[Car Parts] Out With The Old And Busted (Literally)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
And In with the new and dependable!

About a week and a half ago I was leaving work. Pulled away in first, went to shift to 2nd, and the shifter just flopped back. I was like GREAT. So I turned around, went back to work, tore off my center console, and saw this!

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

A bolt in my shifter had sheared off. Its a B&M, which trust me, Ive heard all the horror stories about it, but it was on my car before I bought it and I've owned the car now for over 5 years and have never had an issue with it...until now. I thought about trying to repair it and putting better grade bolts in it like some others have done, but I was like screw it. I'm done with this thing. So I bought this!

mgw-p.jpg

It's an mgw, which is for mustangs, but this company Proxses modifies them to fit GTO's, and thus are called mgw-p's.

It arrived this week, so today I set to tearing the old one out and putting this one in. It wasnt a BAD process, aside from 2 bolts in the front that are underneath the body of the car, and you have to actually lower the trans down a few inches to get any clearance in there. Even then they're still a bitch to get out, but I did, and then eventually got the new shifter in and all locked down.

Heres the finished product!

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

After I let all the loctite set for awhile I took her out for a spin. Feels GREAT. A little notchy right now but Im sure that'll smooth out a little when it breaks in. Finds every gear its supposed to tho. Coming from the B&M I can't say if the throws feel any better or worse, but they do feel good. Hopefully everything stays tight and doesnt develop any rattles. We'll see when I get it out this week. All in all tho definitely glad I went with this shifter. The B&M is now in the trash.

I mean look at this. This is another part that breaks on a lotta people. Im glad all I did was snap a bolt. Look at how puny that is.

IMG_0734.jpg

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yeah. Took me longer than most people seem to do it, but thats just me. I'm slow at this stuff. Plus it didnt help that I had to run over to my brothers house and pick up my metric hex wrench set id forgot i loaned him :roflpicard: But other than that and those 2 problem bolts that everyone always struggles with, it was pretty smooth sailing.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Got a chance to drive with the windows up today. This thing is WHISPER quiet. In my research I read a lot of people complaining about road noise, and even going so far as to adding extra padding and insulation to quiet it down. It is now my understanding that they are all clearly insane. Man I love this thing.

Thread Info