Big Wheel Bagger build

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I am soon going to a big wheel setup on my Road Glide and figured I’d start a thread on it. As of now the bike is pretty much stock with the exception of the headlights, speakers, and exhaust. The bike is great but I’m getting bored with it so decided to do a big wheel on it with stretched bags, new fenders, plasma lights for the rear, new side covers, a single rotor up front, chromed forks, a much better stereo, painted inner fairing, and possibly a stretched gas tank, air-ride suspension with compressor for the front and rear, and chin spoiler. Lots of money but I’m going to do it eventually so why not live the American dream and do it all at once.

I purchased a chopped Tour Pak that I’m having painted to match the bike that I’m debating on leaving on all the time. I have to see how it looks once the bike is done and then I’ll decide. It isn’t the razor Tour Pak that is super thin, and isn’t as big as the grandpa Tour Pak found on Ultras.

The right way of doing a 26” front rim is to cut and rake the frame of the bike. They sell bolt on kits but after research them I decided against it. I’m having DD Customs out of Lake Villa do most of the work. Dave won a bunch of awards at various shows, is local to me, and is attention to detail is amazing.

Here are some pictures of the bike as it sits now.

Attachments

• road glide.jpg
    road glide.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 293
  • road glide 2.jpg
    road glide 2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 261
  • road glide 3.jpg
    road glide 3.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 227
  • road glide 4.jpg
    road glide 4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 224

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I'm still unsure about which rim I want to go with. Here are the three I narrowed it down to.

The blue bike is a 23" inch wheel and the other two are both 26 inch. What is everyone's thoughts on these choices?

Attachments

• Jerrys-Glide-01-935x465.jpg
    Jerrys-Glide-01-935x465.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 228
  • marqs-2013-glide-01-935x465.jpg
    marqs-2013-glide-01-935x465.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 228
  • road glide titan wheel.jpg
    road glide titan wheel.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 238

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I only chatting with one other builder who is local about what I want. They mainly focus on engine work but do some of the big wheel baggers. I knew of Dave for years and chatted with him last fall about doing some extended bags and a 21" wheel. Obviously that morphed into what it is now. I'm spending a ton of money on this but can't wait to see the finished product. I was going to buy a side by side and squashed those plans to free up money for the build. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to finalize my plans and then to drop the bike off soon after.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
:fy: 124 customs in Rockford does a LOT of these cut and rakes if you need someone with more experience.

im gettin ready to order a 21 and all neccesary parts myself. i thought about going big but i ride too many miles for a big wheel. im not riding to sturgis on a 23 or 26 and worrying about that shit. shit is soooo expensive to do right.

oh, and the rim on the blue one ftw.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I originally wanted a 21" and thought a 26" was too big. That changed and then I wanted a 23" for a while until finally seeing one in person side by side with a 26". I have a few friends with 26" wheels and they say their fine for longer rides. I hope they're right because I'm doing a VA, NC, SC, GA, TN ride in June. My biggest fear is getting a tire if I have a blow out. Worst case I'll have the tire over-nighted to wherever I am.

I think Dave is fully capable of doing my build. He won a ton of awards and World of Wheels in Chicago and the Donnie Smith show in MN this past weekend. I know there are a lot of reputible builders in the area but the fact that he is close, the quality of his builds are great, and his attention to detail has me comfortable enough not to look anywhere else.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I finalized my build yesterday with the exception of doing the Legend air ride suspension. I'm doing stretched and extended bags and an extended rear fender which changed the price some. I'm keeping my 2 into 1 exhaust and doing an extension on it which will be cool since most people have no tails or duals showing. Parts on order so now I wait.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Imo these big wheel conversions look ridiculous. 21" is perfect and some 23's look ok, but a 26"...seriously?

I honestly thought the same thing until seeing the different sizes in person. I was set on a 21", then a 23", then a 26", back to a 23" and back to a 26" LOL. I get that some people aren't into them but when they're done right they do look pretty cool.

Thread Info