• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Dominick's Car

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Had a nice man bring in his immaculate 190k Marauder for undercoating.

Ok now the real story ^^^Inside Joke^^^

Poor maintenance, bad tune, kerosene, driving with ear plugs in, engine noise, street racing etc etc and the car is at my house. I dont particulary like working on this car, due to its daily use, filth and the stubborn owner of it. But all that love aside, I started on it this morning and here we are with pics.

After procharger and fan removal:

C360_2011-12-18-08-32-44.jpg

Cluster F of procharger piping....FTL:

C360_2011-12-18-08-32-58.jpg

Leaking Trans cooler fitting.....trans was 2 quarts low:

C360_2011-12-18-08-33-13.jpg

I heard this when I pulled it into the garage last night:

C360_2011-12-18-08-35-48.jpg

Ok, this engine had a noticeable drivers side noise and closed the gap on the #5 when the 'event' happened months ago....Fast forward to this evening:

Cylinder 6:

C360_2011-12-18-16-41-46.jpg

Cylinder 7:

C360_2011-12-18-16-42-12.jpg

Wait for it....Cylinder 8 too:

C360_2011-12-18-16-42-45.jpg

Combustion chamber 6:

C360_2011-12-18-16-44-09.jpg

SHIT IS TORE UP!!!!!!

C360_2011-12-18-16-43-56.jpg

Other head:

C360_2011-12-18-16-45-11.jpg

C360_2011-12-18-16-45-19.jpg

Car is getting gnxs' old Cobra shortblock, the heads done, a transmission front seal, new oil pump and pipes fixed up.
Gonna put a 3.0 pulley on it from a 3.6 to make up for the lower compression.

Will probably need 60# injectors and a few other things to complement the pulley.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Kerosene? WTF? I want to hear the story on this one

Here's what happened: Years ago (Probably 2006) I went to Da Grove on opening day. Before I went to the track I bought 100 octane racing fuel at a station in Indiana... so I thought. So I filled the gas can and took it to the track. I made a few runs then pored the fuel into my car.

After 2 runs the engine started sounding bad. After the third it started knocking and I ran 16.1. The car was completely stock at the time. The check engine light comes on and I decide I am done racing.

The next day I go to the gas station and ask

"Is you racing fuel leaded?"

"What racing fuel?"

"The fuel in pump 14."

"That's kerosene. It's too early in the year for racin' gas."

The reason for this is for years this gas station sold racing gas at one pump that was away from the others. The day I go to it, it had Kerosene... my mistake for not reading the pump.

So I go home and cry to daddy (not cry) and told him I broke the car. I managed to drive it from WI to IN. I had to go to college on monday morning and it was a 300 mile drive. My old man told me to keep driving it (he knows hardly anything about cars, but makes me seem like an expert and I really don't know dick about cars) and I made it to Midland, MI.

I went to the Ford dealer and told them what I did. They told me they would change the plugs and fuel filter for $380. I asked them what the parts cost and when I found out I almost flipped my lid. So I bought the parts from Autozone and called some redneck friends I had and asked me if they could show me how to do this. At the time I didn't know how to change the plugs in this car, the fuel filter or even know that you had to gap the plugs. My family would NEVER let me work on my car or truck. Soon as I turned 18 I moved out and when I went to school a lot of people would just drink, I got to work on the car and learned all I could on it.

So when I went to my friends they showed me how to do everything. The fuel filter they left to me completely do on my own, but they found it. Boy it was messy. So we changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reprogram the computer. Soon as we were done we fired the car up and it was good as new.

I took it to the track the next weekend and set a new record by one tenth. About a year later I changed the engine to handle a supercharger. The old engine had 99,426 miles on it and I thought putting a blower on a 100K engine was a bad idea. Found a engine from another website (that I am now banned from and don't miss) and had Zack install it. My old engine had a problem and Zack later found out it was just a wiring issue. I was mad to find this out after the new engine was installed, but a new engine was needed anyway for the blower so in reality it wasn't a waste of money to me.

That's the story on the kerosene. The engine Zack took out most recently didn't see any kerosene, but he is right... the car has faced it.

More on Zack later.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Did you go to a dyno and verify the tune was bad?
Thats an unfair statment to make without proof.

Proof is in the pictures. I went to the guy 3 times that I remember. First time my blower was leaking oil so we stopped tuning it. I got the blower rebuilt and went back. After that tune was done the check engine light comes on after 2 days. Codes say the car is running rich and getting 11mpg on the highway. I call and ask what's up. He says change the O2 sensors. I do. At first I put the wrong ones in, then put the right ones in... the issue remained. Finally I put a smaller pulley on the blower and get a tune done... all the same guy. I tell him about the changes with the sensors and pulley. As the car is getting tuned he told me it idels properl, but at throttle it runs rich and to clean the MAF. I did that prior to the tune and it was still running rich. At that point he said didn't know what it was. I was tired of the 180 mile round trip and wasting my money telling me its this or that... when I would clean or replace this or that it still threw codes. I was sick of it, just drove it. When the engine blew the gas mileage nearly doubled and it wasn't from taking it easy after.... how screwed up is that?

There is more to the story, but that's trimming all the fat.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Relax. I have been following everything you have been throwing at me for this project. Plus I am ready to follow a new way to maintain the car. I bet its not as simple as oil changes. Whatever it is, I am ready.

Btw the intercooler was cleaned, just not in the past year.

Why are we even arguing? Its broken, its being fixed and I am paying for it. I know how big of a deal this is and how nice you are being. I might as well just say I am at fault for everything that's wrong with this car which in the end is true anyway.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Relax. I have been following everything you have been throwing at me for this project. Plus I am ready to follow a new way to maintain the car. I bet its not as simple as oil changes. Whatever it is, I am ready.

Btw the intercooler was cleaned, just not in the past year.

The only way to clean an intercooler is to submerge it in a hot tank of chemicals.

Oil being ingested into the engine is the most likely culprit of the damage.

Oil in engine = DETONATION.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info