...a new vehicle...totally not "me"...

shaveradam

www.finishingtouchdetail. com
Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
So sick of the 3800 BS (shitty engine, trans, suspension, power steering, wheel bearings and brakes etc.). I will be changing jobs and the commute is getting longer, I wanted something better on fuel but still fun to drive.

Just randomly browsing eBay, I came across this. If you told me a year ago I would ever own one of these, I would have laughed. After driving it, I would have to say its more fun than the monte carlo, as powerful with whats currently done and have been averaging 30MPG for the last few days.

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0 Turbo

Got it for a good price, had 18,xxx when purchased and now has 19xxx from getting it home. The car is literally spotless. He corrected all of the rock chips and any imperfections, wet sanded those areas, applied new clear coat and sanded / buffed the whole car. The paint is SO smooth and is what I would be able to do with a long correction process. The engine compartment is also spotless, interior is spotless, its like a brand new car.

Also, the previous owner included literally EVERY part that I would need to put back completely stock. The factory rims, tires, exhaust, intake, suspension, emblems / turbo logo, listing and all receipts / documentation from EVERY modification and all service records.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Here is the description from the listing describing all of the modifications (Suspension, tune, intake and exhaust etc):

This unbelievably clean Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo is loaded with lots of neat features and every available option, including the hard to find heated leather seats, Sport Suspension, 19 inch wheels (currently uninstalled), Self-leveling Bi Xenon HID headlamps with integrated LED Daytime running lights and the incredible sounding 400 watt Fender Premium Audio system with subwoofer. In addition to this it has the large panoramic sunroof (with remote side windows and sunroof open/close feature), a navigation system, SiriusXM satellite radio, MDI with iPod cable, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity and remote keyless access with push button start. The front washer nozzles are heated, the side mirrors with integrated turn signals are heatable, and the fog lamps double as cornering lamps. There is a High-line trip computer, adjustable ambient lighting, and of course, air conditioning and cruise control. Your hands and feet communicate with the car through a leather wrapped multifunction tilt and telescoping steering wheel, a full complement of the “proper number” of sport alloy pedals (3), a generous dead pedal, and a leather wrapped shift knob (6 speed manual transmission).
If all of the above is not enough to grab your interest, then consider the fact that I have customized this car with multiple top shelf upgrades that have made it a serious performance oriented driver’s car while maintaining its original docile streetability. It is NOT your ordinary Volkswagen Doodle Bug despite what the license plate reads!
This is what I’ve done to this Beetle since buying it in December, 2014:
Full bumper to bumper meticulous detail including proper touch up of multiple small stone chips (prep, base coat, clear coat, wet sanding & polish). The exterior now has multiple coats of Zaino Z5.
LED interior lighting kit
Wheelskins Europerf leather steering wheel cover looks and feels great and provides for the right amount of wheel girth for a performance car.
Rear hatchback seal enhancement to stop the hatch rattle that apparently comes standard with these cars.
APR Carbon fiber Carbonio intake and Stage 1 ECU upgrade with stock, 91, 93, and 100 octane tunes, left foot braking and anti-theft options. The combination of the upgrade with the intake system dramatically changes the performance and acceleration of the car. The 93 octane tune and intake increases crank horsepower from 200 to 269 and torque from 207 lb-ft to 295 lb-ft (per APR dyno runs). Impressive!
Steve Petty Motorsports Stainless 3 inch Cat Back exhaust system is the highest of quality with a deep rich yet quiet exhaust note. The exhaust should push HP and torque even higher than the above numbers, but this car has not been run on a dyno. Even more power could be had with the installation of a down pipe and a stage II tune if that appeals to you, however, for me I truly haven’t needed any more power than this car has currently.
Volkswagen Racing (VWR) Streetsport Plus Adjustable Monotube Coilovers with progressive rate springs (optional linear rate springs and camber adjustment plates are available from VWR) provide OEM ride quality until cornering hard with spirited street or track driving. The ride height is simple to adjust and can be done without removing the wheels. The dampers are very easily adjusted with 12 settings in front and in the rear to dial the ride in to your liking on both road and track.
Adjustable end links for the front coil over kit are included with the car but not installed.
A set of Stop Tech slotted front rotors and Hawk HP plus pads with only 1 track day of use are included with the car as well as a brand new set of front Carbotech XP8 pads for track use. The OEM rotors and pads are currently installed for street use.
New 18 inch X 8.5 inch Enkei Tuning Raijin wheels in a beautiful hyper silver finish are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18s. This wheel and tire combo not only looks nice, it dramatically improves the performance of the car in all parameters. This combination decreases the unsprung weight by an incredible 9 lbs. at each corner of the car vs the OEM 19 inch setup.
I am the second owner of this beauty and have been in contact with the original owner who is a gentleman (not unlike myself) that is extremely particular with his cars. I got the full history on the Beetle and I’ll gladly pass it on to the next owner. In summary, it has always been garage kept, has never had any issues, never been smoked in, never had any paint or body work, and has been very well maintained. While the car was for sale at Jim Ellis, the clutch assembly was replaced with a newly redesigned throw out bearing because of a problem common to the Beetle turbo in this model year. Since that time, I’ve put over 4 thousand miles on the car including 3 hours of track time with absolutely no issues from the clutch or drivetrain.
As an automotive enthusiast, I research, buy, and sell sporty cars often. I’m a perfectionist with a serious hobby of meticulous detailing, and I always spend countless hours on every car I own, making them cleaner than most of the new cars you will find in showrooms. If they have any issues they are addressed promptly. I would actually love to keep this car, but I have one too many as it is, and need to sell one. In all honesty, I’ll be happy keeping either this car, or my 2013 Focus ST, but one of them has to go.
The original MSRP of this car was $30,035 and I’m including a copy of the window sticker, all of the original parts including the OEM exhaust system, springs, struts, and shocks, 19” Tornado wheels with Continental ContiProContact all-season tires with 9/32” tread remaining. These wheels are in high demand on forums and should sell (with tires) for around $1000 if one should choose to do so. Also included will be service records, receipts, Certified Pre-Owned documents, VW owner’s manual, APR EMCS owner’s manual, and more! I have the title in hand for an easy transaction.
Certified Pre-Owned status stays with the vehicle and therefore it comes with an extended bumper to bumper warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance until 10/29/2017 or 60k miles.

What do you guys think? I know its totally not the uber expensive normal every day TCG vehicle but I'm genuinly happy with it and got it for a great price.

It's been to the track too. The previous owner took it to Barber and raced...

$_57.JPG

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
The redesign on the 12+ Beetles look far less "cute". Yours is done up very well, and would shock many people with how quick it is. Basically, it's a GTI without the hatch and without the expense of a GTI.

My wife has a 14 Beetle convertible 1.8t, and it's been a great vehicle. No complaints other than the windows sometimes freezing shut in the winter.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Sold ours a few months ago.

The longer we owned it the less we liked it. Windows freezing and vw's inability to fix the fold down seats were our largest specific problems. Had too much plastic rattle and creaks for how few miles and how old it was.

Hopefully you feel the opposite.

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
That is definitely a surprise ... but wow! While not exactly my cup of tea, I definitely like this version better than the previous generation ... by a lot. & that color ... sweet! Congrats!

Cort :) OLD CARS, STRONG HEARTS | memories, even if the whole world has forgotten
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Uh, what model is it?" __ Johnny Cash __ 'One Piece At A Time'

shaveradam

www.finishingtouchdetail. com
Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
meh, not bad for a beetle, how many HP's with the upgrades?

Congrats

The dyno run he had done said 270HP with what was done but that was pre-exhaust install so it is probably 280? 285? If I throw a downpipe, turbo pipes and a stage 2 tune it should be in excess of 315HP? Not bad for a 4 cylinder I guess :)

Last edited:

Thread Info