Need A Welder

eckoxl

Regular
Apr 8, 2009
Geneva, IL
Need a welder to make me some of these, rather something like these.

26593940146_large.jpg

I can supply the flange to the heads, vband clamps and the turbo flange. The only thing I cannot supply is piping. Let me know your offers; not looking to spend a lot.

eckoxl

Regular
Apr 8, 2009
Geneva, IL
Switch to a 3800 and spent $400 for front and rear turbo manifold :dunno:

I mean, I understand being different, but a 3100/3400 doesn't take boost as well as many other motors, some of which can be cheaply placed into your Grand Am.....

I'm not really being different, I'm just keeping the motor that's in my car. I'm not looking to rewire my car, fab up mounts for both engine and transmission and everything else involved. And the fact that it will pretty much be a boat anchor in my car.

And as for the 3400 taking boost, it takes it fine, you just have to have the bottom end highly built up, which I do.

Unless you have the headers to make a jig and make them exact I would say buy them from where ever you got hte pic from.....

I didn't mean these exactly, something like these.

Not trying to be a dick, but if you can't help me out, please don't post.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Dont mod your grand am. Make it look nice, put a cat back and an intake on it and be done. I spent a bunch of money on stupid shit when I had one, completely not worth it. There is working with what you have, and then there is being plain dumb. Save the money toward a down payment on another car, paying off the current one, or paying off some bills. seriously.

eckoxl

Regular
Apr 8, 2009
Geneva, IL
That would have been interesting to see.

Wait a minuuuuute. Ecko, are you a cadet at WCC?

Nope, just a student.

Dont mod your grand am. Make it look nice, put a cat back and an intake on it and be done. I spent a bunch of money on stupid shit when I had one, completely not worth it. There is working with what you have, and then there is being plain dumb. Save the money toward a down payment on another car, paying off the current one, or paying off some bills. seriously.

Well to me its worth it; don't care what any of you have to say about it. I already have a new engine, new rebuilt & upgraded transmission, garrett turbo, cam and misc other stuff.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Hey, not to burst yur bubble; making custom headers is not a walk in the park.

It's not just a matter of welding some tubes to a flange, it's MUCH more complicated than that. It HAS to be done on a jig. Or it has to be mocked up on an engine on a stand. $1600 for a custom set of headers is actually a bargain.

I can make custom headers myself, but would I? probably not. By the time materials and time come into play, then the cost of coating, and machining the flanges flat...the price goes up. Yes, for a shop that already makes headers it's NBD, but they are equipped to deal with the issues that arise when making headers.

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
I could make something like that for you.

Will it be cheaper, maybe. After you purchase the material for me to weld up there will be a lot of time spend finding the angles and detentions of something that will fit. I charge my hourly wage from work and that really isn't that cheap. By the time that you are done with material and paying me for time you would have it better to purchase aftermarket that will fit to your car.

Here is a shitty pic but it is a how some of my stainless welds look.

weld1.jpg

If you decide to peruse this aspect send me a pm and we can see what we can work out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info