Ryan's (syp) 2014 Chevy SS-V (LSA Build)

Greg@STG

Forum Sponsor
Nov 17, 2015
St Louis, MO
Real Name
Read
Ryan Angellotti's 2014 Chevy SS Build Thread.

Initially all we were planning on doing and thinking it might be fast enough for him was....
-LSA Blower and a 2.55 Pulley
-ID850 Injectors
-Cam
-Kooks Longtubes
-GT500 Heat Exchanger, Bosch Intercooler Pump
-ZL1 Converter
-Tune by Shane Hinds

New cam installed. Retainer plate bolts torqued, checked, marked.
I always do this with pretty much anything that I touch. It leaves zero room for error on my part or forgetting anything. Lets me and the customer sleep easier at night knowing that everything was checked and double checked.
Also marked it the timing dot on the crank gear.
image2_zps1rjolrpy.jpg

All of the new cam parts installed, torqued, marked, etc...Marked timing marks on both gears to ensure alignment.
-ARP Cam Bolts
-3 bolt Cam gear
-LS7 Chain Damper
image3_zpsej6fci0m.jpg

image5_zpsvk92tihw.jpg

Onto replacing the factory single springs with some .660 lift Dual springs, and upgrading the factory rocker arms with a trunion upgrade.

Again, you can see markings on the valve springs after checking each lock to make sure it is fully seated.
A mark on both sides of the trunion to make sure the C Clips are fully seated and locked into the groove.
And a mark on the rocker arms after making two passes, as well as spinning the motor over and checking at different loads/angles.

The new headers installed, Kooks 3" Xpipe, mated up to the factory mufflers.

Onto the blower installation.

Pretty straightforward swap since this motor is physically the same as the LSA setups.
Just a few modifications that needed to be made.
All electrical connections are soldered and heat shrink tubing used. Also loomed afterward to make it look as factory as possible.
NO BUTT CONNECTORS or WIRE NUTS!!!! haha

Next up was the whole heat exchanger/inter cooler pump debacle.
This thing was HUGE.....soooo the front bumper had to go. Weight Reduction???

Had to mock up and make brackets for the heat exchanger(K.I.S.S)
Mount the bosch pump somehwere...
Run, Route, make coolant lines.

And since most people just clamp hoses onto the factory intercooler fittings, and I think that looked like crap, I sourced some 5/8 QD 90* fittings to use on this setup to clean things up a bit.

We werent exactly sure what the SS fuel system was going to support, or how much power we were going to make....so a KB Boost a Pump was installed for the time being
(Later removed)

The final product of all this was 10.9x

https://youtu.be/vvNDiTfowEE - I suck and cant figure out how to embed -____-

...I thought that was his goal, but he wanted to go a bit faster apparently. Next addition was an Alky Control Meth Kit.
Pictured here is the tank mounted in the trunk. Easy access to fill, still allows use of the trunk, and hidden beneath in the spare tire well is the pump, and feed lines.

After the meth was added and retuned. The car picked up 88whp... so back to the track again!
Results were pretty damn impressive, especially for being a 85-90* day.

FINALLY, was finished with the car (or so I thought) so we packed our shit, drove it up to Chicago to hangout for the weekend and drop the car off to Ryan.

Once Ryan got the car back, he immediately took it to the track on his slicks/skinnies setup, and some cooler air and cracked off multiple 10.3 passes at 135+ mph... but after 3 weeks it wasnt fast enough for him, and instead of his original 10 second goal....now he wanted 9's
So after having it back for 3 short weeks, he brought the car back down to me for a few more mods...
-More boost
-A few interior changes
-Cooler IATs.

For boost, we swapped up the pullies and I installed a 9.1 lower, and swapped back to the 2.55 upper (for reliability for blower RPM)

He purchased a ZL1 steering wheel to swap (because some asshole at GM decided the super nice SS interior with suede everywhere else, should have a fake leather/plastic steering wheel)

Also so that he could monitor Intake air temps, and whatever the hell else he wanted, I made a custom gauge pod into his factory pillar, and installed an Aeroforce Scan Gauge.
(Also pictured is the suede ZL1 steering wheel)

As for the cooling mods...
A remote mounted 5.6gal ice/water box was installed with a RULE2000 pump.
The 3/4" hose, feed and return, was routed through the spare tire well (cushioned and sealed from the elements), above the rear cradle/subframe, down along the fuel tank, and forward next to the frame as tucked away as possible.
Trying to keep the lines out of harms way as much as possible, I ran it through the chassis and made sure to cushion around the edges (front and back) so that the hoses dont get rubbed through.
Then ran them up inside of the fender to get around the tire and suspension, where they get covered up by the fender liner.

Pictured from the trunk -> forward

Also, along with the "key on" circuit for the pump, I added in a circuit with power constantly available to a switch in the trunk so that Ryan can run the new pump, and pump ice through the system to cool everything down.

After all this, I got back with Shane for a retune with the new boost (now at 13.2psi) and cooler IAT's for a retune.
Then drove it back up to Ryan so he could make the track one more time before it closed for the season.

I was SUPER happy with this entire build.
10.15 @ 136+ mph....21+ mpg with the cruise set at 75, heated/cooled seats, and music courtesy of Pandora from my phone on the touch screen display.

Thread Info