Creep Van gets wood

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
So most of you know what I do for work, those of you who don't I'll quickly explain.

I'm an insurance fraud investigator. Basically I spend my day in the back of a mini van, behind curtains, with a video camera.

So generally I sit in a low lawn chair with a tripod like so.
ce23fff6365a39be9a7984d49ce7b641.jpg

There are a few things that annoy me about this setup that I thought I would take care of today.
First issue is the floor is all uneven. Makes it difficult to get a good spot in the chair and setup the tripod.
Second issue is if the subject I'm watching moves around my vehicle from the one window I'm looking out of to other windows I have to completely move my chair and tripod/monopod into position and try to not miss anything all while trying not to rock the van around, because my 240 pounds can sure move a van no problem.
Third issue is I also have some things I keep around in back with me. If I have to jump up front to follow the subject driving away the stuff just slides around in back. I don't really need my laptop flying around with my container of piss.

So my first thought was to put in some type of swivel chair mounted in the middle. Then I can just turn from window to window and it would be so much easier. First thought that came to mind was a fishing chair from a boat. So a quick Amazon search and I found a chair, swivel, and post.
d6285444c57f3b66ecfaf7b69a693958.jpg

Well after looking at the inside of my van for a whole 2 seconds I realized I'm not mounting that post to my floor for many reasons. So I decided to make some type of wood mount. A quick run to the Home Depot and I left with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and two 8' 2"x4"s. Well that sheet of plywood slid in the back of the creep van like it belonged there for good. So when I got home I just trimmed a few inches off of it and left it in the back. Then used one of the 2"x4" to level it up even. That alone solved most of my issues. Now I have a good smooth flat surface I can easily move around on and my tripod/monopod will easily stay level as well. Also the wood was perfect width wise for the rear, but towards the sliding rear doors it left a gap in both sides... Perfect to store stuff so it doesn't slide around while I'm driving.

So now all that is left is to mount my new swivel and post seat. Well the post was just too tall at 11". My head would hit the ceiling, so I figured I'd just make a wood mount out of the 2"x4". While looking around the garage for something for a buddy I ran into my old lighting setup for my salt water tank. This gave me an idea.... The lighting was on a track system so I could just slide it out of the way to work on the tank easily. It was made out of very heavy duty aluminum extrusion from a company my uncle used to own. So I pulled it apart and brought the pieces to the creep van.
ed340d56e74cfcdf84ee35c96354d509.jpg

73282383c949f6c42cc2f44abb43e612.jpg

9a862113586feeea35b1ee62ee083c31.jpg

So did some measuring and grabbed the seat swivel to mount to the rollers. Slid them on the rails and all seemed like it should work.
8936ac7af836aede15049ba6298c8a5a.jpg

I put some 2"x4" under the rails for a little height and mounted everything with screws so I can remove it if needed easily. Then mounted the chair to the swivel and this is how it all turned out.
fc10356072066f71206b89466f9c2623.jpg

And curtains down, everyday mode
a1e755e9078a0b9bbbe082c227595cea.jpg

Next I'll probably carpet it all. I would like to redo the curtains a little. Also I wish I could do more of a divider between the front seats and the rear. The curtain I have works wells but looks shady as fuck lol. If it was an actual divider people might just think I have tools or something back there.

Oh and freecandy.jpeg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
[MENTION=3307]IceCreamAssassin[/MENTION] you need to do an AMA. Post a new thread and start one...

Do the cops hassle you at all ever? - [MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION]

Have you ever had people catch you "watching" them?

And go!

Or just read the bored thread and try to find the answers! It's like a game!

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Yeah I would love some good tinted windows, but not sure how much that would change the quality of my videos. Especially in winter time when I work basically from sunrise to sunset. We have a saying... If we can't see it on video, it never happened.

I could do an AMA thread if you guys want, or just a answer them all here. I'm sure [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] needs thread money.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Yeah I would love some good tinted windows, but not sure how much that would change the quality of my videos. Especially in winter time when I work basically from sunrise to sunset. We have a saying... If we can't see it on video, it never happened.

I could do an AMA thread if you guys want, or just a answer them all here. I'm sure [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] needs thread money.

What about the one-way tint glass? Does that exist? That coupled with it being really dark inside of the van should make for quite clear video, I would think.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Looking good!

[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] wouldn't darker tint make it harder to see out the windows? I know it's easier out, but especially if he's gotta take videos and pictures

Not necessarily. Reflective tint will allow nobody to see in from out (except when dark and you have a bright light source inside.) Think mirror like surface.

Another little trick is IR lights defeat tint completely. A powerful IR light will light up a subject from a distance , through tint, that only the camera can pick up. This would be a solution to the early morning and late night stakeouts with a darker tint.

For the front, i would put legal tint on the front sides and then have a plain windshield sun blocker to cover the windshield in a non obvious manner and hides the curtains a bit.

Thread Info