Sprayin's 86 Capri Poverty Edition

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Oh yes folks, it's time again for "What stupid shit did I waste my tax return on?" 2017 Edition.

Today we bring you a 1986 Mercury Capri. Bask in all of its peasant glory. This was the special "Golden Shower" edition.

aba560fb513597bee3eda985a5ced883.jpg

This year I actually went all in and bought a car that actually....... RUNS AND DRIVES! Gone are the days of buying a roller that sits in my garage for 4 months and then gets sold without ever doing anything to it! Promotion from peasant to pleb.

This is a true AZ car, so there isn't any rust on it. That normally means that paint is sun baked to shit with the clear flaking off bigly. It is actually not all the bad on this one. It's a bit faded, but I think that a nice wash, polish, and wax could really clean it up.

The interior is a complete mess. It seems to be mostly there. What is there seems to be mostly complete too, its just mostly taken apart and laying in the hatch. It needs a real good cleaning, but nothing that I'm terribly upset about. The seats even seem to be in relatively good nick.

Then there is The Ugly. Previous owner decided to take off the bubble hatch, the Capri taillights, and the Capri rear bumper and replaced it with 87+ Mustang GT stuff off a white car. The color isn't a *horrible* mismatch but the body panels look like they are from completely different cars. Shame. Keeping my eyes out for Mustang LX stuff since Capri people all collectively hit their head and think their shit is made of pure gold.

Bought the car with the guy admitting a few problems with the car. He stated that the transmission grinds going into second and he thinks it needs a syncro. After driving the car for a little bit, I'm not sure I agree with that. I think the trans is fine. It appears to be leaking fluid from the tailshaft, so going to investigate low fluid.

Brake booster is bad. Can hear it hissing. Still stops, but needs a replace. Heater core is bad (its a Fox, of course it is). But the car came with a replacement, so I may be doing that.

Besides that, car is pretty solid overall. Going to be doing a lot of stuff to clean it up and getting it running and driving well before I try to blow it up with a 200 shot. Anyways, here's a few pictures for me to look at in regret once I sell it.

45a1db6b50da7330d8bea3ddb712f02d.jpg

18aeb857953e1eae902e87387d5bf897.jpg

b012500d4decb68a15b0489c7e6e231b.jpg

c7edb598625b6876c9b09f907f5d7d29.jpg

Eww

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
There are some mechanical issues I can tell right away. It has a grinding noise when running. I think it's the smog pump and possibly the tensioner. They sounded pretty nasty when turning by hand with the belt off.

The fan shroud is zip tied on. And the fan hits it. Need to center that up or remove it for an electric one.

Thread Info