Any TCG Members in the Local 150?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm going to be starting the process of getting into the Local 150 Operators Union. I've always enjoyed running heavy machinery (at least what I've been able to use so far) and think I would be a great fit for the job. I'm going to be submitting my Resume soon with hope of getting my permit somewhat soon after. Any Local 150 here? Any tips or advice for someone looking to get in? Anyone want to be my sponsor? ;)

Thanks for the help guys!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Buddy tried years ago. They ran him through all the machines a couple weeks of training and never did anything else. Do you know somebody already in?

A good friend of mine is in the Laborers Union, works for Meade. He's one of the best guys there and is close with a few Operators, so he's going to talk with them. Was just looking for any other advice from someone that my be in.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
tough gig to get into for sure. crane operators are the ones who make the $$$$

Yeah, they make great money. I'd be more than happy running a skid loader or excavator to be quite honest. It's a good, steady job. I will show up every day and do the best I can with whatever they put me in, however.

I'm also studying for my CDL, hopefully that will help a lot.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
2 of my brother in laws are 150 operators and my neighbor just retired from the 150 last fall, my wife was trying to get in went to the training sight for a month or two for qualified on a bunch of stuff and never got a call back, I can probably put you in touch with my brother law, they make killer money when they work normally 6ish months a year, I would recommend to look into being a process operator at a refinery or chemical plant of money is one of your big deciding factors, slightly less money an hour but bigger gross yearly and easier to get into, the same or better benefits

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah, they make great money. I'd be more than happy running a skid loader or excavator to be quite honest. It's a good, steady job. I will show up every day and do the best I can with whatever they put me in, however.

I'm also studying for my CDL, hopefully that will help a lot.

I was just going to say it deff. will. Lots of places run those smaller, mobile cranes that take a CDL to drive.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
2 of my brother in laws are 150 operators and my neighbor just retired from the 150 last fall, my wife was trying to get in went to the training sight for a month or two for qualified on a bunch of stuff and never got a call back, I can probably put you in touch with my brother law, they make killer money when they work normally 6ish months a year, I would recommend to look into being a process operator at a refinery or chemical plant of money is one of your big deciding factors, slightly less money an hour but bigger gross yearly and easier to get into, the same or better benefits

I'm open to suggestions for sure. I'll do some looking at process operator jobs/ union as well.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'm open to suggestions for sure. I'll do some looking at process operator jobs/ union as well.

I just got Donnie to apply to a joint down by me and it sounded like he rocked the test the other day, lyondell is right next to the plant I work at and starting pay is around 30 bucks an hour, my wife worked at Exxon Mobil within 6 months she was at 33 an hour, you work shift at those jobs so night shift 7 times a month and day shift 7 times a month and 15-16 days a month off

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just got Donnie to apply to a joint down by me and it sounded like he rocked the test the other day, lyondell is right next to the plant I work at and starting pay is around 30 bucks an hour, my wife worked at Exxon Mobil within 6 months she was at 33 an hour, you work shift at those jobs so night shift 7 times a month and day shift 7 times a month and 15-16 days a month off

What do the tests entail? Any links to the requirements or prerequisites?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
waiting for Tim to come in and bad mouth unions because he personally had a bad experience.....

in other news, good luck man. Solid gig for sure. Id keep my options a little more open personally, find something with a bit more variety

I'm keeping them open 100%, I suppose the thread title should've read "recommend a career for a 23 year old with mechanical and electrical/ rigging (live event) experience." Lol.

Everyone has their own experience with jobs. I know plenty of Union guys that love their jobs.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
What do the tests entail? Any links to the requirements or prerequisites?

The test is general math, mechanical aptitude, and problem solving type stuff it's like a 3-4 hour long deal, requirements for most entry level positions are just high school, it's not super easy to get into but probably easier than the 150 I'll send you some links when I get back on my computer

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Ok good i know some people who think lift trucks are heavy equipment:rollpicard: I can keep my ear open what would u say u are the most comfortable in?

LOL, no. Anyone can do that, I've used lift trucks before with zero training, that's easy stuff. I ran a skid loader years ago doing snow removal. Other than that, I have no experience. Put me in a machine and walk away. Come back at the end of the day and I'll be able to run it.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I'm keeping them open 100%, I suppose the thread title should've read "recommend a career for a 23 year old with mechanical and electrical/ rigging (live event) experience." Lol.

Everyone has their own experience with jobs. I know plenty of Union guys that love their jobs.

I'll be the first to recommend HVAC. I spent a year in trade school going at night, a career going at 19. It's a great skill set to have as you need to know a bit of everything. Side work is extremely easy to come by and I know you love that. Many different directions you can take your career as well in this field.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info