• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The G8 gets its first mod!

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I bought Chrisco's old ram-air intake from him last night. Jim and I installed it this afternoon. It really is a nice looking piece. Unfortunately we really didn't get to see if there was any slight SOTP increase since the roads are all wet. In the spring I might get a canned tune from Livernois and take it to the track. Chrisco went from a 14.2 to a 13.1 with this intake and a canned tune. I hope mine can do the same.

CIMG0005.jpg

CIMG0004.jpg

And here is a bonus picture of Jim driving the Mustang to store in his garage for the rest of the winter.

CIMG0007.jpg

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
First of all you must understand the way that GM can detect a tune, and what tools they supply the dealer with. The only thing the Dealerships can detect is a special code embedded within the calibration. Our undetectable tune option retains this special code. Now as far as backing it up, we have the same tools here that the dealers use to "detect" tunes. We have done it here, it works, we have taken car's to dealers to test it, it worked flawlessly. We have done numerous cars with this option, and not one has ever had an issue with the dealer when they checked for tunes.

To guarantee that your warranty won't be voided would be impossible for any tuner, or after market part manufacturer to guarantee. Look at it this way, every dealer is different. I had a dealer years ago that said they wouldn't work on my car because I had a k&n filter in it and that voids your warranty. What did I do? took my car to another dealer and they worked on it, and they now get my business for new cars. On the other hand we have dealers that warranty transmissions in cars that produce over 650 rwhp with boost, heads, cam, headers, and drag radials all installed still when the car was taken in for warranty.

All that GM's "new" warranty policy states is if you are replacing an engine under warranty, you must show a screen shot of this special code and attach it along with your warranty claim. If the code matches, you're golden, if it doesn't, you aren't. But this is where we come in, any normal shop that tunes your car loses this special code when tuning the car because they do not have the correct capability to retain it.

I would definitely prefer you to tune it based on feedback from everyone, but I'm tempted to try Livernois's canned 'stealth' tune. But they don't even 100% guarantee it can't be traced back. I would definitely consider a tune from you in the spring.

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
The legend of a "stealth" tune lives again! :jerkit:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30237&highlight=checksum

There is some good reading to be had.

If the vehicle doesnt have a flash counter in the bcm the ONLY way to get around this an never be caught is a second set of computers but that will not work for the A6 owners. So then the second option is to get flashed back to factory stock with your original unmodified file or with Gm's software. You CANNOT return a file back to stock cause the CVN numbers will never match again. EFIlive has the autocal option but gets pricey to buy the unit then still pay your tuner to do their work but its the closest thing you can get to a switch chip for late model gm's.

Gm will not stop to prove you had a tune. They first have the dealership check the code on the computer, then go as far as having the dealer send the file to them and also have had computers sent back for examination as well.

It wouldnt be too bad but wouldnt be too good either. He is stuck with however they want to setup the tune and there is a ton of settings that can be tweaked for day to day driving that I always ask for feedback from my customers.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I shouldn't be terribly worried since I'm only being tuned for a bolt-on, so I doubt the motor would have any issues. I hear most of the gains are from getting rid of (or lowering) the level of torque management. I would definitely be open to talking to you about doing this in the spring time.

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
All gm v8 automatic vehicles have been the same for years now... basically see 20-30hp from a tune. However, the drive-ability gains and the way the car feels day to day is felt in the transmission settings.

The old school (and still used by most these days) is to turn off TM but the proper way is to tune it down to a safe level that is still saving your transmission yet not slowing you down. It is all in the minor details and how much of a student the tuner has become on the vehicles they work on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info