My dad's Pride and JOY! Merry (early) Christmas to him

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Though he isn't a member, my father just got his motor installed in his 1936 Ford 5-window. He's building a "Retro Rod" with all of the old performance parts. The car is all steel, except for the rear fenders. He had the rear fenders, but they would have cost more to fix than they were worth. This car will be on the street by this summer.

Personally, I think the car nees to be sectioned and channeled, but he likes the car just the way it is. BTW, that is his 1960 Pontiac Catalina in the background. That car has scored 399 out of 400 points 4 years running at the P.O.C.I. National's (it's a 425-A motor) Here are the pictures:

AnteriorObliquepreinstall.jpg

WCherrypicker.jpg

MotorFlash.jpg

As I'm sure a few of want to know, the motor is a 1949 Mercury flathead. In 1936, they were pushing about 85 horsepower out of these 239 c.i.d.'s. If you had a Mercury motor, you would have had around 100 horsepower from 255 c.i.d. It basically was like having a stroker.

In 1949, they upped the horsepower in the Ford's to 100 horses and 115 in the Mercury's. With all of the aftermarket parts, including:

-Red's (Ford Script) Headers
-Hildebrand Quick Change rear end
-Isky Max-1 Street C
-Johnson Adjustable lifters
-S-10 5-speed trans.
-Posey Spring's
-4" dropped front axle
-4 point steering
-Juice Brakes (replacing the mechanical)
-Stromberg 97's (carb's)
-Vortex Magneto Ignition
-Edelbrock finned Aluminum Heads
-Edelbrock Aluminum Hi-RISE intake

He should bring that number up to a whopping 155 to 160 horse. It does not sound like a lot, but that's a 50% increase over the 1949 Ford motor and almost double the horsepower over the 1936 stock motor's. :ford:

One thing about this car is the Edelbrock Hi-RISE intake. I was trying to convince my father to sell it and get a Edelbrock triple intake. The guy who rebuilt the motor commented that he has seen several of the triple carb's and they are really hard to tune properly. The Dual is not only easier, but because the carb's are so high off the motor, it's like having a CAI. He stated, he has only seen 2 of these in person. One was back in 1958 when he watched someone open the box when they picked it up at the speed shop he was at...pretty much a fluke thing. The second was on this car.

I guess they are about as easy to find as hens teeth, so he decided to keep it. They discontinued that intake sometime in the late 50's.

He also has the gas filler in the rear fender and 1939 Ford tail lights.

upperoblique.jpg

LowerOblique.jpg

Last edited:

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
amazing man, truly amazing. ill see it at mulligans i presume? thats incredibly awesome tho.
.Yeah, it will prob. be there a few times
Very nice!! I love them old cars...and I will own one someday, lol You should have your dad look at this...I know 160hp is alot from a flathead but how bout 550hp. :)
He knows about them. Thats cool but he wants nostalgia. He had a set of old magnesium American Racing rims, but they didn't fit in the fenders.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
was that motor done at PER? looks very familiar

No, it was rebuilt behind a locals house...guy named Frank Paige. He used to do a lot of work for a guy named Rich Adams. He knows a lot about these old motors, which is why he got to do the build...nice guy.

That is fuckin' awesome. Any more pics of the Catalina?

Only a few...here they are:

aaJPG.jpg

with George Barris:
bb.jpg

Last edited:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Awesome Catalina. I've seen that car around a bunch. My uncle has a 1968 GTO that he bought brand new, and his buddy has an original 1965 Catalina droptop with 4-speed manual. We go to the POCI events with those cars every year. And, of course, you dad's car is always front and center since it's a consistent winner.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Is he building the car from blueprints? or is the design completely inside his head?
There are no blueprints, so I assume its all coming from his head and what he likes. When he is finished with that, we are going to start on my 1991 5-speed drop top T/A (1 of 492 total converts built that year, 1 of 104 with a manual trans and one of only a mere handful with a cloth interior / bare bones options, BUT has the WS-6 suspension and 305 TPI).

Thread Info