• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Muffler swap

FordNut

Oct 13, 2010
The howdy's are out of the way, so...
This ain't much but it's a little tech related.

I've been running Edelbrock Performer RPM mufflers for a long time. They sound good, but I've decided the car is too loud (actually the wife's nag,nag,naging about the loud exhaust) so I did some research on muffler sound/performance comparisons. Ratings for quieter performance mufflers said the Borla XS were quieter so I figured I would try them out. Then I found out the XS are a lot shorter than the Edelbrocks and stock Marauder mufflers so I got the Turbo XL instead. Longer mufflers are supposed to be quieter than short ones anyway, so I figured this would be even better. Downside is they are a lot more expensive. The Turbo XS and Turbo XL are high end consumer grade, the XS Pro is physically the same as the Turbo XS but it is commercial grade and about 1/2 the price of the Turbos.

With both sets laying on the floor, a couple of things are apparent. The case on the Borla is a lot thicker, they feel and sound solid when you tap on them while the Edelbrocks have a thinner case and it has a kind of echo sound when you tap on it. The Borlas are also heavier due to thicker metal. Both are stainless, but the finish on the Borlas is highly polished while the Edelbrocks are more of a satin finish (I think one is 300 series SS while the other is 400). The inside baffle construction is also different, the Borlas are a straight-thru pipe with perforated lining and metallic packing similar to glasspacks, while the Edelbrocks are hybrid, with perforated lining formed into chambers with ceramic packing between the lining and the case.

Right now, the Borlas are test-fitted with band clamps holding the system together while I wait for some more parts, but initial impression is good. The sound out the exhaust is deeper and more throaty, inside the car is quieter. This is just a test with the car still on the jack stands, but so far I think it has achieved the desired result.

fastblackmerc

Oct 19, 2010
I never ask for sound clips but Id be interested to hear these.
Im gonna need something for the blue marauder this spring when it has a bit more power.

On a side note, I LOVE band clamps.

I'll see what I can do when I finish up.

I like the band clamps myself, it's just that these are not the correct size so they're just kind of sitting there holding things in place without any bolts in them.

Correct parts are on order, though.

When I went to band clamp................ :eek:

FordNut

Oct 13, 2010
Got 'em all connected, gotta take it to the muffler shop for a little welding tomorrow. The hangers need to be welded to the mufflers and everything is stainless so I don't want to have nasty welds. Taking it to a shop that has stainless wire.

Cranked it up with everything connected and sealed, it's eerily quiet.

FordNut

Oct 13, 2010
Kooks 1-5/8 primaries, 2-1/2 collectors. Magnaflow cats. Bassani x-pipe. 2-1/2 stainless pipes from collectors to muffler inlets. Borla mufflers. 2-1/4 OEM tailpipes after mufflers. OEM tips with baffles intact.

Sorry, I don't have any sound clips or videos of the dyno runs.

Funny, so many people say you can't make big power through cats and you gotta have 3" pipes. I guess I blew holes in that theory...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info