Long Write Up on My LS Build

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
So, I’ve been wanting to make a build thread on my car for a while. I’m really not grudge racing and don’t have much to hide, except for what my car actually runs.

In October of 2014 my stock LS1 with 150k miles on it blew from a bad injector that was stuck open out of the box. Since speed had done all of the work on my cars in the past I knew I would take it to them for the new build. At first I was going to try and rebuild what I had and call it a day. However, Tony and Tom at Speed convinced me my best bet was to go with something more powerful. I am really glad that I did.

For the Motor, I went with a custom 409 LS short block from Texas Speed.
Custom Built Forged 409 CID:
New GM 6.0 Aluminum Block
TSP 4.00" 24x Forged Crank,
TSP 6.125" H-Beam Rods with ARP 8740 Bolts,
Wiseco 464X35 -3cc Flat-Top
Piston Set, Steel Top/Napier 2nd Ring Set,
Clevite Bearings

AFR Mongoose Heads 230cc Heads
Custom Grind Cam
102 MM FAST Intake with Holley Throttle Body
Speed Density Tuned

I already had Texas Speed Headers and Exhaust on the car. I wanted to keep a 4L60 in the car, so I had FLT build me a level six trans (more on that later). I also had a lot of my suspension upgraded from UMI.

f0HOXqB.jpg

zK6AppP.jpg
[/IMG]
hJpddBn.jpg

fv1wJaQ.jpg

On motor only, the car made 501 HP and 484 lbs Torque.

Jusjo2l.jpg

V0cyKS4.jpg

I decided to switch to a 26” radial tire. After the first track run, my rear end was screaming at me so I brought the car back into speed for an S60 and 3.73 gear.

After getting used to the car on motor, I decided to add nitrous. I ended up putting a complete kit on it from Nitrous Outlet. I am still working my way up on shots and experimenting to see what works best for my car. Below is a shot under the hood, sorry for the horrible pic, I just took it while in my dark garage.

016wBRK.jpg

I tried for a long time to get the 4L60 to work, but I kept blowing transmissions. In October I upgraded to a Turbo 400, and been very happy with it. After switching out the transmission and putting it on a trans brake I decided to switch to a 28” slick.

I really don’t have any big plans for the car as of now. I have done more work on the suspension and will probably mess with that a little bit more as time goes on.

Big shout out to Speed for the amazing build and customer service. Also, I have my own personal mechanic that works on the car when I need. So big shout out to Nick Manchen for always treating my car like it was his and doing what was the best for it.

Feel free to ask questions, and I’ll answer to the best of my ability.

hx3T2F4.jpg

U5vAR9G.jpg

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
No luck even with a max build 4l60 huh? That really sucks. If my stock one ever decides to make its way out I'll go with an 80 probably. Sucks comparing the price to a 400 though.
Awesome build though. Glad to know that's why you came around me so hard at the hat race last year lol

Yeah, and to be honest there is not one thing I miss about the 4L60. I love the feeling of the turbo 400, even while driving it around town.

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
So how did you like the MT street tire for the KOTS event?

Had it on the gto, skated all over, and never went above 120mph. I'm sure there is a better tire under a 300 tread wear.

I was really happy with it. It was my first time running on a hard tire. I just babied it out of the whole, short shifted into second, and made it up on the top end.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
No luck even with a max build 4l60 huh? That really sucks. If my stock one ever decides to make its way out I'll go with an 80 probably. Sucks comparing the price to a 400 though.
Awesome build though. Glad to know that's why you came around me so hard at the hat race last year lol

I don't think I've ever heard of a 4L60 hold power past 550-600 wheel for very long. TH400 is definitely the way to go!

What converter did you put in front of it [MENTION=10405]Loanshark[/MENTION]?

Thread Info