Gav's cancelled build...V2.0

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
*****************UPDATE ON PAGE 9******************

As some of you may have read... I really like the 70-73 Camaros. They are a decent buck in "finished" condition...or at least close to it.
The idea of finding a project car was brought up, so the search began.
After seeing a couple "rollers," I found this 1977 Camaro.
The previous owner had owned it since 1987. Due to health concerns, he was no longer able to work on the car. He wanted someone to revive it and enjoy it rather than having it sit in a storage space.

Once I began adding up costs for the 70 RS clone...the budget was going to be WAY over, so before spending a dime, I decided to scrap the idea.
The car sat while I waited for the new title, it was listed on Craigslist. No real interest in the car as it is ( no engine ).

So, I have decided to get it running. It could be more inviting to someone looking for a project car that is at least road worthy.

Enough BS, if you guys have questions, feel free to ask.
The patient:

20150418_123415_zpsbrchwskg.jpg

20150421_181053_zps7xp6hqh5.jpg

20150421_181455_zpse7yknxle.jpg

20150421_181502_zpslya8yncw.jpg

20150611_135838_zpsblfil4dx.jpg

interior will be removed and floor pans welded in. Trunk pan to follow.
The transplant will be a 350/ 4 speed.
parts to be delivered this week.

Pictures to follow.

The plan is to still sell the car...it's ugly and will need the right buyer.
I may just enjoy driving it, so we'll see what happens.

:jg:

progress pics to follow

Last edited:

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
the passenger side fender seems to be the worst individual panel.

The rusty brown / orange primer doesn't help with "curb" appeal.

My father has a 77 rusting away in his garage. Been "Stored" since 1983. The floors are completely trash otherwise it would have probably been roadworthy by now. Rust is a motherfucker on these cars.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
is he the original owner ?

Nope. I believe he is the second owner. Bought in 78 or 79 and the ODO reads 30k (no 6th digit, could be 130k). Plain I6 with a 3 speed. My sister was born in 83 and the car wasn't child friendly and was "Parked" in an old garage where mice and moisture blossomed.

It still has the keystone klassics on it.....

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
motor and trans are taken care of.

the existing exhaust will be decided upon when that time comes...a good cleaning and some rattle can paint will suffice for now.
If not, then i will be on the lookout for a set.

The brakes and suspension will be gone through first, exhaust can be done @ any time.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Right after I bought my GTA in HS my buddy's Dad put his 77 Camaro up for sale and I have kicked myself ever since. Sure they aren't the best looking 2nd gens but they can look pretty good. His has fresh black paint, rally wheels, a 4 speed and a warmed over 350. That car was tits and I think he let it go for like $4500. It was mint since he bought it new and meticulously maintained it. Thanks for reminding me....

Thread Info