this little POS made it.

It smokes out the exhaust under deceleration. It occasionally blows the dipstick tube out under acceleration. Idk what is wrong with it but it's a turd. I think just needs a little bit of love.

Dude told me the mods he knows about are:

16G Turbo.
"700 something injectors". I'm guessing he means 700cc.
Manual boost controller
"Some sort of tune. Idk what it is. Probably needs tuned. The ECU is by the gas pedal and it's got a cord or something." That one is going to be a little difficult to decipher.
Full Exhaust. By which he means Catback. And he used aluminum foil as a gasket on the turbo to O2 housing flange.
Boost gauge that flickers and changes color when I adjust the dimmer. AFR gauge that reads God knows what.
Full (?) suspension from what I understand. Coilovers in the back. Dropped up front. I'll have to verify.
Super highflow holes drilled in the running light lens.

Next steps:
Get it running properly
Paul Walker tribute sticker
FMIC
Tune

Then we will see where the wind blows.

It's really not that bad of a car. It drives surprisingly well on the highway. The pop-up lights work. The interior isn't bad. The radio works and is still stock. It's kind of fun too.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow in the sunlight.

Roast me.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's probably the 16yr old 16g turbo that's smoking under decel, but the dipstick blowing out is 99.9% because of crankcase pressure and is likely an old motor. People usually just ziptie it down and go on with life.

I *think* the color is pewter mist or something like that, kinda gold kinda silver, kinda whatever.

The "tune" is probably a maf calibrator thing, that was popular back then, but it's 100% not tuned properly at all :rofl: And it does look lowered in the front, which means you likely have .3" of suspension travel and/or are sitting on the bump stops.

Anyways, I love DSM's so hopefully you can kinda make it nice but not treat it like a piece of shit civic and fuck it up. Those things are rare to find anywhere close to the condition that one is in. I will be looking forward to updates! :bigthumb:

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Like... turn it into a piece of shit. Like do stupid shit to it. Essentially, don't do what made DSM's get the reputation DSM's got. If it was a rusted out piece of shit from here, fuck it, but that isn't a bad example of one, ya know? It still has a chance, it could still graduate high school and perhaps move on to college.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
It really isn't bad at all. The hood needs paint and there is a rust spot and some bubbles on the passenger door.

I haven't ordered anything yet. Trying to navigate the DSM world for the first time is an undertaking. Hard to tell what's good and not. And I wanna get it running proper before I mod it more.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Did a compression test: 70, 125, 115, 125.

Put oil in cylinder one and it popped up to 125.

Now me and the mad scientist gotta tear apart the block to replace the piston rings that are fried!!

Nah, it'll be fine. That's what that snail thing is for, instant compression boost. Oil burning is good, forces you to keep circulating brand new oil into the engine.

Thread Info