need hardwood floor guy

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Do you know what caused the buckling (water damage,nails pulling out)? If it was water damage you really have to check your subfloor. Also your subfloor should be a min of 3/4 in thick (being an older house it prob is, just have to be sure its still good).

As far as using unfinished flooring, the material is a little cheaper but there is a lot more work involved. You have to lay the floor then sand it smooth, clean it very well and multiple coats of stain/poly. The sander rental and added materials (not to mention labor cost) will bring the cost back up to if not more than prefinished anyhow.

I know you want to keep the same look/color as the rest of the place. You have to figure out what kind of wood your floor is. I also recommend pulling up a board (out of the floor your going to replace) that the color still matches the rest of the house and start hitting the stores to find your match. Even if you go with unfinished your going to have to find the matching stain/poly.

In all honesty I would really recommend going with a 3/4 prefinished hardwood. Its the same as what you want "regular hardwood" just minus the extra work and time. There are so many options as far as color and grain you will find something to match.

I used to rehab houses. If you have any questions let me know.

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
I know you said this is 1930's style "look". Is this house from the 1930's? The only reason I ask is the hardwood that you see may be the subfloor. Back in the days they did not have 4x8 sheets to put down, therefore they used maples, and oak strips naled to the joists as subfloor. The last house I rehabed that was from the 50's was this way, with 5 layers of asbestos vinyl squares on top.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
the place was built in 1936. and its not a house its a 6-flat. every unit was origionally hardwood. this was the 1 unit that was carpeted and vinal floored. id like to bring it all back eventually, but right now the kitchen has priority. the vinal floor was SHOT. the tenant is having a party january 12th(i think). so it needs to be done before that.

after thinking about all the options i think the quickest and easiest would be to do the whole floor. however i have not gotten a professional opinion yet, and i would like to start doining so this comign week.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
I have no problem coming and checking it out and we can talk about what options you have. Only shitty thing is I work six days a week and Sunday's is my only day off. I start work real early so im usually done early afternoon. If you want to talk with riski about when you wanna do this we will work it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info