Any union openings?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

I was going to suggest becoming a civilian contractor overseas in the Middle East. My father is over there making well of $100K per year and if you stay out of the country over 300 days or somewhere in that ballpark, the first $100K is untaxed.

He has been a union electrician for 40 years, but since the construction market tanked he was forced to find work over there. He works on a US military base in Afghanistan.

I was going to suggest becoming a civilian contractor overseas in the Middle East. My father is over there making well of $100K per year and if you stay out of the country over 300 days or somewhere in that ballpark, the first $100K is untaxed.

He has been a union electrician for 40 years, but since the construction market tanked he was forced to find work over there. He works on a US military base in Afghanistan.

that is very nice money but i couldnt leave the family for that long. Thanks for the input tho

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich

Makes me think of the movie The Kingdom. Do not want

I know this thread is old but try local 399 if your still looking. The economy has effected all trades but from what I hear Stationary engineers the least.

ya i was looking into them but there isnt any info on the apprenticeship on their website and when i called i was pretty much told i have to find someone I know who works there and talk to them. Can you or anyone shine a little more light on this or tell me what to do.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
IUOE Local 150 was taking applications for their program. Check their website or their apprenticeship website.

ASIP: Local 150

Waste Management was hiring drivers (union) but I don't know their salary. I know a couple of stationary engineers in Local 399 and you normally have to go through some sort of training or at least pass the state/local test for certification (unless you get sponsored) for a job. Have you considered getting your CDL to be a local truck driver. What about being a police officer?

RenoReno2

Regular
Nov 24, 2011
I use to apply to those all the time never ever got a call back and I use to build the motors, turbos, and assemble and wire high voltage cabinets at EMD for 10 years. Not that would make me qualified for it but I figure being comfortable around locomotives would at least warrant a call back even for a mechanic style position.

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
He said you have to find someone to sponsor you is pretty much the only way in. He said 150 was the same way as well, and that he thought they were hiring. There was an ad in the paper not to long ago

I think your talking about getting your Stationary Engineers Licence for Cook County. You need to have a former or current employers licensed Chief Engineer sponsor you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info