Snowmobile 440 powered EZ-GO Golf Cart... Yes, you read correctly.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
null_zps74cb0ff8.jpg

This was a long time in the making... [MENTION=4674]Mike@Devo2ning[/MENTION] and I had been talking about this for the last year or so but never got around to it. Well, about two weeks ago we decided it was time. I will add more detail later but here are he basics...

1992 EZ-GO electric golf cart (white one, green is Mikes)

1978 Yamaha 440 Exciter Snowmobile (White one)
null_zps360b3bf3.jpg

1989 Club Car shiftable axle (have to flip leaf pirches and add shock and brake cable mounts)
null_zpscd4a9eeb.jpg

null_zpscc7e853b.jpg

Club car gas shifter mechanism in place of the old electrical lever.
null_zpsf761a5c2.jpg

And it's all going to be coming together this week... I'm going to take some more pictures of the actual guts of the project, but it should be a fun little toy... I was essentially going for a side by side ATV on a budget, so it'll be getting a 4" lift and some swampers once all the mechanical stuff is done.

If all goes according to plan they will be at Luke's on Thursday...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I know this is probably a budget project but why not a newer bigger motor? How much faster would a 70's 440 sled powered golf cart be then a stock one with the limiters removed?

15 horsepower vs. low 50's stock, probably close to 60 jetted with a pipe. My engine is also .060 over and has a tuned clutch. Pair that with a welded axle and DOT tires it should hoist the tires with ease.

A stock cart with limiter removed can kiss 30 with a single rider... In all honesty I should be able to do 75+ in it, but, I can't say for sure. I'm putting this together not really knowing what to expect lol.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
15 horsepower vs. low 50's stock, probably close to 60 jetted with a pipe. My engine is also .060 over and has a tuned clutch. Pair that with a welded axle and DOT tires it should hoist the tires with ease.

A stock cart with limiter removed can kiss 30 with a single rider... In all honesty I should be able to do 75+ in it, but, I can't say for sure. I'm putting this together not really knowing what to expect lol.

That sounds :pedobear:

Wasn't sure what Golf Carts had in them stock.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Vids to come when we finally get it going....

Mike already has his motor in and is just finishing up a few things on his... He started with a gas cart so did not need to do anything drastic except some suspension modification to accommodate the factory exhaust from his motor, a late 80's 440 Yami. We may be able to get you fine people some footage of his cart doin' it's thang later this evening ;)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I feel like this needs a roll cage or wheelie bars. And a large beer cooler in the front to keep the wheels down.

I'm actually working on figuring out a cage for it. It will look something like this
null_zpsd30de9e3.jpg

With some expired 5-point harnesses I have laying around.

Like I said in the OP, it's being built to be a budget Polaris Ranger or comporable side by side except better and for 1/4 the money. I can say as of right now with the purchase of the cart, running snowmobile and rear axle I'm only in it about $500. I've also got some electrical components and the rear axle that came out of mine which I can probably recuperate about $300 from... So, all in all with the lift and tires and whatever else I plan to do I should be well under $1,500 total. About 1/4 of what a used ranger goes for.

They'll even look similar In the end haha

null_zpsd30de9e3.jpg

null_zps203ab15f.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
And if I wanted to get crazy with it, I could feasibly get a T-case, driveshaft and front end from a wrecked 4x4 quad and weld it all in, giving me full independent front suspension as well. All in due time and as necessity demands it. As much as it'll be fun, I'm building it for heavy use on trails and around my farm. Hence finding a shiftable axle so it has reverse (most don't bother) and other stuff of the sort.

Mike@Devo2ning

Mike Da Mechanic
Jan 26, 2012
IL
Well it's been on its first trip around the parking lot and down the street. I still need to figure out a throttle cable adapter for the pedal, currently it's cable in hand setup. The 1980's crusty EZGO belt is a bit crusty and too large and slightly to skinny, but it definitely scoots. Off the line it wants to get light in the front end, and I'm excited to see what it does with a better fitting belt. :pedobear:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well it's been on its first trip around the parking lot and down the street. I still need to figure out a throttle cable adapter for the pedal, currently it's cable in hand setup. The 1980's crusty EZGO belt is a bit crusty and too large and slightly to skinny, but it definitely scoots. Off the line it wants to get light in the front end, and I'm excited to see what it does with a better fitting belt. :pedobear:

See if there's a spare belt under the hood of my sled. If not get on that shit tonight! And see if fairway has throttle cables in stock, and when you're there you can pick up my gas tank :)

Thread Info