1g DSM

The car is a 90 DSM(Talon, laser, eclipse). It's my first car, and it's currently in many parts, but it's beginning to take shape. I'll give a basic run down of the build, however I will be keeping the finer details to myself, since it will be used for grudge racing and visit Mexico. The car has a 6bolt 4g63, that will be running a set of kelford cams, along with the obvious supporting mods of springs, retainers, etc. I will be running a Holset turbo, with a bullseye performance hotside. I have finally purchased all items necessary to convert the car into an automatic, but need some products such as a torque converter(bradco) and shifter(b&m). I have the parts for doing the 4 bolt differential swap, but need to swap in my stage 2 driveshaft shop axles before I reinstall the rear diff. As of right now the tuning platform is aem ems v1. I am hoping to run e85, but have concerns regarding the different ethanol contents from different stations. If you have any questions about build specifics I am willing to inform you via pm, but rather not publicly post much more information than what is currently listed.

Attachments

• DSCN3134.JPG
    DSCN3134.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN0551 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0551 - Copy.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 227

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Switching to auto :wtc: Though I understand.

I wouldnt worry TOO much about the e85 mixtures. Just find a few stations you know are legit and fill up there....maybe even keep some in the garage at all times. Test the gas thats in the car the day of tuning and try stay close to that, just for safety sake.

Does the v1 support flex fuel? If so, do that and never worry about ethanol percentage again.

Decide on a tuner yet?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Ive found with E85 its best to stick to one station and keep using that same one. ND has E85 stations all over and they seem to vary quite a bit my car didn't like the E85 a few times I filled up.

As for testing I'd get some of the content test strips that are pretty cheap to get too.

Should be interesting to see this once its done. Its cool to see the 1st gens get some love.

Glad to hear that people appreciate dsm's. I have to say I was a little reluctant until I saw boostin performance run at KOTS. I have been around 70's mopars all my life, and decided that I would rather learn something with my first car, than build a car that I could easily do blindfolded haha [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] One of the goals for my car is to take it to street car takeover in Indianapolis, I know there is enough stations with e85 but without sensors correcting I don't want to have any issues... To answer your question on aem v1, it doesn't support flex fuel sensors. I would have stuck manual but autos are cheap and handle the power(as someone who is working part time for min. wage being cheap, but quality is important). As for tuning I've been leaning towards Boostin Performance, but I am looking into R&D as you suggested to some others. [MENTION=12057]Gamble[/MENTION] while I have seen good results with gsc, I have never seen bad results with the kelfords, also I have seen a few reputable cam comparisons and kelford is always one of the top. For my purposes I feel aem better suits my needs then link, and it costs roughly the same.

Thread Info