1989 Mustang Build

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
I have always wanted to do a build thread for my mustang but have been so damn lazy, got a little extra time now so ill start one.

I am building this car for x275/ultra street/8.5" tire racing.

Originally I was going to 25.5 my 67 nova wagon but decided that for the same money I could buy a car that was almost done and one that will be faster in the long run.( Although not as cool)

So I came across this mustang last year. Its a 1989 Mustang Gt that is Lamborgini Orange. The paint is super nice and the engine bay is also painted. It had Aerospace brakes and all the suspension goodies. Also had Bogarts and Brand new mickey thompsons. It already had most of the cage done.

I took a major risk because I had no idea if the cage was going to work or if it was chromoly. Most of the cage was super nice and tig welded but it looked like a blind guy added on the funny car cage portion(the part the goes around your head). Also Half the floor was also cut out which is also the reason the car did not come with a certification.

With the cage and floor not being finished it allowed me to get the car at a very good price. So I got it back to my shop and called over an NHRA tech to make sure I had a chromoly cage in this car and luckily it did!

You can see some of the shit welds this car had^^^

So that brings me to sorta where I am now. Since there were some very bad parts of the cage we decided to redo the funny car cage, door X's, Kidney bar, and roof bar.

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
So after the decision was made to redo some of the cage I got it to my friends chassis shop so he could supervise me since I have never done any of this cage work before.

Up on jack stands getting ready to start

Cut out the crappy sheet metal in the back but a good picture of the back of the cage.

After cutting and grinding out drivers side door bar.

The Main Funny Car bar in

Cut motor mounts of K-member to get ready for Mid Plate and Motor Plate

Skinny Kid Mid Plate offset for chevy motor and trans

Top Bars of the funny car cage going in

Another Angle

Helmet bar and lower bar going in

Another angle

Most of the bars done

Kidney bar and Door X almost done

Decided too cut the passenger side out too, this is going back together

Custom 2500HP Procharger intercooler with Ice tank built around it

SIDE NOTE..... Pick this bad boy up to putt around the neighborhood and the track.

Terminator-Fux

Two Dollars... Plus Tip
Dec 27, 2009
1157.gif

Weekend update

Got some more parts in this week and got more work done this week.

Got the seat mounting done.

Found a electric water pump on one of the facebook groups.

Picked up the first set of Version 2 On3 Performance turbo headers. They are SUPER thick which is what I wanted.

Then I took all the valvetrain off my heads. (which is for sale now) Getting it all ready for a solid roller setup. The cam I am getting made is from Bullet racing cams and should be in the range of .750" lift 260 Duration at.050"

Thread Info