Byron dragaway starting to tech

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I feel that if they are going to start enforcing the roll bar/cage rules that's gonna cost them a lot of business, the test and tune crowd is just going to go to GLD.

But then again their insurance is probably forcing the change and there isn't much they can do about it, sucks for the guys with the fast street cars.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

We heard about this on another forum.
The insurance people supposedly cracked down on them??

I've been racing at Byron a very long time and have never been teched.
Back when I had my 12 second street car, 8 second 10" tire car and now the Pro-Mod, T/S car, never even a glance.
Of course we know Ray for many of those years.
All we did was slow down long enough to say hello and go park.

As tight as the spacing is there, it really didn't allow for a lot of time for inspections.

Plus I'm not even sure if any of the employees are qualified to tech a car like mine???
I know 1st time we showed up at 41 with the new car the guy goes nobody here can tech this monster, just go ahead.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wait, do you need a cage if you're faster than 11.5? Lots of factory cars are capable of that...lol

Factory I believe is until 9.9.... hence why the demon was getting crap because it didn't have one.

Non factory cars modified to run that fast need a cage at 11.9 I believe?

Idk maybe Route 66 lied to me but when I finished my setup on the trans am, I made one pass only and was told I was done and to leave

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Byron I can understand now. Hell I don't know how some of these tracks have lasted this long. Last time at 41 I shook the tech guys hand and he signed my paperwork. Never opened the hood, never checked a helmet.

However that GLD rule is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Byron I can understand now. Hell I don't know how some of these tracks have lasted this long. Last time at 41 I shook the tech guys hand and he signed my paperwork. Never opened the hood, never checked a helmet.

However that GLD rule is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Last time I went to GLD the car was still on the trailer when Tech signed off. :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Factory I believe is until 9.9.... hence why the demon was getting crap because it didn't have one.

Non factory cars modified to run that fast need a cage at 11.9 I believe?

Idk maybe Route 66 lied to me but when I finished my setup on the trans am, I made one pass only and was told I was done and to leave

That is correct. The car has to be stock to be considered for that 10.0 rule. Otherwise, the cars have to follow normal rules.

I am surprised it took that long for these tracks to tighten up their tech. I am guilty of running 9's with out even a roll bar. I know that wasn't the smartest thing. The car was overbuilt and I only meant to run 10.99. Well, it went 9.7 way too easy. But you will hear me preaching about safety equipment. No one like to spend money on stuff that doesn't make the car any faster. That is until something happens and that safety equipment saves your ass.

I get the whole cage in a street car thing. I really do. When you want to have a dual purpose car that is fast, you have to make lots of compromises. That cage is a big one. That is when I say get a custom cage built. One that is as tight to the car as it can be. Giving you the most distance between yourself and the tubing.

I am sure US41 will follow with tougher tech as well. They may not be as bad as RT66 can be, but expect them to follow the rules a little closer with 9.99 and faster cars.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I don't think anyone should be mad that they're doing their job . They'll probably still be somewhat lax on regular slow car test and tuners . Last time I was there on the 4th they didn't even look at my car . It was free holiday racing , but still .

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
GLD is a IHRA track and recently US41 became a IHRA track as well. Byron is NHRA so do your research/refresh each year to see what your car needs to have. I have had to school some of the tech guys on their own rules with my car and friends cars so it really helps to know what you are talking about and not just assume what they are as the rules change.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I also admit I was one of the dumb ass's that didn't pay any attention to safety :(
I ran 9.88 at 41 with no cage, stock axles, stock posi, and probably no loop :(

When you're young and an idiot, you do stupid things!!!!
35 years of experience and hopefully we do less stupid things!!!!
Damn I'm old, my 1st pass was 1982!!!!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I am all for safety as obviously it is there to protect you as well as the track. It just really sucks that it's so expensive to be safe. Hell the different between a 10.0 and 9.9 in safety cost is astounding. Unless you know how to weld, have your own shop etc.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
I am all for safety as obviously it is there to protect you as well as the track.
It just really sucks that it's so expensive to be safe.
Hell the different between a 10.0 and 9.9 in safety cost is astounding.
Unless you know how to weld, have your own shop etc.

That's a fact.
I just got my medical for NHRA & IHRA, then I have to pay for both license, then all the added equipment for that extra thou!!!!
Nobody ever said our sport was cheap, just awesome!!!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am all for safety as obviously it is there to protect you as well as the track. It just really sucks that it's so expensive to be safe. Hell the different between a 10.0 and 9.9 in safety cost is astounding. Unless you know how to weld, have your own shop etc.

Is that money worth it if you ever need it and it saves you from injury or death? You almost have to think of it as an insurance policy or investment in yourself and family.

Or throttle stop your car at 11.50 so you don't need a cage or roll bar. lol

That's a fact.
I just got my medical for NHRA & IHRA, then I have to pay for both license, then all the added equipment for that extra thou!!!!
Nobody ever said our sport was cheap, just awesome!!!

Buying a subscription to their magazine and all that cost sucks for sure. The equipment I am ok with. But that BS sucks. lol

Thread Info