The VRods replacement - Street Glide

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I've been toying around the idea of trading my 2005 H-D VRod in and stepping up to a Street Glide. A few weeks back my other half and myself were up at Fox River H-D getting a few maintenance items for the VRod. We both got to talking with a salesman. Her on a bike for herself and me a Street Glide they had.
Come the following Monday she purchased a new, to her bike, and I inquired about the Street Glide. I jumped too late and it was sold. I told him to keep me in mind if another great deal comes through.
Fast forward two weeks. I drop my VRod off [MENTION=11738]Sixth Gear Performance[/MENTION] to get my wheels powder coated black. Three days later our salesman shoots me a message just saying you need to come look at this bike. I walk in the next day to look at this very clean 2008 H-D Street Glide. Two hours later I sign papers for it. Prior I had my VRod appraised for trade when the first Street Glide was for sale.
Now two weeks later I finally take delivery. They had to do a new security system on it.
I've put on only, about, 100 miles so far but love it. Fucking shit ass rain weather. What a difference from the VRod to this.
The original owner has a good amount of chrome on it. I will be switching most of it over to black parts, 10-12" Yaffe Bars and nlack true duel exhaust this summer along with new wheels over the winter. Also I'll be doing a 103 kit for it, maybe slightly bigger. I'll decide when that time come this winter as well.
Sorry for the shit photos. I want to get out and take some decent ones soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 195

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Nice looking bike.

What are the differences you noticed between it and the V-Rod? Advantages/disadvantages?

This bike is very effortless to ride. It just seems so stable and planted. One big thing I noticed was this morning still being really chilly when I leave at 6:00am. By the time I got to work on the Vrod, I would be pretty chilled to the bone. With the fairing and most of my body blocked now, I was very warm the whole way. I even pulled off my face mask as I really didn't need it.

lookin good. the rear a spoke wheel as well? wasn't aware that was even an option on the flhx.

Yeah the front and rear both. They look good and I don't hate them. However I want to go with the 19" front wheel and matching rear over the winter.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Do a 21" front. Congrats man, I'm jealous. What kind of bike did your Fiance pick up?

2007 Ninja 250. It's a fun bike to ride. I tool around on it here and there.
And Frank, you work at a body shop right? I have a small blemish(1"x1.5") on the right bag on the back of it. I'd like that fixed.
Hit me up on FB messenger when you get some time about it. Should be a in and out fix.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
[MENTION=6298]Jeffs FRC[/MENTION]

I love them man. So comfortable. It was a bit getting use to them since they are so much wider than stock. I've put on a few thousand miles this season. I had to adjust my clutch cable once since it all worked in finally. I need to redo my brake cable. We didn't run it into the fairing. Brain fart I think.
The wiring, now that we know what we are doing, shouldn't be horrible at this point. It took us about 12hr total to get it all start to finish. Now I bet 6hr.
Honestly I wouldn't get any less than 12" bars though. 10" ones are going to be to small and you will 100% have to get bar mount mirrors. I even had to with the 12s.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 100

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Thanks for the info Marco! I really like the way the 10" sit in relation to the fairing though, and it has to be a big improvement over stock bars. If I order these up I'm gonna have to have you over for some drinks and food to give me some pointers on the wiring...lol

The 10" bars will be a huge improvement over your stock bars. I was really set on the 10s but had a buddy over at Barnyard Baggers talk me into getting at least 12s. Honestly on my next bike I may even go with 14s. That will not be for some years.
You feel a lot more stable with the wider bars. These also don't have such a turn in towards you so you sit a lot more upright. Easier on your back.
I had a good friend do most of the work. He's dam good at his craft and I don't have stead hands. I did a bunch of other stuff myself but the wiring he did and anything I didn't understand at the time. As long as you can solder you should be good. Also disassemble the wire plugs and put them all back together. We took photos so we knew what color wire went where.
If you don't mind spending the extra coin, you can get them pre-wired. I will do this next time also. It's one wire from the controls to the plug, so not extended wires soldered together. Also they are already run through the bars for you. Basically a plug and play. It's a few hundred extra. It will save you hours of work though.
I think next summer I'm going to talk to a local builder about doing this for me. Redo all the wiring so it's just longer wires run though instead of the extended ones I have now. Not that I have anything wrong with mine now. It's more of a thing I'd like done for me.
I'm always down to help out though.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
The 10" bars will be a huge improvement over your stock bars. I was really set on the 10s but had a buddy over at Barnyard Baggers talk me into getting at least 12s. Honestly on my next bike I may even go with 14s. That will not be for some years.
You feel a lot more stable with the wider bars. These also don't have such a turn in towards you so you sit a lot more upright. Easier on your back.
I had a good friend do most of the work. He's dam good at his craft and I don't have stead hands. I did a bunch of other stuff myself but the wiring he did and anything I didn't understand at the time. As long as you can solder you should be good. Also disassemble the wire plugs and put them all back together. We took photos so we knew what color wire went where.
If you don't mind spending the extra coin, you can get them pre-wired. I will do this next time also. It's one wire from the controls to the plug, so not extended wires soldered together. Also they are already run through the bars for you. Basically a plug and play. It's a few hundred extra. It will save you hours of work though.
I think next summer I'm going to talk to a local builder about doing this for me. Redo all the wiring so it's just longer wires run though instead of the extended ones I have now. Not that I have anything wrong with mine now. It's more of a thing I'd like done for me.
I'm always down to help out though.
Thanks for the tips Marco! Do you remember which wiring extension kit you used for the bars? I've got the bars and extended clutch cable saved, just need to figure out which wiring kit to go with. So many damn options...

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Thanks for the tips Marco! Do you remember which wiring extension kit you used for the bars? I've got the bars and extended clutch cable saved, just need to figure out which wiring kit to go with. So many damn options...

I went and did the kit through Revzilla. It was a full kit. All you needed to do was use the supplied material, some time to solder and a steady hand.

Thread Info