• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cam vs Heads/Cam

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
So i'm becoming intrested in these mods since I'm at full bolt ons, suspension, stall and gears. The big question is it worth it for the heads. The motors apart anyway, might as well right?

Goals are just to add a little more go, I drag race it but it's primarily a street car that I drive every day rain and shine. I put about 10k a year on it.

Are gains from heads really that noticable? Am I wasting time w just cam only? I'd just see what all your opinions are on it. Since it looks like 9/10 f-bodies on this site here have something like this anyway.

on stock trans and rear btw. not looking to change those until they break either.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
well the cam is still to be decieded. I'm not sure which will work best with the stall and whatever other parts I decide to get. I'm just wondering if its really worth the extra money for the heads and will it be too much for what i'm going for as a daily driver if they change anything at all. and if 243s, to get them ported or not. seems to me like 243's add about 20 wheel and porting them is another 20 wheel. just what i read on ls1tech anyway..

98blueSScamaro

well the cam is still to be decieded. I'm not sure which will work best with the stall and whatever other parts I decide to get. I'm just wondering if its really worth the extra money for the heads and will it be too much for what i'm going for as a daily driver if they change anything at all. and if 243s, to get them ported or not. seems to me like 243's add about 20 wheel and porting them is another 20 wheel. just what i read on ls1tech anyway..

you read into things to much... Stock 243 heads and a little milling no porting net 400 plus all day long. even with a nice baby cam. if it was me i would spend the extra 400 on the heads.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
you read into things to much... Stock 243 heads and a little milling no porting net 400 plus all day long. even with a nice baby cam. if it was me i would spend the extra 400 on the heads.

+1 my old setup was some CNCed 243s with a small cam and it put down a little over 400 to the wheels and you could barley tell it was cammed. if you decide not to do heads your going to want to get springs/retainers and push rods anyway so spend a bit more and get a good amount of HP

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

98blueSScamaro

unported 243's and the right cam. I have done 2 stock headed 243 setups with big cams. one a trex the other a vindicator. that trex car made 445rwhp with a nine and strange drive shaft, the vindicator made 428 rwhp on a mustand dyno with a ford nine rear as well. but you will not need that much cam at all to crack 400

Larry@AMS

Regular
Jun 20, 2011
I don't feel cam only packages are a waste at all and it really comes down to your budget for the build. I think with a budget minded build adding some stock 243's or milled 243's to the mix is a great upgrade with a cam pkg.

depending on cam choices and bolt-ons an auto car will make 380+ rwhp

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
unported 243's and the right cam. I have done 2 stock headed 243 setups with big cams. one a trex the other a vindicator. that trex car made 445rwhp with a nine and strange drive shaft, the vindicator made 428 rwhp on a mustand dyno with a ford nine rear as well. but you will not need that much cam at all to crack 400

what intake manifold? and was that a 6 speed car?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
after some thought looks like ported heads is worth the $

Anyone have some input on DDing with that setup? How long did you push the stock trans, driving it in rain and snow, things like that. I really like how DD-able my car is right now, like I said i put about 10k a year on. does h/c cross that line between fun/summer/track car and DD?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info