Get files off my "dead" harddrive, get money.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
way tooooo many family photos and old memories on a harddrive that will no longer boot up. This harddrive is the ONLY place these photos are saved and it will pretty much royally suck if I lose them.

Long story short, old computer caught a virus. Reformatted the C: and put a fresh copy of windows on it. In the process my storage drive Z: would no longer boot up.

Its weird because the C: which is my main windows drive and D: which is a smaller storage are both old as shit, but still work.

The Z: was only a couple years old, and by far my NEWEST drive.

I tried for many hours, different ways to get it to boot up, put it in a different computer, switched the jumpers... It will show up in DISK MANAGEMENT but it says unallocated or corrupt (forgot which).. I hit FORMAT after many hours of thinking.. Even before it said 1% i cancelled it, thinking there was a miracle way that someone can get it recovered..

So what id like to do is as any of my computer gurus, if you have and secret weapons to pull this off, I will pay you. These pictures mean the world to me.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And for the Record, I took a crack at this as well with basic tools and was unsuccessful (Geeksquads MRI F-mod disk, and 2 different adapters just to be sure).

I never ran anything like DFT to see if it could take a crack at repairing it in fear of damaging the data further.

As already mentioned, this is a higher level recovery that is needed, and as those in the field know, it can be reasonable $, or it can be ridiculous $.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i got some information for you

" Yeah you should be fine, if you wanted to try yourself , in order of mostlikely to work I would use R-studio, GetDataBack NTFS, or Recouva wich is freewa re but very basic, there is also a chance I can fix it manually from the backup boot"

he said gdb ntfs is the easiest, rdrive is more complex. you can rebuild it with a sector scanning hex viewer.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Recouva is surprisingly awesome for freeware. Id take a whack at it but if das already tried I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere. Tinfoil that's awesome that you know someone over there. They're really good but expensive as shit. We sell their services at work and its a grand for a logical fail and 1500 for a physical fail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info