My VR-4 Build Diary and life story..

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
My obsession with these cars started way back when I was in grade school. I don’t remember exactly when I saw the first one, but it was the wide stance of these cars made me fall in love with them…especially the rear end.

The 3000GT VR-4 was the car of my dreams. I didn’t want anything else. Back in high school, I used to drive by all the Mitsu dealers around my town to check out the VR-4’s in the showrooms and parking lots…it was a hobby of mine. Anytime I was doing anything, if I laid eyes on a VR-4 parked anywhere I would immediately tell whoever was driving to stop and turn back around and take me to the car..lol

I used go to the libraries and read through the old publications of Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motortrend, Turbo, etc…every article that was published about these cars, I read over and over again. It was always disappointing to me that the VR-4 rarely placed 1st, but it didn’t diminish the love that I had for the car.

The first chance to drive a VR-4 came in my junior year of high school. I had saved up about 9k and found a red 93 VR-4 for sale not too far from where I lived. I took my mom with me and actually test drove the car! Looking back, I don’t know how the owner of that car let me (a high school kid) test drive his VR-4…The car was perfect, I was ready to give him my wad of cash, but for one reason or another, I didn’t get the car. I’m glad I didn’t, otherwise I would’ve been broke for the rest of my life…

My love and obsession with these cars only grew over time. I promised myself that I would probably never own one only because I liked the car too much it would make me broke and make me make stupid decisions. The closest I ever got to these cars was going to a few NG’s and making a video of one.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/3000gtstealth-2006-national-gathering-st-joseph_54395.htm

Fast forward a few years. 2010, I’ve graduated from college, got my degree, Ive been blessed to own and manage run my own repair shop (with my brothers) for about two years now…and thank God things are going pretty well. I’ve got a crotch rocket, a turbo miata and a camry as a daily driver. I’ve been lurking and posting on 3si since 2001…every so often just checking the classifieds, my curiosity getting the most of me.

So one day browsing the classifieds I find a Sorrento Red 95 VR-4 for sale. Mostly stock, sunroof (It was a must for me!! If I was ever going to own one…) and owned by an older gentleman. Relatively low miles and it was fairly priced too….so I told a few friends just for kicks and made nothing of it.

100_1013.jpg

Well the car remained in the classifieds for some time….and each day as it sat, I somehow convinced myself that it wasn’t too expensive and I could just buy it and keep it relatively stock and just enjoy it for what it was. So I called the owner of the car just to get a few details and just ask a few questions….and before I knew it, the 95 VR-4 which called Texas home was coming to Chicago!

Now this is where the fun starts. So the day comes, August 25th, 2010 my VR-4 officially arrives at a trucking port/hub in Illinois, about 30 miles away from my house. It was gonna take the shipping company an additional two days to bring the car from the port to my garage. I couldn’t wait…I called headquarters and told them I was coming to get MY own VR-4(I still couldn’t believe it..!)

So I arrive, show ID, pay them off and grab the keys to my VR-4...and I’m off!! The drive back to the shop was amazing, it was a nice day, sunny and I had the sunroof open and I was just cruising in my very own VR-4! It was unreal, I actually now owned the car of my dreams, the keys that I had in my hands were for my own VR-4…I still couldn’t believe it…!!!

5-1.jpg

So I arrive at the shop, all my friends are there waiting to congratulate me, I pull into the shop, with a huge grin on my face unable to control myself. I let the car cool down and shut her off and pop the hood to show everyone my new pride and joy…everyone was happy for me…

Now its time for test drives, I gotta show them what 320hp Twin Turbo’s are all about…So I start the car and hear an awful sound, sounded like lifter tick but louder. In the back of my head I was like no way, it can’t be a spun bearing. No way. So I rev the car and it got louder (the knock). Was this for real? Its gotta be the lifters. I recheck the oil level, (I checked it before I left the shipping facility) and oil level is fine…I didn’t want to believe it, but this was the reality. My VR-4 had spun a bearing. I drove it 38.6 miles exactly now my car sat with a spun bearing. The car of my dreams had a spun bearing. This was unreal. I knew it was a problem with these cars but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I was going to be a part of the Spun Bearing Club…well now it was reality and this was it.

And so, that was the beginning of my project…:ugh:

I’ve owned a few DSM’s…great cars…had a lot of fun with them. Ive also owned two miata’s also very nice and fun little cars…Ive had my fair share of projects so this wasn’t anything new to me, the only difference was this time I didn’t have a choice..:fu:

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
First day in Chicago...

The texas heat really took a toll on the clearcoat and paintjob..

It came with 13T's..which are a helluva lot better than the piss poor 9b's that these cars come with...at this point in time the car still had all the emissions crap in the bay etc...

Interior is 9/10...Active Aero works and so does the ECS..

A few hours later with a couple of buddies and this was the end result..

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
IMAG0279.jpg

Neatly organized with the POS intercoolers and oil cooler...:D
IMAG0308.jpg

And so she sat...heartless...she broke my heart too...

So while the motor was out, I knew that I was evenutally going to paint her black...so what better time than now to gut the engine bay of all the useless crap and paint it black at the same time...
IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

The magic stuff...
IMAG0289.jpg

After a bit of elbow grease and some cussing...I also took this time to dump cruise, emissions and ABS..
IMAG0290.jpg

Took off the bumper, Front plastic shrouding, etc..to sand and prep for paint..
IMAG0306.jpg

Prepping for paint..first time doing this..I had help from a few friends..
IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

Let the painting begin!:cool:
IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

The end result...
IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
lol..

Anyways...after the bay was painted the car sat like this for another 8ish months...waiting for parts to come...
IMAG0442.jpg

So at this point, I didn't have any intentions of building the motor with forged parts...but what good are friends if they let you drive stock, right? :D So with very little convincing, my buddies swayed me to get a forged internals..I had originally planned to rock the 13T's..which had made upto 450awhp on other 3/s cars and just run stock internals...but plans quickly changed. I went from wanting 400ish whp to now wanting 500+..so I ordered wiseco pistons/spool rods and had my turbos machined to 19T's...

After months..(felt like years) of waiting my shortblock was back....60 wisecos, spool rods, linebored block and bob weighted internals...aka fully balanced
2011-04-08003845.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I threw some high temp paint on it...

Also during this duration, I 'stumbled' upon some ported heads...;) I still kept the stock cams at this time though...
PortedIntakePorts.jpg

Knife edged intake runners...
PortedIntakePort.jpg

Also picked up some SS exhaust studs because we all know what a PITA those can be when they break...
4-2.jpg

Painting the heads...

My brother spraying...

Primered...and waiting to dry...NO we didn't paint the part where the cam journals oil would reside...LOL

In the meantime...shorty was getting accessorized...

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Now it was time to mate the block and heads...its weird but for these cars people have had better luck using stock head bolts instead of ARP studs...so on they went with new OEM headbolts...However I utilized ARP hardware for the girdle and rod bolts...

Now I was getting excited...starting to look like a motor again! :D

Turbos came back from MTC..freshly converted to 19T compressor wheels...

Being a DSM'er at heart...I tried to maximize my setup...so out came the carbide bit and I began porting whatever I could...TD04's SUCK!! I ended up porting the hotsides, gasket matching the manifolds and porting the outlets of the manifolds as well...

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Another issue with higher powered VR4's is that they tend to grenade the 6 speed bellhousings...so a brace was ordered and welded to not cause any catastrophic failures with high torque output...
IMAG0401.jpg

Welded in place...
IMAG0404.jpg

Painted my transmission and also got my hands on a JDM gear...its a shorter final drive which would make the car a bit more peppy...After driving a lot of different varietes of cars, the 3000GT was quite bland from the factory and very numb. I wanted to make it a bit more of a purist car...if thats possible..LOL so I also got a Fidanza flywheel...My ultimate weight goal with my car is to have it at 34XXlbs while retaining PS/AC and being a full street car on street tires...I wanted to make my car how Mitsu should've made it from the factory...without all the B.S....I also dumped the AWS gimmick...

Also filled the stock motormounts with 3M windoweld...didn't like the harshness of the aftermarket solid motor mounts...
1-2.jpg

After a LOT of hard work...Thats me in the picture...I had good reason to be smiling :D
13.jpg

So after 9 long months of waiting and wrenching, she fired up and pulled out of the garage on her own!

And that was the BEGINNING of my adventures with my VR-4...:p

Thanks for reading fellas...I'll update again soon!!

Nomie

EDIT: I'll have to fix the video link to STREETFIRE...I'm not on my home network and can't access the site...

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
heh...Thanks for all the interest and replies guys...this place is super active...its great!:bigthumb:

OK this build rocks. Keep it coming. What's a 19T compared to say a 16G?

Its funny, I had a 16g lying around at the shop during the build and snapped a picture comparing the 2...evoIII 16g is on the left...The compressor wheels are about the same in size, however the real story is on the hotside...TD05's dwarf TD04's...
IMAG0452.jpg

TD04 on the left...look at the wheel difference...
turbos-td05evo3-vs-td04stock-11-600l.jpg

Turk, this build began in 2010 till 2011...the car has changed a few setups since then...I'll post it up soon :)

Rich17, these cars are really not too bad to work on once all the bullshit is out of the engine bay. ABS, EGR, Emissions, AWS, Cruise Control, Misc Brackets when removed make the cussing go down dramatically when working on it and makes it manageable....it sucks that theres two of everything compared to a DSM...but what can ya do nomsayin...:dunno:

Willizm, I've got dyno charts and a story to post with them...It will be up soon..:D

EDIT: LINK FIXED FOR VIDEO IN FIRST POST

Thread Info