Anyone do irrigation systems?

03mineralg

Just an FYI. Check your local water rates and see if there is a sewer charge based on the water you use. Out here in Manteno we pay a very high sewer charge for all water used, that includes what goes on the grass. I found that out after our first 450.00 bill. If i knew then what i know now i would not have put it in.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
03mineralg said:
Just an FYI. Check your local water rates and see if there is a sewer charge based on the water you use. Out here in Manteno we pay a very high sewer charge for all water used, that includes what goes on the grass. I found that out after our first 450.00 bill. If i knew then what i know now i would not have put it in.

I know I pay sewer charges even on the water used outside. If I need to water the lawn regardless, I thought an irrigation system was supposed to be more efficient and actually use less water than you normally would when using a hose and sprinkler. :dunno:

Also, since I know I'll be watering a crapload with new sod, I know the irrigation system can save me a ton of time...

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
95trippleblackconv said:
Some villages will put in a 2nd meter for your sprinkler system so you wont be billed for sewer
call and ask them about it

I asked my builder if the village will do that, and they said no... I need to call the village anyway to see if they give any type of discount for new construction watering since they know you've gotta water the sod a crapload....

03mineralg

Most cities blow for giving any kind of breaks. Mine will not install a second meter nor do they give any breaks on watering new lawns. Regardless of a sprinkler or irrigation system it will be pretty expensive to keep a lawn green. I have 5 zones with about 30 heads and i try to water twice a week for 20 mins per zone. You can expect about a 300.00 bill out here. And that is really not watering enough in this heat. Look local for irrigation companies and get a good one. Mapping out head locations and even coverage is critical. If its not done right it will look like crap with uneven greening.

Builder

DSG03COBRA said:
I asked my builder if the village will do that, and they said no... I need to call the village anyway to see if they give any type of discount for new construction watering since they know you've gotta water the sod a crapload....

Ask the village the builder would not want anything to do with that.
Most of them are Ahole's

Most people I know have been paying about 4k to 5k for the system

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
95trippleblackconv said:
Ask the village the builder would not want anything to do with that.
Most of them are Ahole's

Most people I know have been paying about 4k to 5k for the system

I got a quote from a place for $3700, and that was using PVC piping instead of poly... That's for about a 1/4 acre lot and included all the heads, backvalves, valves, installation, etc.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
DSG03COBRA said:
I got a quote from a place for $3700, and that was using PVC piping instead of poly... That's for about a 1/4 acre lot and included all the heads, backvalves, valves, installation, etc.

if you buy the supplies and map out exactly where you want each sprinker it might be cheaper just paying for labor, or hiring a money hungry college kid like me to dig the trenches for the piping.

03mineralg

DSG03COBRA said:
Sounds about right. How many heads? I paid just over 3k for everything and i have just over 1/4 acre. You can base the price on the number of heads, 28 heads, rain sensor,good timer, 5 zones should run you 3k.

03mineralg

DSG03COBRA said:
Just called and it doesn't sound like there is any discount for new home ownership, nor do they allow multiple water meters.... :crying:
Yup, sucks what it costs to keep a house looking nice. They want you to pay all that money in sewer charges for water your not even putting in the sewer. You think the city is going to give up on collecting all that extra cash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• DSG03COBRA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list