Looking for work in Northern Chicagoland.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
As topic titles says. I've been out of work since December and have been filling out application after application after application almost everywhere I Go. I've been called in for interviews and follow up after, and also after I drop off/fill out apps. I haven't found anything yet and I've probably had 35+ interviews. I'm calm/collected/answer everything spot on in the interviews, so I don't know what's going on with that.

I NEED a job. I have about 1/5 of the savings I had built up in December left over, it's dwindling low and I'm fucked if I don't land something soon.

If anyone knows of anyone hiring for anything "unskilled" I guess you could say, let me know. Hate to look here but I need SOMETHING.

I have car detailing/food industry/light carpentry experience and nothing more. I'm open to jobs that give training for whatever it may be.

Please/thanks.

I'm about to fall on hard times. I hate to ask here but I don't want to be back at rock bottom. Been there before and it sucks.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
If you want to commute to Schaumburg every day, IKEA is hiring..... You can always try the local grocery or hardware store. Most retail will hire with little or no experience for the entry level jobs.

I've tried all the local stuff with no luck. What positions are you guys hiring for? I wouldn't mind working there tbh. I love the store anyways

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I worked for Starbucks for 9 years and its an awesome place to work for. Starting is about $8.50 an hour last time I checked plus about another dollar or two an hour depending on how busy your store is. You also only have to work 20 hours per week to get health/dental/vision insurance, stock options.
Fill out an application, make copies and turn them into your local stores. If you call, you have a good chance of getting hired. I would do it soon though, before all the college kids come home.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I've tried all the local stuff with no luck. What positions are you guys hiring for? I wouldn't mind working there tbh. I love the store anyways

Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA..... Tons of positions are open. LMK if you apply at the other store too, I got hook ups.

P.S. if your lucky you may even get to work for me.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
How hard is it to remember everything you gotta make though? :s00ls:

Not that bad. Every different drink gets the same amount of syrup depending on size.
Only thing you have to remember is all the customization.
For example
Venti
Xtra hot
No foam
vanilla Latte
with 2 sugars.

I could never deal with "Starbucks People". Would probably shove a venti latte up someone's ass in the first week.
Yeah lots of stuck up people, but then again you meet some pretty cool regulars as well. After a while I pretty much knew every persons name, drink they drank and car they drove.

You would have to definately not say "needle dick" or anything of that sorts. I worked a construction job with all guys 5 days per week talking with some pretty foul language and then I had to be good on the weekends when I worked 2 days there.
But like I said, as long as you can be good and can remember the drinks it's a great place to work.

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
We are hiring an "On call" guy for Security at the Westin in Wheeling I work at. Pretty much work when I or another guy need a few days off lol. Its easy as hell, dont really do anything the whole shift. :bigthumb: Plus I think they are hiring for "houseman" they basically set up the banquets, the AM crew always get 40 hrs the PM crew usually get 30-40 hrs depending on how busy it is.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
We are hiring an "On call" guy for Security at the Westin in Wheeling I work at. Pretty much work when I or another guy need a few days off lol. Its easy as hell, dont really do anything the whole shift. :bigthumb: Plus I think they are hiring for "houseman" they basically set up the banquets, the AM crew always get 40 hrs the PM crew usually get 30-40 hrs depending on how busy it is.

Where do I go to apply?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes

Everything is online, goto starwoodjobs.com

Security work in IL requires a Permanent Employee Registration Card, which requires a 20 hour training class, State Police Background check, and about $150-200 to aquire. It takes several weeks for everything to clear. This is for unarmed. Armed is even more involved. If you DO get your PERC card security jobs are a dime a dozen and the industry is booming right now and just about every security company is hiring.

And before the shit talking starts there are private security jobs out there making $50k+ a year

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
(225 ILCS 447/40-10)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2014)
Sec. 40-10. Disciplinary sanctions.
(a) The Department may deny issuance, refuse to renew, or restore or may reprimand, place on probation, suspend, revoke, or take other disciplinary or non-disciplinary action against any license, registration, permanent employee registration card, canine handler authorization card, canine trainer authorization card, or firearm control card, and may impose a fine not to exceed $10,000 for each violation for any of the following: (1) Fraud or deception in obtaining or renewing of a
license or registration.
(2) Professional incompetence as manifested by poor
standards of service.
(3) Engaging in dishonorable, unethical, or
unprofessional conduct of a character likely to deceive, defraud, or harm the public.
(4) Conviction of or entry of a plea of guilty or
nolo contendere or an admission of guilt in Illinois, another state, or other jurisdiction of any crime that is a felony under the laws of Illinois; a felony in a federal court; a misdemeanor, an essential element of which is dishonesty; or directly related to professional practice.
(5) Performing any services in a grossly negligent
manner or permitting any of a licensee's employees to perform services in a grossly negligent manner, regardless of whether actual damage to the public is established.
(6) Continued practice, although the person has
become unfit to practice due to any of the following:
(A) Physical illness, mental illness, or other
impairment, including, but not limited to, deterioration through the aging process or loss of motor skills that results in the inability to serve the public with reasonable judgment, skill, or safety.
(B) Mental disability demonstrated by the entry
of an order or judgment by a court that a person is in need of mental treatment or is incompetent.
(C) Addiction to or dependency on alcohol or
drugs that is likely to endanger the public. If the Department has reasonable cause to believe that a person is addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs that may endanger the public, the Department may require the person to undergo an examination to determine the extent of the addiction or dependency.
(7) Receiving, directly or indirectly, compensation
for any services not rendered.
(8) Willfully deceiving or defrauding the public on a
material matter.
(9) Failing to account for or remit any moneys or
documents coming into the licensee's possession that belong to another person or entity.
(10) Discipline by another United States jurisdiction
or foreign nation, if at least one of the grounds for the discipline is the same or substantially equivalent to those set forth in this Act.
(11) Giving differential treatment to a person that
is to that person's detriment because of race, color, creed, sex, religion, or national origin.
(12) Engaging in false or misleading advertising.
(13) Aiding, assisting, or willingly permitting
another person to violate this Act or rules promulgated under it.
(14) Performing and charging for services without
authorization to do so from the person or entity serviced.
(15) Directly or indirectly offering or accepting any
benefit to or from any employee, agent, or fiduciary without the consent of the latter's employer or principal with intent to or the understanding that this action will influence his or her conduct in relation to his or her employer's or principal's affairs.
(16) Violation of any disciplinary order imposed on a
licensee by the Department.
(17) Performing any act or practice that is a
violation of this Act or the rules for the administration of this Act, or having a conviction or administrative finding of guilty as a result of violating any federal or State laws, rules, or regulations that apply exclusively to the practices of private detectives, private alarm contractors, private security contractors, fingerprint vendors, or locksmiths.

(18) Conducting an agency without a valid license.

(19) Revealing confidential information, except as
required by law, including but not limited to information available under Section 2-123 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
(20) Failing to make available to the Department,
upon request, any books, records, or forms required by this Act.
(21) Failing, within 30 days, to respond to a written
request for information from the Department.
(22) Failing to provide employment information or
experience information required by the Department regarding an applicant for licensure.
(23) Failing to make available to the Department at
the time of the request any indicia of licensure or registration issued under this Act.
(24) Purporting to be a licensee-in-charge of an
agency without active participation in the agency.
(25) A finding by the Department that the licensee,
after having his or her license placed on probationary status, has violated the terms of probation.
(26) Violating subsection (f) of Section 30-30.
(b) The Department shall seek to be consistent in the application of disciplinary sanctions.
(c) The Department shall adopt rules that set forth standards of service for the following: (i) acceptable error rate in the transmission of fingerprint images and other data to the Department of State Police; (ii) acceptable error rate in the collection and documentation of information used to generate fingerprint work orders; and (iii) any other standard of service that affects fingerprinting services as determined by the Department.
(Source: P.A. 95-613, eff. 9-11-07; 96-1445, eff. 8-20-10.)

(225 ILCS 447/40-15)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2014)
Sec. 40-15. Suspension or revocation of permanent employee registration card. Individuals registered as employees pursuant to the provisions of Section 35-30 of this Act shall be subject to the disciplinary sanctions of this Act and shall otherwise comply with this Act and the rules promulgated under it. Notwithstanding any other provision in this Act to the contrary, registered employees of an agency shall not be responsible for compliance with any requirement that this Act assigns to the agency or the licensee-in-charge regardless of the employee's job title, job duties, or position in the agency. The procedures for disciplining a licensee shall also apply in taking action against a registered employee.
(Source: P.A. 93-438, eff. 8-5-03.)

225*ILCS*447/**Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004.

The "security guards" and who ever hired them can be smashed with up to a $10,000 fine by the IDFPR if they get caught. Best of luck to you.

Job Description: Be a key player in an exciting role where you will help to ensure the safety & security of guests, visitors, and your fellow talent, as well as being responsible for the safeguarding of hotel property and assets.

Duties will include, but are not limited to, patrolling the hotel, initiating and monitoring investigations, writing incident and accident reports and assisting sick and injured talent members and guests. This is a great role for a person who wants to touch multiple aspects of the hotel and be an important part of an exciting operation.

Taken from the "help wanted" add on the link you posted.... They are definitely asking for trouble with that one... Requirements state nothing on 20 hour training or PERC card...

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I'd work the hell out of Ikea. That place is like an amusement park of hot ass, cheap food and even cheaper furniture. Sign me up!

It really isn't that great.... I had about 5-6 years in there.

Any and all hot ass is negated by the total utter morons that you deal with. Working for Dave would be pretty great, just realize this is the time of year you don't want to set foot in IKEA if you don't have to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info