Mikes 13 DGM WRX

Hey guys, joined here awhile back but haven't made any posts yet haha.

Anyways, my names Mike, I had a 99 grand prix gt which I still kind of own and doing a big turbo build on. But that's not what this thread is about.

I used to work for advance auto parts for around the past 4 years. Well 2 summers ago armor all and stp gave all team members these tests to take online about their different products. If all courses were completed, you were entered in a contest to win some prizes. Prizes included Ipads and cash prizes with a grand prize of 35,000 dollars for a new car.. Soo, out of 50,000 employees in the US, 2000 took the courses, out of 2000, I won the 35k.

IMG_20121103_131031.jpg

So, when they told me I was probably in shock for a couple weeks. But, it was time to figure out what I wanted to buy. Had a few choices and my main criteria for the new car were to have something manual and/or something that was 4 cylinder/turbo platform.

First choice was the new regal gs. I love the design and the cars are pretty enjoyable to drive. Well, the dealers I spoke with would not make the 35 in cash work... No clue why, they must have sniffed paint as kids. Who knows.. Oh well, let's move on.

Next choice, focus st, which if anyone reading this works at advance and looks through the front runner magazine, If you saw the article about me, it says that this was my choice... Well, it was the current car I was looking at, not my final choice though. I loved the st as well as the gs. It was very strong and a nice car to drive. And price wise, it fit the budget with flying colors. But, I needed something more... And as I was having dealers look for a 202a package focus, my friends told me to check out a subaru or evo... So I did...

I made a trip after class one day to a subaru dealer about an hour or so away. When I got there they didn't have anything new in stock, but they had an 11 sti hatch in stock.. So I drove it and let me tell you, what a blast it was.. Easily topped the gs and focus in power and gave me the biggest shit eating grin.

So back to the dealer we went to talk stuff over and I told them about the contest. After looking over numbers, an sti wouldn't be able to fit the bill either since subaru is tight on their prices. Which is understandable with the sti and what comes with it. So I left the dealer that day kind of sad and rethinking the focus. Until my buddy who bought his 12 wrx from that dealer told me that we were gonna go back and talk to his salesman. So two days later, we go back in his car, and at that time he had the 12 and it had some work done to it. Basic stage 2 parts with a front mount. Car dynoed 310/330. Felt amazing.

We get to the dealer and talk to his salesman. We discuss a wrx instead of an sti. He tells me that 4 are coming in but they are all hatchbacks and not sedans.. I didn't really like the hatch body. So I was sad again... Until he told me that there was a sedan on the list.. He told me it was orange.. I knew that it was the special edition 13 and got a giant smile. The computer said December delivery for it and we decided that was my car. The next day I put 200 down to hold it and I waited. This was early/mid November at the time.

Well, November went by and we were nearing the end of December already... Still no car.. After some digging and calling SOA.. The special edition wasn't coming out till may.. I was pissed.

I called my salesman that day and told him to forget about the special edition and find me a dark gray metallic limited sedan, fully loaded. He texted me the next day saying he had the car and would have it there the next week.

That next Saturday I went and picked my new baby up.

IMG_20130105_121017.jpg

And here's where the fun begins.....

So I had a blast over last winter with the car. I got it with a few factory upgrades like the spt short throw and the 2.5 catback. Sounded great and felt great.. But the first 1000 miles sucked when all I could Rev to was 4k :(... After that break in though, I loved it even more.

I did a few cosmetic upgrades along with an intake and mudflaps over the rest of that winter and spring.

IMG_20130315_142338_zps2d466d9e.jpg

IMG_20130611_175341_zpsee44502b.jpg

IMG_20130603_182806_zps739ce026.jpg

IMG_20130612_024201_zpsb4d58513.jpg

IMG_20130612_024234_zps92844363.jpg

IMG_20130612_024325_zps7aaaf22e.jpg

IMG_20130612_024355_zps9c3a44e8.jpg

FB_IMG_13794516728219944_zpsc91f65a9.jpg

So I have bought a few things in the past few months.

So far I have collected these parts:

Downpipe
Intake
Synapse DV
AOS
EBCS
Bigger Top Mount Intercooler
1200cc injectors
DW65c fuel pump
Perrin turbo inlet

A few weeks ago I planned out my build a little more. I decided that I was going to redo the fuel system up front.

I will be doing larger lines into aeromotive fuel rails and an aeromotive fpr. I traded my 1200cc injectors for a set of DW 850cc injectors, since I will not be doing E85 anymore. My plan is to run an Aquamist HFS-3 methanol kit since it is honestly the only kit with a good failsafe. It actually cuts the wastegate pressure if the flow drops or the pump would happen to fail.

The meth kit will really help fight against ringland failure. To also compete with the cylinder issues, I picked up this piece today for an amazing price 

It is an Tomei equal length header. Now I was one of those guys that would never get an equal length header due to it getting rid of the famous boxer rumble...But after coming to my senses and realizing that I would rather have a happy engine than a noise, I went with the elh. And I got it from my buddy who does part outs of wrecked subarus. I will be planning on getting an ewg uppipe for the car. I will be going with the gt-spec since it really is the only 3 bolt uppipe/ewg combo.

So with this combo I will not be running hella boost, I will most likely have it tuned for 20 pounds and leave it at that. At that level I will be in a perfect power/torque range. Not in it for the numbers but I think I should be around 320whp/350wtq. And with cylinder 2 and 4 having the header and meth to help them, it should be a very healthy engine.

Thanks for the welcome guys!! Really appreciate the kind words.

I will explain the contest a little more, they gave me "up to" 35,000 to spend. So say if I would have spent only 26,000...That would have been it. I would not have gotten the difference in cash. So the sticker price on the rex was 31,730. With tax, title, and the upgrades I got with it, the dealer made it 35,000 flat out the door.

They also got me a full set of winter wheels/tires. As you can see in the very first picture of the car. That was the day I picked it up. The tricky part to this kind of thing, (much like winning the lottery) is the tax on the whole winnings. A gift tax comes into play in this situation and the current gift tax rate is along the line of 30-35%. So let's take the worst case scenario and it is 35%, that would be $12,250 that I need to pay in taxes. Well, how this differs from the lottery is that this is looked at as a gift and not just straight lottery winnings. So gift tax laws dictate that the gift giver pays the tax, well, how they handled this in the contest was to send me a personal check for 40% of what I spent...So, do some math here and you get $14,000 that they sent me in a check to cover whatever the tax comes to.

Now after speaking with my tax consultant, she told me that for 2013 she believes the gift tax rate will be low 30s if not high 20 percentile. So say we go back to the worst case scenario and it is, 35%. I should at the least, come out with $1750 in my pocket :)

Thread Info