Dick Rimz

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I got a truck with 24 penises

So I loved the SS and I miss it a lot but with NLA stuff and never really treating it how it should have been treated, and almost being out of the B2B warranty, I traded it in. And I needed a truck.

They had to do a dealer trade for this pickup truck with OE dick rims. Very long story short and succinct, it arrived and spent four weeks in the bay because of DEF mysteries. They replaced a lot of stuff. I have yet to go through the entirety of the records, but it was a logical progression up the tree, and I guess I get it. Supposedly there's a TSB coming out thanks to this (it was the goddamn PCM). Asked the salesguy if they'd name it after us, he laughed and said "I asked them the same thing".

Unfortunately, they won't do that for us. Bummer. In the meantime I had a V6 ZR2 CCSB loaner and it was a very nice experience to go through so I could see if I had made the right choice in those departments. The V6 was quick as hell, all things considered, but droned on me a lot and even though the 8 speed kept it nicely in the powerband and shifted smoothly, I'd rather it not be doing all that shifting when it doesn't need to be. And the CC is very doable for passengers. I was pretty surprised at how decent it was back there, but I needed the bed space. And I'll preface my next statement with the fact that I've never met an NA V6 sound I've loved... It didn't sound great and at the same time continuously reminded you it was there. The diesel is silent when you want it to be and the gas buzzes at you in that truck.

And it arrived with an OEM folding tonneau instead of a block heater. So that was kind of surprising.

It's Graphite Metallic. Would have liked Kinetic Blue but there wasn't one available within range with the options I wanted. Plus it was like $400 for that chip and I was trying to keep costs down as much as possible. Doesn't help that everything seemed to at least have nav and bose, neither of which I really care for and neither of which did I want to pay for (but of course you have to anyway). So this one has soft folding tonneau (should have been a block heater), Bose, nav, and the diesel. Those are the options altogether. I didn't know this until after I got the truck, but you can't get ECLB diesel unless you get the ZR2 trim... seems like an odd decision on GM's part, but I don't really spend much time anymore wondering why GM does what GM does.

pnIjpt.png

Last edited:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
It was a dealer trade from WI. They went to go pick it up, it triggered the DEF warning along the way back here, then they spent four weeks trying to hunt down the problem as the warning message itself never went away. It ended up being stuck logic in the PCM. So while the original problem was probably just one of the nox sensors (who shit the bed frequently), the stuck failure message wouldn't rectify itself no matter what, but they kept treating it as a failed test. Eventually the GM Engineer stepped in and said "hey all these parameters are right and the test is completing successfully, the PCM just isn't cooperating".

Along the way, a couple repair attempts were erroneously logged as diagnostics, so automatic escalation at GM came a bit later than it should have. Also I guess they said they've only ever seen this once before, and it was on the big boy diesel (can't remember if it was the Silverado or the Sierra), hence why it took so long. I believe they replaced both nox sensors, the fluid, the tank heater, the tank, the injector, maybe an intermediate control unit or module... I don't know, I'll have the novel shortly though.

The other issue I'm wrestling with is there were two trucks in range that matched the parameters I was looking for, and we ended up negotiating over the wrong one's options list. So I got a tonneau instead of a block heater. The heater is cheap but the install is a bit of a pain, so I was trying to get them to make it right (don't care for the tonneau anyway), but that isn't working out so great. I think they were happy it was out of their hair and don't ever want to deal with that PITA again or something. But they let me drive a ZR2 for three of those four weeks, it was brand new and I put 700 miles on it while waiting, and hauled some yard stuff around dirtying the bed up a bit. And they took $1k off the deal. So... I really really can't complain. My biggest issue is I have a lot of anxiety driving someone else's shit, so it was a really nice feeling to get the truck done.

And I don't have a problem with the wheels enough to get new ones, but once someone pointed out they look like the cock n balls rims, that's all I see now.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I was on the fence between the 6.0 and the 6.6 diesel when I ordered my Denali a couple months ago. I'm glad I went with the LS 6.0. The DEF issues alone would drive me nuts. Is this your first diesel?

Yes, first diesel, first truck with a bed too. If the DEF etc issues are enough of a pain, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get rid of that shit. I'm not really a fan of deleting emissions equipment but I'm also not going to have the truck hamstrung or continuously in the shop for it either. But first I have to sort out all the other potential issues and weak spots like the IC tubing since I will no longer have a powertrain warranty at that point.

...since I wasn’t looking for Cock and Balls...

Yeah well it just comes so naturally to some of us. Life is so much more fun if you look for the penises in everything you look at.

Also, interestingly enough, the same dealer who sold the SS to me will likely be selling it for more when it’s two years old and 30k miles later.... Kind of crazy to think about IMO

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Nice truck.

How tall is it to the door sill?

Thanks, I lost my tape measure again and need to get a new one, glad you reminded me. It's not super high, a couple inches above my knee maybe? Much shorter than a Raptor I'd think.

Name change to Dick Rimz

No way man, I only rock mature usernames.

Thread Info