I DEFINITELY made a mistake, aka 'Dasfinc has mental issues'

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Our fleet continues to change as I picked up a Eddie Bauer edition 2000 Ford Explorer:

This is by far, the nicest example I've EVER come across. Owned by an older couple in my town, it's a fully loaded EB edition, and is visually nearly flawless with 125,000 on the clock.

It need some front suspension components (ball joint or CV is bad on the driver side front, slight clunk under accel), and it is weeping at the rear, but with a spare motor in my garage I'm not especially concerned.

The future of the Ranger may suddenly be Dubious, but priorities change, and I still get to enjoy working on this platform and will throw my fresh motor into this truck at some point this year.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Always liked those EB editions. Nice pickup.

I really wanted to pick up a Burban for hauling/utility duties, but we shifted directions a bit and instead put money into the newer 4 door cooper, and you would not BELIEVE what I paid for this.....

These are rated for 7500lbs, which is significant (although brave for the travel trailer we may be able to get). But I couldn't sanction a vehicle purchase around a free travel trailer in the end, so we will just buy one more appropriate for this truck in the end.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Good news and Bad news so far:

Good news - a bottle of Bars stop leak seems to have plugged the rear main seal weep.

Bad news - Transmission is definitely a little confused/slow if driven hard while cold (was in a rush this morning and was on it a little hard before it warmed up). No slips or shudders, just a little lethargic to get into gear when switching from reverse to drive.

Pretty typical with low or tired fluid on the 4R70w's, so I'm going to just knock out all drivetrain fluids next weekend (front/rear diff, trans and filter).

I'll do the oil and coolant a bit later, want to let the Bars do its thing to make sure the rear seal is as good as it's gonna get.

Side-note, ZERO smoke on dead cold start, which continues to solidify my purchase as being solid.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Add-A-Leaf, and lift shackles ordered to bring the tail up 2-3 inches, and some Rancharo 5000 series shocks for the front intended for a 1.5-2.5 inch torsion crank lift in the nose.

Also confirmed the Trans fluid was low (very bottom of the stick), going to top it off with a bottle of Lucas and see where it puts it.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Add-A-Leaf, and lift shackles ordered to bring the tail up 2-3 inches, and some Rancharo 5000 series shocks for the front intended for a 1.5-2.5 inch torsion crank lift in the nose.

Also confirmed the Trans fluid was low (very bottom of the stick), going to top it off with a bottle of Lucas and see where it puts it.

Should have just went with an old Expedition again if you getting rid of ranger (toy) and want to toy something. I have had multiple explorers and would not want to tow much of anything with them. Especially a reasonably sized travel trailer/camper if that's what you were looking at. At least you still have the stang :jg:

Thread Info