e85+TurboV8+FMS=Happy Will

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Hey guys I haven't updated my build thread in some time but I wanted to share some changes that I made. I recently decided to go e85 and man has it been a badass way to run more boost safely. Ethanol is good, damn good. I have two stations near my home that have e85 and both tested out to be e95 and e90 respectively. I spoke with Brandon over at Fast Motorsports about my options and what would be the best route for me. Since I have a copy of hptuners, an e85 test kit, and willing to do some homework I decided that it was the only route to go for me. My existing tune was on 93 octane and running 20-22 degrees of timing at 12.5psi. I didn't really feel comfortable with the tune at that timing so I grabbed some 5 gal of e85 and dropped the car off with Brandon. My thought is that if I need to go 93 octane then I can run the tank really low, pull up to a pump of 93, fill it up and flash with hptuners/macbook with the 93 octane map. I haven't had to do it yet, but it's an option and honestly I carry my laptop everywhere I go for work purposes.

475572_331309106928098_1635857983_o.jpg

I had a pretty good fueling setup to begin with. It consists of dual in tank Walbro pumps, fuel lab BRFR, -8 fuel feed, and rails. The only thing I needed was to upgrade my existing 60lb injectors to 95lbers.

My Review of the Tune
So after I got my car back from Brandon all I can say is damn this car is so freaking responsive. He had completely rewritten many of the tables in hptuners and also adjusted some of the settings on the boost controller that allows the turbo to spool much quicker than before. The car just absolutely pulls and I have to baby sit the throttle because it will spin like no other. I've never had a car where going WOT was more of a death sentence than a dare especially on dusty back roads and that is only on 12psi:D. There are some drivability things that Brandon and I have to work through, but I have confidence that these will be resolved shortly.

Car dyno'd at 694whp and 622wtq on e85 at 17psi SAE with converter unlocked. Not bad for a summer daily driver:s00ls:
willz7.jpg

79d188c1.jpg

f267c13b.jpg

I had some issues though along the way. First was going e85 loosens deposits in the fuel tank that ended up clogging my fuel filter. This I was expecting so I wasn't too surprised by it. Another issue was a small oil leak that was coming from the pcv valve. Not sure if I should just delete it but a quick trip to Ace hardware fixed that. Of course these are unrelated to the tune over all, but little things.

ee556530.jpg

5b720f14.jpg

The other issue was related to my trans. I ended up throwing a code (P0757) when I started up the car one day. I really didn't know what caused the code to throw but it's basically a fault in the 1-2 shift solenoid. Well I decided since I didn't see this code previously I would just clear it to see if it came back. Bad idea, very bad idea. I went out with my brother in law to gather some data logs to see how the car was running with my new e85 fueling setup. Well everything was going well then all of a sudden we get to the top of second and bam we are bouncing off the rev limiter and going nowhere fast. WTF, well long story short and various bits of testing we figured it was the 3-4 clutches that got fried. Now I have full confidence that this wasn't something that Brandon did. I checked with Chuck from FLT and turns out that after that code throws and clearing it will fail the trans over to 3rd gear due to the looseness of the converter. Doesn't happen all the time, but if it does throw the solution is to delete the code permanently(along with the P0751 code). After checking my previous tune files I found that this code was never deleted previously. Just so happened that it through the code after getting the car back from Fast. Oh well, live and learn and I couldn't see myself holding anyone responsible more than myself. Time to pull the trans :(

081c8014.jpg

Got the trans back and decided to install a trans temp gauge. Will keep eyes on my temps as the 4l65e is finicky when it comes to temps. I will be allocating some funds to a 4l80e trans and converter for next winter. For my power levels it just makes more sense.

1a871b0e.jpg

689f7749.jpg

I also went ahead and installed a KUP head vent system since the stock ls1 only vents the front of the heads. Just added insurance as it has been thought that heat builds up in the rear of the head and can cause failure of the #7 ring. Not proven, but every bit helps.

3c4f804f.jpg

Now with more bracket and upward slope for the return.

6be6c4c2.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You should change the fuel filter right after you go E85, and then religiously every 6 months (thats at least what I do). I have never seen E85 that tested E90 or E95, you might want to make sure you are testing correctly. Did he change the stoich AFR or scale the IFR to setup for the E85?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
You should change the fuel filter right after you go E85, and then religiously every 6 months (thats at least what I do). I have never seen E85 that tested E90 or E95, you might want to make sure you are testing correctly. Did he change the stoich AFR or scale the IFR to setup for the E85?

Yep I tested it before and the batch that I brought him originally from the same pump was e87ish. It's not an exact science by any means using the test tubes, but I'm pretty diligent in making sure the levels are as accurate and level as possible when adding water and ethanol. He did have to scale the IFR tables and the stoich AFR is set for e85. My AEM UEGO gauge reads based off lambda but I'm looking for a better gauge to read my AFR more accurately when on E85 like the LM2 wideband.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX

Will, what IDC are you hitting at that power level? I too was considering E85... I've got 80#'s, thinking I don't have enough injector to get E85 into the picture without going to a much larger injector.
I'll have to check some of my logs on the duty cycle and let you know. I know talking with Brandon that 80lbers would be too close to not cutting it and imagine that your setup will make more peak power which will probably require a bit more fueling up top than me. I'd imagine you would need to jump to a larger injector as well.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Hell yeah, man! I don't really want to be able to push crazy psi all the time, else I WILL! So I'll get a solid 93 tune figured out, then I'll start in on a c16 tune. At least that's my plan.

Congrats man!
Me neither, I'm only going to up the controller when I need to which will probably be at the strip. But I may be tempted here or there. :smile:
Nice numbers dude! So is the car out and drivable again?

Yes it is, I've been out driving for about a week now

Thread Info