Dasfinc's intermediate DD

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Since I've decided to buckle down an pursue one of my dream cars, my DD for the next probably year is the civic I had FS in the classifieds for a while.

1997 Civic LX, 4 door, 5 speed:

Nothing super special, but I've always wanted an EK Sedan with a 5 speed to play around with (Semi sleeper with a swap, usable rear seats, great MPG's).

Depending upon what falls into my lap, I'd like to toss a B18B or B20 into it in a few months just for a little more grunt (since the current motor has 225K on the clock), and take it Auto-Xing with Miss Esa and our Mini.

Did my first little 'mods' this evening just to make it a little nicer:

-Replaced the stock headunit with a crappy aftermarket one I had laying around
-Replaced the lower DIN slot where the cassette deck was with one from a newer civic (that has a cubby).
-Replaced the OEM shift knob with an Integra one
-Already has Poly shifter bushings and a short shifter

Things to come:
-Need to fix the rear sagging headliner
-Need to replace the front wheel bearings (will probably just upgrade the whole spindle with Integra ones).
-Need to do rear disk swap
-Some small cosmetic stuff (replace hazed headlights, and peeling grill).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
5 lug conversion would be worth more than the car I'd imagine :(

I was thinking cheap/common upgrades, like Integra spindles/disks all around, and stuffing a B20 into it.

I could get the whole brake/spindle setup from a Jyard for like $150 or so.

CRV's pop up with fair regularity at Aurora-U-Pull it, where they sell longblocks for only $250. B20B's are low comp and work well with cheap boost, B20Z's are high comp and work well just NA. GSR or SI Trans, and it should be a peppy little DD.

I don't get why people even bother trying to make shit cars "fast". When brand new camry's are seconds faster stop light to stop light.

Just drive the turd till the engine lets go and swap in whatever is cheapest. Rinse, repeat.

I know a brand new camry are faster stop light to stop light, I have no delusions about how slow this car will always be in a straight line.

My B18B1 swapped 95 coupe ran a 15.2 at 80 something, hardly impressive.

The clutch is not long for this world, and the motor has a quarter million miles. B20 swap is stupid cheap (as in like $200-300 more than putting in a replacement motor honestly). Nothings going to happen today or tomorrow anyways though.

Honda = sleeper

I LOL'ed

Think about the clapped out ricers you see all over, they are usually Hatches, Coupes, or the 92-95 style sedans. I don't see many riced-out 96-00 Sedans, which is why I've always kind of wanted a cleaner one.

That's the plan.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
BTW, I'll sell the 5-lug to you for $900, gimme another $100 for my old prelude SH wheels ($300 less than I'm asking for that on CL) and you're set. Big brakes, better bearings, well... better everything. 5-lug cars will always retain more value for resale too. You'll thank yourself later.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I started buying cars 10yrs ago, I'm on 28. IF you count this other integra I bought, that's 29.

Ditto, I've been buying cars for the past 9 years, and am on 32 right now.

BTW, I'll sell the 5-lug to you for $900, gimme another $100 for my old prelude SH wheels ($300 less than I'm asking for that on CL) and you're set. Big brakes, better bearings, well... better everything. 5-lug cars will always retain more value for resale too. You'll thank yourself later.

no point in trying to add that kind of value to a car with 225K on the clock, so I'll have to pass :hs:.

Thread Info