F-Body 8" sub modifications

Anyone who has owned a 4th gen F-body knows that the stock Monsoon 6.75 dual voice coil speakers in the rear sail panels suck. I've thought about upgrading these speakers for some time and I finally did it. I looked around trying to see if others have modified the stock location 6 inch subs to an 8 inch. There is not a whole lot of information on this. I know I'm not the only person who has attempted this, but not alot if people have shown others how to do it. I thought I'd add something new and show off my work.

First off about 10 years ago I added about 17 full sheets of Dynamat to sound proof my car. It added about 30 pounds, so it's not that big of a deal.

I chose 2 Pioneer TS-Sw2002D2-8 sub woofers.
Pioneer TS-SW2002d2 8" 600W Shallow Subwoofer with Dual 2" Voice Coils - Walmart.com

or here if you have more money than brains.
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 Shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

I removed the plastic sail panels and removed the speakers. I used the included trim template and made a plywood template.

Next using this template I placed it where I wanted the speaker to be located. So after I traced the template on to the Dynmat let the cutting begin.

I just used a Dremel cut off wheel to cut everything out, then I used a grinding stone to smooth out the razor sharp edges. Inside the fender well I had to trim about 1/2" away from the existing hole, just for clearance issues. I then put some more Dynamat everywhere I could get it.

Then covered that hole with even more Dynamat.

To transfer the 6 mounting screw locations I used the template I made.

There is a good sized gap were the edge closest to the door is. I used Dynamat , again, to build up layers so the speaker sits flat. once done I just used a box knife to trim the extra away making it look nice.

After the gap was filled and my 6 holes were drilled I decided to use machine screws instead of the included screws that come in the box. I just pushed the screw in from the backside of the hole and used a nut to lock the screw into place. I felt that the sheet metal was so thin that a self taping screw would not grab and hold tight. After placing the speaker in I used some nylock nuts to secure it. I cut the studs sticking out sot the sail panel would fit again without rubbing.

So to finish everything up I placed the sail panel back into place and it was nice to see that nothing from the outside was out of the ordinary.

So the only other thing I noticed was that the new speaker hit the panel when the volume was cranked up. Not pictured, but to fix this I had some high density foam insulation laying around and placed it between the speaker holed flange and the panel. I used some double sided tape to keep that shim in place. That worked out perfectly.

This modification took me about 12 hours of cutting and drilling and making adjustments, but it was totally worth it. The sound quality is so much better.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'm not familiar with the fbody sound setup....do you just have the subs as the rears now or are there other rears someplace else?

4th gen F-bodies also at times had speakers in the rear hatch section. I think those may have been Monsoon equipped cars only though.

3rd gens had the rear speakers in the sale panels and that was it. They sucked for bass.

Some early thirdgen's had a factory sub mounted in the rear hatch cargo well. You lose space, but got bass.

3rd gen sound systems sucked.

Those speakers in the back seat are the stock subs.

stock are 6" I just put in 8"

The speakers can handle 300W RMS @2ohm. With my old ass amp I'm pushing 120W RMS @4 ohm. I had the subs wired in parallel which when bridged took them to 1 ohm. The amp is only 2 amp stable so it kept cutting out and was going into over voltage protect. So I had to wire them in series which when bridged took it to 4 ohms. It still sounds great although I'm only running them at about 1/3 of what they can handle.

I'm still running the stock radio and still have the Monsoon amp running the rest of the speakers. If I had an amp that could push the new subs at 100% I would have to get another 4 channel amp just to hear something besides bass. This set-up seems to work great and I'm very happy with it.

Sorry for being so nerdy.......

Looks good!

this is awesome

woah. thats pretty bad ass :eek3:

Ohh, and nice upgrade, very clean. I'll bet that sounds super nice.

i have 6" woofers in the back seat area and infiniti door and hatch speakers.

thumps pretty good.

awesome job, nice and clean, stock appearance :bigthumb:

this is awesome i was just thinking i wish the stock sub in the trunk of my mustang was louder.

:fy: nice setup.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Nice write up, luckily I have the monsoon system so I just replaced the sail panel speakers and put in a stealth sub box like this.

3c49c52e8815913681c13108aa6816c2.jpg

Let's me keep using my t top holders and sounds great.

Thread Info