CVPIs 2003 Ford Crown Vic built 4.6 SOHC

CVPI

Jul 10, 2008
It all started at 170k buying this car off of a old Crownvic.net member in WI. Car had a tune and some mild mods (Cam (hitech stage 2), intake (MAF and Box), built trans, high stall, 3.55 with tweeked OE cobra tracloc, 200amp alt, big 3 wiring, Granatelli COPs, MMX Driveshaft, Rear Tailshaft Lube Mod, Akebono street performance friction, superduty trans cooler, rear custom boxed control arms, addco rear and front bar, high volume oil pump, rear head cooling mod)

Eventually, the car had a little booboo and ejected a plug out of cylinder 3. I blame bosch spark plugs.

This

Meant having to do this

And than shortly after, doing this

And after that, This

Ill post more when I have some time tonight. Now its got a nice built motor in there, time to go quicker. Its a old boat, but its fun.

I REALLY love this car for some dumb reason after 220k I have put on it of HARD miles, not including the 170k of the previous owner.

I had a crown vic before this i truly loved and it got wiped out by some little prick, but honestly this car is the car that has truly turned me into a car guy, had it not been for this car I WOULD NOT be an ASE Master Tech right now. After all the frustrations and joys with this car, it has made me a true thoroughbred car guy.

CVPI

Jul 10, 2008
Sweet! Looks good. How built is it?

Manley Rods, Diamond Pistions, Cobra Crank. Motor is meh. Im not happy with it. Its bulletproof, but meh. I need something more.... Forced Inductionish. Im looking at doing a 5.4 with a single turbo or going the eaton route. I still want to stay single cam.

Again, this is my toy i WILL daily and rack a ton of miles on. Its not a marauder that will be well kept or a car that deserves to be garage kept. Im going to beat the piss out of it and drive the damn thing.

CVPI

Jul 10, 2008
Because it seems like the 2 valve powerband is more appropriate for this car, nor do i feel like dropping 4v heads back on it. I refuse to go the ls route as I want to keep factory engine management (emissions) and it is not a race car, its a fun beat the crap out of dailydriverbeater.

I dont expect to be running 10s in this car, id settle for 13s or high 12s at this point, and its going to take alot to get this pig to that point, oinking its fat ass hauling my fat ass down the track, but it will be done.

CVPI

Jul 10, 2008
You named my biggest regret with this setup. I really hate this motor.

This motor has over 200k miles on it, built or not thats alot of miles. Most of the miles were consumed driving between here, PA, and North Carolina 500 and 700 miles at a crack. The motor still is within 1% compression across the board and the exact same psi as when it left the machine shop when i tested it.

I keep looking at some salvage 5.0 trucks and 3.5 ecoboost trucks on copart and iaa and the temptation to attempt a fuckingcrazy swap is there, but i have no experience on the engine management side of shit like that and my garage door already has enough marks from thrown tools because all my friends buy german vehicles. As tempting as a twin turbo v6 swap sounds, I genuinely think if im going dual cam im leaving the 4.6 in the shitter and going the 5.0 route. The 4.6 is a great motor, but it has been outdated for years.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Fuck go check out theturboforums. There are some nasty 2Vs on there. Although having 4V heads are nice it's not 100% required. As you said you're not looking for 4 digit HP.

If more tq is required drop your slugs and rods into a Triton block with a factory forged crank and get some intake spacers. I've read this is worth about 30rwhp and 70rwtq with FMS shorties and a tune on a dual exhaust car with a stock 5.4L.

EMS on the other hand, that could be a headache. Not 100% sure. Since you have a good running vehicle I'd advise just tweaking around on it a bit to get a feel for how it works, what it does and what you need to alter to get results you want.

There's easily enough bottom end there to make a shitton more power than you are. Most people with boost run into the problem of holding stuff together, not making power. Even if you size the turbo like a cam (CONSERVATIVE) you could make some nasty power.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
2v powerband? You mean no torque and if it has an adder you won't make any power until upper RPM's in a heavy street car? That doesn't sound like a good combo.

I do give you props for wanting to do it though. Good luck. I would rather lay on my back and pee in my mouth than try to make power with a 2V.

2v's make more torque than horsepower.

That said, you have to build them up pretty good to make power. You have to be devoted to stick with a 2v.

Thread Info