Turning my tdi into a "GLD" jetta, mild exterior mods.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Figured I'd make a new thread with my plans, other thread is from when I bought it.
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-rides/135430-new-daily-v-pimpzeeauto.html

2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/premium, tempest blue exterior with a black/tan combo interior.

I've been a huge fan of how the GLI looks, but the performance is kinda meh and the gas mileage obviously sucks compared to the tdi. The teasing of a GTD golf, GTI + diesel model is drooling to me, but nothing confirmed. Why not make my current car that I like so much into something that to me is the best of both worlds with that is available on the market? This car is literally my office, so making a few changes is worth it to me!

Within the last month I have debadged the car in the rear and got 35% non-metallic tint all around done. Makes the car looking so much better.

Ordered-
Full set of better HID quality DRLS, tails etc, much more crisp white color. Keeping headlights stock for now, Xenons are $$$$$$$$

GLI upper grill, but taking the actual GLI emblem out, doin it for DAT HONEYCOMB
179507_x800.jpg

180356_x800.jpg

GLI side skirt moldings
GLi_Side_Skirts_Mk6-2.jpg

Going to black the VW badges front and rear.
Adding a small factory lip spoiler on the trunk.

Not sure on doing exhaust tips however...
234997_x800.jpg

I am going to do a drop and rims, but will probably wait until spring now, but that is a crucial piece to the look of the car

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I like the direction yours is going! I thought about tips for the exhaust, but I think I'm just going to use some matte black high temp/BBQ grill paint on them. I'm torn with lowering mine, though. It looks sooo good, but just springs will wear out the struts more quickly than I like. And I'm not willing to spend quality coil-over money. Looking forward to seeing yours lowered and making me jealous!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I like the direction yours is going! I thought about tips for the exhaust, but I think I'm just going to use some matte black high temp/BBQ grill paint on them. I'm torn with lowering mine, though. It looks sooo good, but just springs will wear out the struts more quickly than I like. And I'm not willing to spend quality coil-over money. Looking forward to seeing yours lowered and making me jealous!

I decided to not go with the tips just yet, I saw one with the factory install optional chrome tips and went ehhhhhhh not sure. I went with the H&R sports which from what I've researched are the easiest on the stock struts and lots of people report no issues after 20-30k or more. I'm a little bummed that I can use the DG or VWR springs that people seem to rave about, as I can't use anything other than specific to the non-independent rear susp that the 13 and earlier TDIs have, just a rear beam :(

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I don't want to see your car on the H&R springs, only because it's gonna make me want to drop mine. LOL Who is doing the install and how much? I'd be tempted to just do it on my own, but if it's cheap enough... Hmmm...

I ended up ordering some stainless exhaust tips in black. For <$25, I'll see how they fit and look. They also have them in chrome and titanium blue fade. Link: Car exhaust muffler Pipes tip 2 pcs for Volkswagen VW Polo Tiguan Bora Jetta MK6 Scirocco Passat CC Golf 6 Variant Golf 7 Lavida-in Stickers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I also ordered up some LED DRL's for the blank foglight section, as the car needs something there... I'll update my own thread when I get those on, too. Link: free shipping, for 2012 Volkswagen VW Jetta Sagitar LED DRL Daytime Running Light with projector lens, without fog lamp hole-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I did hit 42 mpg on two highway only trips over the last two weeks, so quite happy with my 1.8TSI so far. Still 10 mpg less than the TDI in the same scenario, but a good compromise between the GLI and the TDI in my opinion in terms of performance and economy.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Got back just before the sun went down. Could not be happier with how the car sits and the look. Can't wait to add a few other cosmetic touches. Springs still have to settle a bit, though in the pic I still had 100-150lbs in the trunk and back seat of the oem wheel/tires/springs. Wheels sit practically flush and have a little concave action going on which is exactly what I wanted.

Will have to get a nice photoshoot with it all cleaned up and a few other VWs together!

Wheels are Alzor 628 18x8 et 45 with 225/40/18s
Springs are H&R Sport springs with ~1.4" drop

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 102

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I don't want to see your car on the H&R springs, only because it's gonna make me want to drop mine. LOL Who is doing the install and how much? I'd be tempted to just do it on my own, but if it's cheap enough... Hmmm...

I ended up ordering some stainless exhaust tips in black. For <$25, I'll see how they fit and look. They also have them in chrome and titanium blue fade. Link: Car exhaust muffler Pipes tip 2 pcs for Volkswagen VW Polo Tiguan Bora Jetta MK6 Scirocco Passat CC Golf 6 Variant Golf 7 Lavida-in Stickers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I also ordered up some LED DRL's for the blank foglight section, as the car needs something there... I'll update my own thread when I get those on, too. Link: free shipping, for 2012 Volkswagen VW Jetta Sagitar LED DRL Daytime Running Light with projector lens, without fog lamp hole-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I did hit 42 mpg on two highway only trips over the last two weeks, so quite happy with my 1.8TSI so far. Still 10 mpg less than the TDI in the same scenario, but a good compromise between the GLI and the TDI in my opinion in terms of performance and economy.

Sorry I have to post pics!

Gimme dose black tips

Don't get me wrong I'd love the new 1.8T with a tune in the 14+s... almost the same mileage with much more fun in terms of power!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Rims arent my thing but that drop is perfect.

I echo these sentiments.

I hear ya, I wanted something a bit different, and would have been perfectly happy going with something like [MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] went with. I made a thread awhile ago and I was surprised to hear some of the comments about a few rims looking like mustang rims so those were out too lol

My other choice was the "peeler" s4/5 rims, but the wife said they looked like a starfish :rofl:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
That's about perfect for a drop. I'm now hating my fender gap more and more. Those Alzors look great, and you can't beat the price.

I work at 59 and 88, so not far from you. Who did the install on the springs and how much, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm waiting for it to settle just a bit more, but the ride is amazing given dropping almost 1.5". Taking it on the highway today and maybe a few turns yay

PM'd you

Thread Info