• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Effects of Detonation (pics)

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
These pics are from my original engine from my Blue car.

Im almost embarrased to post these, since I pride myself on being able to hear detonation. Thankfully I was able to drive the car home after this happened:

Look closely at the rod: (its bent)

2012-02-16_12-22-25_815.jpg

Piston top:

2012-02-16_12-22-54_958.jpg

Before this happened, I never had a fuel problem. I remember a turbo Subaru sneaking up on me at the on ramp to the freeway and I instinctively nailed it and put him in the dust. Where did I go wrong? I never watched the wideband, nor did I turn down the radio which was blaring. The one time I didnt follow my normal routine disaster struck.
All I remember is seeing a plume of smoke behind the car, and the Subaru owner laughing at me as he eventually passed me.. :-o

I ended up throwing a spark plug in it and driving another 500 trouble free miles with the exception of a small knock (from the bent rod)

I need this engine for the MM I just bought, so Im going to borrow a rod and piston from Dom's old engine, swap over the old rings to the new piston and hope for the best. (the rings move freely on the damaged piston and show no sign of damage)
Normally I wouldn't cut a corner like this but I am friggin broke and need to get this car running again on the cheap.

Moral of the story? If you drive a supercharged car, always watch the wideband and keep your ears open for detonation. ;)

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Yup, it's broke!

Do you think it leaned out or was it a case of too much timing in that particular instance - high IAT combined with marginal gas?

I haven't messed with tuning via SCT's package much, most of my work is with HPTuners. Does Ford have a method of reporting detonation via knock sensors - I can monitor KR on GM stuff via scanner, can something similar be reported with SCT's software?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info