ChiLAX's Evo X

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I drove a normal car for a while, and then I was all like "Nah." It's a 2014 GSR with the SSS package, 33k miles. All stock.

Thanks to [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] for the heads up on R&D performance, they were really helpful!

13501848_4759072971849_6384333075130710678_n.jpg

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
Took it to GLD last night, pretty disappointed with the numbers I got. My best time was my first run, a 13.8 @100 with a not so great 2.1 60'. Ran it 5 more times, and whittled the 60' down to a 1.91, but ran a 14.1. ET and traps were getting consistently slower each run, while getting better 60's, and I started worrying that I may have developed a boost leak or hurt the motor in some way. Was really hoping for a 13.5 or better, since the weather was pretty amazing last night.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
The 10s werent exactly blazing from the factory tho, were they?

Time for parts.

I guess I got frustrated when my launch was improving, but my times were getting worse. I feel like if I had ripped off a 1.9 on my first run I could have had a 13.5 easy. Stock it seems like most people are between 13.5-14, but with 65* temps, I had my hopes up. Maybe heat soaked? I don't know.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I autocrossed an X MR a while back and it didn't take long for the computer to lock out launch control because of heat issues. They might be tuned very conservatively for self-preservation.

The transmission cooler on it is just undersized for track conditions.

Crazy to think the engine oil temps get up to 300 in these things stock at the track.

Project EVO X, Keeping the engine oil and SST tranny cool!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
They're pretty held back with factory tunes. I raced my friends s2000 and I was disappointed that him and I were dead even. I thought it was faster than that, but with a couple bolt-ons and a tune they are a lot faster. Unfortunately they're built out of really expensive glass. You'll see, especially if you're going to drag race it often. Very expensive cars to fix, and they break all the time.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
They're pretty held back with factory tunes. I raced my friends s2000 and I was disappointed that him and I were dead even. I thought it was faster than that, but with a couple bolt-ons and a tune they are a lot faster. Unfortunately they're built out of really expensive glass. You'll see, especially if you're going to drag race it often. Very expensive cars to fix, and they break all the time.

I wasn't planning on going past intake/exhaust/tune for awhile, are they that unreliable even with minor bolt ons?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If it was an MR yes, definitely lol. Those transmissions are garbage.

A GSR should be fine with bolt-ons as long as you're not drag racing it. You'll definitely need a clutch with the bolt-ons, the stocker gets used up fast. I *think* they fixed the timing chain issues before your model year, but that's always there. The spark plug insulators falling off and destroying motors is another big problem. Look up some of the more common things that go wrong, they'll usually have a fix for it before it becomes a problem, IE different spark plugs.

Also, if you're parked on a hill, don't leave it in a gear that spins the motor backwards. Lots off horror stories from that, if the motor spins backwards it's like the world is ending :rofl: That was about 5yrs ago when I owned one for a very brief time, I swear 50% of the posts were about broken cars, but they were like '08s and fist model year cars are always the worse, especially with Mitsu.

Thread Info