• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trivia Question of the Day... Rebuilt GTO

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I am bored at work and perusing CL. What would you pay for this?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2756535819.html

5T15W35X33n53F73p3bcg38a4d9b09d161e4c.jpg

- 2006 Pontiac GTO Spice Red, fully loaded with all options available for this year.
- 49,100 miles
- 6 speed manual transmission
- Just passed emissions and no check engine lights!
- It is my daily driver and it has some modifications such as Monster Stage 3 clutch( installed 5k miles ago) Upgraded heat resistant clutch lines. Ported throttle body and intake manifold Long tube headers with mid pipes. Vararam Intake Custom Interior Lighting( red not stock green) HP tuners tune BMR bags to stiffen rear suspension. Custom installed iPod jack in stock radio.

- The car is well maintained with only Mobil 1 synthetic changed every 3k miles and I recently changed the transmission fluid with Mobil 1 ATF synthetic. New spark plugs at 45k. - Interior is very clean and it is a non-smoker car. - The bad, the car was involved in a minor front end collision and due to the price of parts it was branded REBUILT. I purchased it in this state and had it professionally repaired at a reputable shop. I have the photos of the damage. There was NO airbag deployment and it still has original fenders. All parts installed were original GM parts, nothing aftermarket. - You can contact me at 773-297-5058, thank you. Not looking for trades just purchased a new car and have no need for another just want to sell this.
Let's assume that the work was done properly. Because yeah I know that will make or break it. I am just curious as to how a rebuilt affects pricing. What would this be worth with a regular title?

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Even still it's not like the car was totaled and he went to rebuild it.
I don't know what "minor damage" is but I can't imagine it a lot if the bags didn't go off.
Parts for these cars are hard to come by. If you go new on replacement parts/panels that are GTO only, you are going to pay out the ass. When I had mine hit, they found replacement parts from a totaled one just to keep the cost down. If we went with new Holden panels, it would have been weeks on end to get them and almost 3x the cost to fix.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
air bags go off quite a bit less than you would think at least from what i have seen.

we have a lexus gx460 here right now, that got blasted- side swipe t bone by a box truck, not a single air bag went off... has side seat aribags- side curtain airbags, airbags fucking everywhere, not a single one came off, and this thing was hit so hard that the majority of the b pillar is getting replaced along with the rocker- the hit crumpled the floor of this massive body on frame constructed vehicle...

bags go off in weird situations. and don't in weird ones as well.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I will agree, NO AIRBAD doesn't always equal a win!!!1
If there are pictures and documentation for what was wrong along with that was done then it's a better situation when selling the car with a rebuilt title.

It doesn't guarantee that the damage repaired was the reason for why the car was totaled out.

What if the car was totaled out previously, repaired, purchased, and then had minor front end damage and was repaired again. It's original accident would be just about completely masked by the more recent one. Just playing devils advocate here since I'm sure that would be a very rare case, but the second a car is branded I'd personally steer clear.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Frame damage is never the same since the metal has been fatigued, and you may never know if a car was properly repaired until it's too late with a salvage title car.

but it can be repaired properly without doubt.... don't say it is never the same

additionally... if the end of a frame gets damaged... or replaced (which some bolt or weld on bumper brackets getting replaced can be considered frame damage...) its really not that big of a deal to me.... especially if the repair was performed properly...

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
but it can be repaired properly without doubt.... don't say it is never the same

additionally... if the end of a frame gets damaged... or replaced (which some bolt or weld on bumper brackets getting replaced can be considered frame damage...) its really not that big of a deal to me.... especially if the repair was performed properly...

:werd: And if there was frame damage and it DIDN'T set off an air bag... well, thats fucked up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info