1987 Camaro IROC-Z - BrandoLSX Build Thread

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I just realized I never made a build thread for this car. Just a brake upgrade thread. So here it is.

I bought this car in High School in 2003 from my parents. My mom bought this car and never drove it. It just sat. It had a short in the cable going to the battery and it kept dying on her. She didn't know why until I bought it off her. My Dad Found the problem, replaced the cable, and it has run fine ever since.

000_0034_zps0f32309e.jpg

000_57_zps7f7418c6.jpg

The car is originally a 305 5.0 TPI car. With a 700R4 trans and a 3.23 POSI read-end and had 40,000 miles on it. Never seen a winter, no rust, and original paint. The engine wasn't the cleanest one out there and it was bone stock.

000_0042_zps48929aef.jpg

000_128_zps1dcfd529.jpg

Back in high school I was into stereo systems so I had built and installed a custom enclosure with two 12" Kenwood subwoofers, an amp and Capacitor.

000_86_zps4ff6d240.jpg

000_89_zpsdfb1825d.jpg

000_116_zps3e9d8efd.jpg

000_115_zpse2d1b193.jpg

Last edited:

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
With the 305 still in the car I added a big ass lopey cam and I thought I was a badass motherfucker. A few months later it wiped out a cam bearing. Did some thinking and decided to build a completely new engine. I had enough of that 305 boat anchor bullshit and knew it had to be at least a 350 cubic inch. At the time I thought swapping an LS motor and electronics was going to be too much work. I settled on a 350 ZZ4 iron block with forged internals. Picked up a nice pair of RHS heads. Comp Cams Mutha Thumper Cam with lifters, pushrods, springs and a roller rocker stud girdle. Also added a pricey TPIS Mini-Ram Intake manifold. Larger 58mm throttle body. 42lb injectors. With an MSD 6AL. At this point I regret just not getting an LS based motor but it's kind a unique motor that most people dont see anymore.

101_1085_zps34ce1103.jpg

101_1086_zpsbcfdf0aa.jpg

Old 305 Parts:
101_1088_zps8c1c8114.jpg

101_1089_zps50f07f91.jpg

101_1090_zpsb4338b8f.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I know I had made separate build thread for this brake upgrade, but I wanted to make a complete thread for the whole car. I decided last winter that I really wanted to update the look of my car. My stock IROC wheels were peeling and the braking power wasn't the greatest. So I decided it was time to upgrade the braking system on my Camaro. I searched forums and many websites to get ideas of where to go with this. I originally started with wanted to just do an LS1 upgrade. The further I got looking into it, the C5 Corvette brake set-up wasn't much more and looked way bigger. I was contemplating on cutting the spindles myself and make my own brackets. But the more I thought about it, this could cost me much more time and money than it's worth. So I knew about a site called www.bigbrakeupgrade.com. I emailed them with all my questions concerns. Scott (runs the upgrade site) emailed me back everyday until all my questions were answered. He was very informative and helpful. You basically send your stock spindles in as a core and then they will send back everything you need. They even offer powder coating.

photo2-3.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

The Old Spindles are off.
photo4-2.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
Once I got the spindles off and ready to ship out, I really examined everything in the wheel well and decided I might as well clean it up while I have everything apart. My underbody coating was cracking and falling off. My springs, struts, and control arm were still in perfect functioning condition but just looked rough. So I decided to powder coat the control arm and clean and paint the other parts. I also wanted to fix the cracking rubberized coating in the wheel well, so I scrapped it all off and recoated it.

photo2-5.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I tried a few different ways to get the bushing out of the control arms. I tried getting them pressed out and drilling the centers out in hopes that they would just fall apart. Then, thanks to youtube I found a very simple way to remove them. All you need to do is drill a drill bit in between the edge of the bushing and the wall of the control arm. Start the drill slowly and it will start walking around the outside of the bushing. After no time at all the bushing pushed itself out.

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

Finally got the control arms back from the powder coater.

DSCN0938.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I decided to go with Nitto 555 tires. I put some Nitto 555R Drag Radials in the back.

Sneak Peak:
photo1-5.jpg

View Through the wheels.
photo1.jpg

Since I had the springs off all winter, the car sits higher than is did before the winter. She has been lowering a bit each week. She should sit back down where she was before I took everything apart. When I had my engine out the car did the exact same thing. It looked like I jacked the front end up.

photo2-6.jpg

After a nice fresh buff:

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I took the stereo system out awhile ago and no longer have one in the car just a head unit. The front end could use some more lowering but the car stays in a underground garage with a steep incline drive to get it out. It scrapes sometime as it is, so I am waiting until I get a place to keep it that I can just drive straight out of and not worry about ripping the front end off the car.

I'm currently installing a 4th gen rear end. I am going to be tearing it down and putting a 4.10 Motiv gear in it. I have a "LS1" Brake set-up to put on that with matching rotors and powder coating as the fronts. The 4th gen rear end is a tad longer than the third gen unit and won't require me to have spacers on the back which is a good thing and put the wheels where they need to be.

Also planning on ripping out the trans and getting it re-built with better internals, a shift kit and putting a 3500 stall converter in it. My car is a dog right now without it. So hopefully by this summer it will all be done so I can see what this engine has got. Maybe I won't hold the non LS engine decision over my head.

dsc_0457.jpg

Thread Info