• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I'm going crazy

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Does anyone have any idea what my Marauders issue is? Everytime it get's above 85 outside I will throw codes for P171 and P174, I pulled my plugs yesterday and the tips were white, so the car is actually running lean. When this happens I just cruise with it, never step on it.

This used to happen everytime I wanted to use the A/C when it's hot outside and sometimes it could happen just from using the cigarette lighter to charge the cell phone. Now this occurs all the time, when doing city driving.

Highways at 105 outside with A/C and the cell phone changer and the car runs fine. Local driving makes it throw the code.

Again, below 85 the car never throws the code.

What can this be???

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Dom, after reviewing some Internet traffic concerning P171/174, the most reported causes had to do with a vacuum leak caused by a torn or worn (cracked hose).

Some folks also reported the problem after the engine warmed up. Sometimes a worn out/torn gasket in a sensor that has a vacuum line attached caused the problem.

Hard to find, but an easy fix it seems.

Regards,

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Travis, Zack would know how to answer your question. I hope he chimes in and gives us some input.

Pat, if this was a gasket issue, to my understanding it would be a problem all the time. I changed an 02 censor and that didn't fix the issue, still throws codes from both banks. I have cleaned a ton of parts including the MAF.

My money has always been on the fuel pump, but the mad mechanic disagrees. The car does have a boost-a-pump and being that this issue only happens when it's hot out, I think the fuel pump is getting too hot or maybe bad for that matter.

I had a fuel pump go out under warranty and didn't even know it was bad until I went to the dealer. They told me it was only pumping about half the fuel it should pump on WOT, but that was nine years ago. I imagine a similar issue is happening because if I really want to throw those codes quickly, give it WOT when it's 90 outside, codes will pop up before you are off the throttle.

I guess the only way to figure out the fuel pump issue is a dyno run, but if someone can think of a better idea I would love to hear it.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I just spoke with Tim and he said he could fix it through email, but needs the cars computer code. Where can I find that? Also a code for the xcal2, but the sticker is now missing. Any idea where I find these codes?

Already looked at the car at the only code that made sense was the vin. I emailed Tim that and 2 other codes that I knew were in no relation to the tires. I think he has what he needs from the car, the xcal2 I am unsure of.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info