TCG does (spectates) Hot Rod Drag Week at GLD - Sept 16

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've never been to a drag week event but I suspect it starts early in the morning and goes til mid afternoon or so because the cars then have to drive to the next stop after making passes.

GLD's gates open at 7:30 am and spectator entry is $10. I'd like to be there when the gates open, or around then, and set up for the day with tailgating, grilling and watching badass street cars.

We're talking about sub-7-second street cars, gassers, power added classes, NA classes, big block, small block, and so on. 350 cars are registered.

HOT ROD DRAG WEEK~ COMING TO GLD
Wednesday, September 16th
Gates Open at 7:30 AM ~ Spectators: $10. Kids 12 and under Free.

HOT ROD Drag Week is the event where street/strip cars are driven 1,000-plus miles on public roads during a trip that includes four dragstrips and five races in five days. The winner in each of the many classes is the car that averages the quickest elapsed time over the five races, and the quickest overall is named HOT ROD's Fastest Street Car in America. Drag Week: anything else is just talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q7q-XpXv1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuhdw8L7wkM

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Should we set up a carpool [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] so we can get in and get our shit on the same spot? I am thinking they wont let us tailgate next to the track. we'll have to stay in spectator parking most likely.

I am thinking it'll be just like when we did the NASCAR race last year.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Should we set up a carpool [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] so we can get in and get our shit on the same spot? I am thinking they wont let us tailgate next to the track. we'll have to stay in spectator parking most likely.

Depends which way you go. I'm coming from the northside so can meet at the Lake Forest Oasis.

And, yeah, we can set up in parking or near the bleachers I think. I'll call and ask the track.

I'm writing an article about tailgating with a Honda Fit so will be trying to pack a Honda Fit with as much tailgating gear as possible.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Spoke with GLD. To tailgate near the track you have to pay an additional $20 to get into pit parking. Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially with only a $10 entrance fee. That's what I'll be doing.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Lutz is bringing this pro mod car that runs 5.70s

12002329_10153636155708588_8048445988294590840_n.jpg

And this TT SBC Civic that ran 8.30s on low boost. 2,100 pounds and 1,000+ RWHP.

11202816_923943920978281_2242826076801458906_n.jpg

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Spoke with GLD. To tailgate near the track you have to pay an additional $20 to get into pit parking. Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially with only a $10 entrance fee. That's what I'll be doing.

:fy: Bringing my camping grill and [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION]'s pop up tent.

Is the head count just [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION], Brian and I?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:fy: Bringing my camping grill and [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION]'s pop up tent.

Is the head count just [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION], Brian and I?

Why don't we consolidate? Tailgate with us. I'm bringing a big ass tent from work with sun sides and a full-size weber grill. Bring a cooler with some beer and food to grill. I'll do the same. Right now it looks like it might be me, Eagle and possibly Mook.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Why don't we consolidate? Tailgate with us. I'm bringing a big ass tent from work with sun sides and a full-size weber grill. Bring a cooler with some beer and food to grill. I'll do the same. Right now it looks like it might be me, Eagle and possibly Mook.

Joe, what vehicle are we rolling in? Separate vehicles I take it?

Any idea where we want to set up shop?

What can I bring?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Joe, what vehicle are we rolling in? Separate vehicles I take it?

Any idea where we want to set up shop?

What can I bring?

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to fit anyone else in the Fit. I'm going to try and be there when the gates open at 7:30 am. GLD said we can set up facing east at the end of the farthest bleachers, around the 1/8th mile mark and near general parking. We'll probably be between the return road and general parking.

I'm going to bring burgers, buns, condiments and pop. Feel free to bring anything else you want. Maybe some chips and snacks. I might get some eggs to fry up since we'll be there pretty early.

Thread Info