• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Things to know with LS based motors?

Been doing a lot of surfing on the LS/G8/Corvette forums and trying to learn more on the capabilities and limitations of these motors. I know around the 550-600 rwhp mark I really need to start thinking about the internals of the motors so is there anything else I need to know? I am going to pick Joseph Potak's book on building and modifying LS based engines so are there any other good references/ publications I need to be reading with this? Plans are for ARH headers and the livernois Stage 1c cam (218/229, .600/.600 on a 117.5 LSA) along with valvetrain upgrades. TIA for all tips and suggestions with this.

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
On the newer LS motor like what is in your G8 550-600whp you would need to be more worried about the transmission than the motor. The stock bottom end is good to at least 700whp more so if done with a blower or turbo.

The book you want to purchase is great for reference. It will give you the basics without reading page after page of opinions off the internet.

If your planning a cam for your G8 dont forget the intake to go with those headers. Also, the cam swap is not as straight forward since you need to remove the heads and do a AFM delete so its added cost to the typical cam package in any other LS based car.

Right now, I would like to get over 400whp and I know I can do that with a good cam and LT's (no cats) along with everything else that is on the car. I need to run a scan on the car and see what is going on because it is only putting 315 to the wheels with an intake, tune, and high flow cats but I still think there is a little bit more left in it. Thoughts?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Right now, I would like to get over 400whp and I know I can do that with a good cam and LT's (no cats) along with everything else that is on the car. I need to run a scan on the car and see what is going on because it is only putting 315 to the wheels with an intake, tune, and high flow cats but I still think there is a little bit more left in it. Thoughts?

Yeah, that sounds a little low, but it could just be dyno variance.

I have an intake and a tune on mine and it did 338/356.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info