Are there any fabricators on here that can do some cutting and welding ???

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm starting to look into doing my next aquarium project and am looking at doing a steel stand for it and wanted to see if anyone on here did any fabrication work before I bust out the yellow pages.... Just trying to get an idea on how much something like this picture would run to build:

2011-10-06163256.jpg
+

This is more of a rectangular build (obviously) and mine is going to be a 30" x 30" x 24'ish" (I gotta see what I can fit through my doorway) but this should be a general idea.....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Yeah, I'm definitely serious, just trying to see how much it would be to do this instead of my usual route with a ton of lumber that takes up a ton of space....

I would've welded it myself a few years back when I welded more frequently, but I haven't done it in a few years and no longer have access to a welder....

The actual dimensions would be 30.5" x 30.5" x 32" in height. My door was wider than I thought. LOL

I would also need some plate to make gussets for the corners as well so it would end up like this but more of a cube:

1002206.jpg

1002211z.jpg

As far as materials, I'm thinking of going with mild steel 2" square tubing, .125 wall thickness. Based on the dimensions needed, I'm thinking I would need right around 30 feet of 2" tubing to pull it off. Then on top of that a bunch of maybe 4" gussets which I'm guessing should be .125 as well ???

Is that something that a place can cut to specification (for a fee obviously) or is that kind of stuff just up to the buyer?

Let me know what you think even if it's just a rough guess so I can try to price this damn reef build out some more....

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
Lots of people out there will say that they can weld... Where are you located? I could probably turn something like this out in a few hours in my garage. I weld for a living, exotic metals and to high standard on pipe. My shit gets xrayed and multiple test to even pass. I have a steel place a few miles from me. I'd charge my regular hourly rate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info