GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Hi forum,

I just want to share my build, it's my daily driven...
First of all my car is a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis which is a Ford product made under the Panther Body Platform which means poverty I know.
It's trim line is one step below the LSE, mine is an LS Ultimate edition, it has some decent features like traction control, rear air suspension etc :drums: .
I choose this car because America likes (or used to like) Big cars with V8s and because it's super comfortable, spacious and has a cave in the trunk, and because this car is not a race car by any means I decided to do some minor upgrades both for show and to improve the acceleration.

to make the story short, my original idea was to build an engine with with budget parts, 4.6 engine, continental heads etc. Fortunately, a good friend of mine bought a wrecked Mercury Marauder and he intended to fix it, unfortunately for him the marauder had some frame damage and it would have cost him a lot of money to fix it, so he parted it out. I bought the complete power train minus the differential and swapped it into my grand marquis. I now have a DOHC engine in my car, a better torque converter and an aluminum drive shaft.
Here are a few pictures of the process.

This is the wrecked marauder.
B4yLJ3x.jpg

lpuLqIu.jpg

wQjU4Ta.jpg

FCY2VVg.jpg

U3PGBjb.jpg

jFjkO66.jpg

After getting the engine into my compadre's garage I decided to replaced the timing chain components seals and gaskets and water pump. the engine had 113k miles, I think that for the mileage it was internally super clean with no sludge or any sign of excessive wearing. I also added the rear head cooling mode, something that is super important on these particular heads. win.
2SIaYs6.jpg

YnAHJvf.jpg

Qo9UJrS.jpg

GolFomJ.jpg

lDAmJjV.jpg

Hn62cVB.jpg

h2gE5rF.jpg

Before I started the swap, I was advised by [MENTION=8513]musclemerc[/MENTION] that this engine has more aggressive fuel injectors, so he advised to that to be in the safe side I should use a better fuel pump, he was so kind that he even provided me with a fuel pump from a Ford Gt supercar at no cost. With this pump I can run a supercharge with no problem. Thanks so much bro.
xDHuBCC.jpg

Hers is the swap pics, my old 2v and then with the 4v in.
t71Ap4v.jpg

943dFaC.jpg

iW5hg0Z.jpg

caez5Ew.jpg

u7wwTrB.jpg

V71GyZG.jpg

jwG2RQ9.jpg

h4qyaH3.jpg

ewmBsqt.jpg

lRPqo4J.jpg

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
After the swap was done I had some minor bugs that I have already fixed.
1, the the power steering pressure sensor was different and threw a code. replaced the sensor for the correct one. Fixed
2, car overheated. after adding a new thermostat and new water pump i had a little struggle finding out why it was overheating. I bled the system the proper way two times and the problem persisted. Then I tried to bleed it for a third time but this time I touched the bottom hoses and they were cool as to where the top hoses were burning hot, this meant it was a faulty thermostat. A brand new duralast thermostat, I replaced it with a stant brand and now it's all good. duralast never again.
3, temperature sensor code, I replaced the sensor and didn't fix it. I had to go to some deep search and after spending so much time I found out that there was an incompatibility between the Marauder engine harness and my car harness. So I had to re-pin a wire located in a connector before the computer. fixed.
4, digital transmission sensor code. This had me going crazy too, I replaced the sensor and the problem persisted. This made the car idle higher and hard shift. after a deep research i found out that there was another wiring incompatibility. I re-pinned a wire in another connector and it's now fixed.
5, ABS code. The marauder didn't have traction control and my grand marquis did. so clearly to fix this I have to replace the ABS module from a non traction control grand marquis or marauder.

It is a huge enjoyment driving this boat making some muscle noise. I'm not done yet, I still need to upgrade the gearings on the differential sicne my grand marquis has 2.73 gears open while the marauder had 3.55 with track lock. My speed is off by about 5 miles lol. After getting this done I will be complete.
I have an X pipe on it with magnaflows. sound nice.

Thanks everyone for watching...

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Very cool. Skip the 3.55 and go straight for 4.10s on that boat. :rofl:

I have thought about it but since it's a daily car I feel like 3.55 would be enough to Mark the pavement. I don't know yet, I've been told many times that after putting 3.55 I will want more and will regret not putting 4.10. Not sure what to do.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have thought about it but since it's a daily car I feel like 3.55 would be enough to Mark the pavement. I don't know yet, I've been told many times that after putting 3.55 I will want more and will regret not putting 4.10. Not sure what to do.

3.73 = better highway mileage than 4.10s but similar performance to 3.55s. 4.10s with sticky tires would be fun but you might need to upgrade the axles/rear end. My Cobra was crazy quick off the line with 4.10s but that car had too much power and blew off the tires in the first 4 gears.

Really interesting and unusual project. Nice work. :toast:

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
3.73 = better highway mileage than 4.10s but similar performance to 3.55s. 4.10s with sticky tires would be fun but you might need to upgrade the axles/rear end. My Cobra was crazy quick off the line with 4.10s but that car had too much power and blew off the tires in the first 4 gears.

Really interesting and unusual project. Nice work. :toast:
Maybe I'll try 3.73s. I I am more inclined to 3.55 because in crown Victoria's from 2006 and up had 3.55 as an option with track locks and 31 spline style axles. There are many of them in the junk yards, I'm looking for a 2010 or 2011 :D. I think that would be a huge jump from my 2.73 open with 28 spline.
I'm thinking to replace the while differential assembly to avoid screwing around with gear calibration.

Thread Info