Well reliability is overrated...

So I decided that reliability is overrated so I'm selling the Jeep and I picked up an insane deal on a Mitsubishi Galant VR4. So I now present to you 313/1000!!! Still determining what has been done to it as the guy I bought it from didn't know all the details, but seems to have some mild fuel upgrades, along with some other small stuff. The engine was rebuilt with Wiseco Pistons, but still determining the rods.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
DSM's are only "unreliable" because of the hack shit owners that run them into the ground, put the cheapest piece of shit parts on them, and beat the shit out of them relentlessly.

The actual cars are reliable AF, but there aren't any left that haven't been molested. That GVR4 looks like it's not that bad, I hope you can bring old girl back to life. Will definitely sub this thread for updates.

Need to fix a few things before I start to make it quicker such as new windshield, wiper motor, brake hard lines.
General outline of what will be done to it is injectors, fuel pump, dsmlink, flex fuel sensors, e85 tune(400hp ish), a lot of stuff is already done to it, so it's mostly fuel system and it should be ready to put out some decent power!
May swap turbo as I believe it's a knock off of a 20g, so potentially fp68hta...

DSM's are only "unreliable" because of the hack shit owners that run them into the ground, put the cheapest piece of shit parts on them, and beat the shit out of them relentlessly.

The actual cars are reliable AF, but there aren't any left that haven't been molested. That GVR4 looks like it's not that bad, I hope you can bring old girl back to life. Will definitely sub this thread for updates.

Believe me I've stated that they can be reliable in my dsm thread, but this one seems to be a little hacked together, which is why I said unreliable. I will do my best to get it back to being a good daily!

I want! Didn't know they made a VR4 Galant.

Yup they made 3000 of them so they aren't exactly the most well known, they had to introduce production of them in order to participate in Group A rally in the US, but were replaced by the lighter evo I in late 1992.
[MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] the nile black looks good on the vr4's but color isn't exactly how I buy a car, I now have 3 white cars and generally I don't like white cars haha
[MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] Yeah found that when I got home, it's a neat feature being able to have amber or green.
[MENTION=10534]P40E[/MENTION] I hope to find a factory or non straight pipe exhaust soon. What I'd love to do is keep the 3" downpipe and finally get to use electric cut outs!!!(I've wanted to for a long time, but not worth trying to be a sleeper on the Talon)

Really excited to get this back on the road, but the jeep needs to sell first as I don't want to buy new plates... Also it will pay for the parts I need such as windshield, wiper motor, and new hard lines.

Also update on the fuel leak, I believe I have found the source(or at least one of them) the fuel pump hanger seems to have a sealant that is gooey and probably not safe with gas, or wasn't allowed proper set time.

Not hating on evo's, just pointing out some facts haha. Anyways started to work on bringing back the paint finish, been using rubbing compound, polishing, and carnauba wax and it seems to be coming back fairly nicely besides a few spots that have chipped over the years... Also the fuel pump gave me shit the last two days, thought it was the hack job wiring but replaced the relay and it worked, but then went to start it today and found that it is in fact the wiring... so ordering the walbro rewire kit from stm and will do it right! The pump hanger is only held down by one nut/bolt so I'm sure thats my fuel leak issue, and will be ordering the replacement kit as well, still can't believe it's $100... Hoping to still make streetcar takeover, but it will be tight as money is limited, and I need to do new hard line for brakes and replace windshield($200ish) and wiper motor($25), and still have enough for gas and gate fees. So it isn't looking to good. After street car takeover it will undergo some changes as the turbo is a godspeed and I don't trust it, and I'll be changing over to e85/flexfuel along with getting dsmlink.

Car looks clean! I've always loved the Galant VR4s. I grew up around a few guys who were into DSMs, maimly 1g talons and eclipses but one guy always had a VR4. I hope to own one of these one day. I'd even settle for a Galant GSX.
Thanks ,but the upper stuff/visible is fairly clean, but the underside has a fair bit of rust, I believe some new replacements rockers are available online, unless they are out of stock and just haven't updated info(very possible)... but hopefully will pick some up during the summer after I get to my 400hp ish goals.

Well battery box is well on it's way to being nhra spec, and not sketchy as hell!! All I need to do is drill a hole for the vent tube to leave the trunk now! Didn't get done what I set out to do, but it's something that has been bothering me as it wasn't bolted down, wasn't soldered or solid connectors and the tape job was awful, along with missing the grommets to seal the box... After I finish venting it, I can do the job I intended which was the rewire for the fuel pump, also hopefully I can get my buddy out here sometime this week to replace the windshield!

Well finally got around to detailing the gvr4, many hours later here is the result!!!(Didn't really do the bumper as I will be either buying a jdm one as they don't need a bumper support or I will be taking it off to put on the missing bumper support....) Took hours to do it as the paint probably hasn't been touched in the past 24 years, had to start with rubbing compound then polishing, then carnauba, but it came out pretty damn nice!! A few scratches are now visible, but at least it shines and looks like new!!

Still working out titling bs, but I believe by next week that'll be finished. Also windshield was ordered a few weeks back so that should be coming in any day now!

Both money pits in one photo haha

Well after nearly 2 months I finally have the title and plates(what a joke...). Also windshield was installed today, although photos are pending removal of set/drying tape. Have driven it a 180mi since getting it plated and had no issues until today, which revealed that the brake lines may be bad, which he told me but I had no weird pedal feel for 600+mi of my driving however today the pedal was soft and went to near the floor even though fluid level is good, so air must have gotten into the system through said leak... hopefully I can take it in for replacement hard line this week as I have no desire to cut and flare on jackstands... In other good news emblems for the rear of the car have been put back on, passenger dog leg is primed, and bumper support is arriving soon so no more zip ties!!

Thread Info