• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

auto trans experts. help

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
auto trans experts. help(nevermind) New video though!

bolt-ons, 3.42s, yank ss3600, nitto DRs, basic tune by speed inc.

took the car racing last night. It would bounce the limiter once doing 1-2 shift then bounce 7-8 times doing the 2-3, it pretty much wouldnt shift until I let off. Ran it 4 times, it did the same thing each time, in D, OD, didn't matter.

Drove it home, popped in and out of lock-up a few times but otherwise was fine. even did a WOT pull on the hwy at about 55-60mph which would make it downshift into 2nd and shift into 3rd and it shifted perfectly.

What would make it not work at the track like that? Last time I went to the track 2 months ago it bouced off the limiter on the 2-3 once then shifted. the next run it shifted the 2-3 just fine.

The only thing that has changed since then was a tranny cooler that I replaced after I ran into a cone, so fluid was replaced too.

Any guesses?

Last edited:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
tire diameter?

what were the specs on the kumhos? XXX/yy/17

what are the specs on the nittos? 275/yy/17?

what he is trying to get at is that if the tire diameter changed drastically then your shift points might be out of whack.

from what you are telling me thats kinda hard to say.

do you have a friend with a GOOD scanner that can monitor trans activity? IE lockup/nonlockup, commanded gear, actual gear, trans state etc?

your car shouldn't pop in and out of lockup unless

1) you hit the brake
2) you hit the release TCC minimum speed

you aren't spinning or anything are you?

did Speed INC remove all the torque management stuff?
did they change shift points?
did they change the line pressure reduction during upshift tables?

are you sure you aren't just spinning?

if you can get a scanner you can check for TC slippage, demanded shift times, actual shift times etc etc

got a buddy with HPT or EFIlive? i know in EFIlive you can monitor trans states which lets you see every aspect of PCM controlled trans operation. i'm sure HPT does as well.

where are you located?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
both tires are 275/40/17

I dont think i'm spinning, I was doing 1.7 60's(flashing launch) w no noticable spin, so if it hooks there i'd imagine it would when im doin 60-70.

Speedinc's basic tune is supposed to turn of tq management. I brought it in to have the lock up issue looked at and to have the shift points changed. maybe they didnt do it enough? It was winter so they didnt really test it. They also installed the 3.42s and the TC, so I would hope they tuned it right then also.

Im pretty positive im not spinning. I did the same technique that I did last time and had no issues. The only things that changed from then and now was the track byron vs gld, the tranny cooler(and possible the fluid levels since a ton spilled out when I broke it, although the shop told me they filled it up to spec) the DA which was 1000 less, and tire pressure was maybe 1-2 psi different. my fuel levels were at empty this time as opposed to a half a tank. Other than that I cant think of what else was different.

I do have a friend w HPT

Im in Mount prospect IL

Larry@AMS

Regular
Jun 20, 2011
have you verified the trans fluid is full?

D and 3 will have different shift points under WOT, so when racing at the track did you have it in a different gear then on the hwy pull?

I would also get it back to Jim @ Speed if it was not driven due to winter road conditions since I'm sure the shift points could be tweaked a bit more. I would bring it on drag radials too since the better the traction the better the log will be allowing him to accurately set shift points.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
have you verified the trans fluid is full?

D and 3 will have different shift points under WOT, so when racing at the track did you have it in a different gear then on the hwy pull?

I would also get it back to Jim @ Speed if it was not driven due to winter road conditions since I'm sure the shift points could be tweaked a bit more. I would bring it on drag radials too since the better the traction the better the log will be allowing him to accurately set shift points.

+1

def check trans fluid levels.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I tried both runs at the track in D and OD and it didnt shift in either.

I might as well try to get it tuned again, I'll also see if the fluid levels need to be topped off. Somethings gotta change either way.

The hwy pull was in OD. I did it twice and it worked twice. Driving it around town it shifts just fine, nothing feels like its slipping or not going into gear at all.

Larry@AMS

Regular
Jun 20, 2011
well check the fluid level and check the condition of the fluid to make sure it's not contaminated or burnt

The only other issue is the trans could be going south and with the heat of the burn out and lack of air flow to the cooler during it could show issues.

The best thing you can do is once the fluid is checked get a hold of Speed Inc. to get it scanned and possibly tweaked.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I'm just not convinced its the trans yet. It doesn't feel like anything is wrong on the hwy or around town. Makes all the shifts, Lockup, and even made the 2-3 on the highway shortly after leaving the track. The fluid looked clean too. It was a little low though. I'm not sinking money into it until I know for a fact the trans is going to break.

I've never experience a failing trans before. Will it drive around town fine if it is going bad? like, will only WOT gear shifts be the only way to determine this?

I think its worth plugging in the HPT and doing a few passes(with the correct fluid level this time) and seeing what we can before I assume I need to spend more money.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I'm just not convinced its the trans yet. It doesn't feel like anything is wrong on the hwy or around town. Makes all the shifts, Lockup, and even made the 2-3 on the highway shortly after leaving the track. The fluid looked clean too. It was a little low though. I'm not sinking money into it until I know for a fact the trans is going to break.

I've never experience a failing trans before. Will it drive around town fine if it is going bad? like, will only WOT gear shifts be the only way to determine this?

I think its worth plugging in the HPT and doing a few passes(with the correct fluid level this time) and seeing what we can before I assume I need to spend more money.

firing the parts cannon is the worst way to diagnose. it may just be me, but i'd rather know something is fucked 100% before i replace it...i don't like replacing things on a whim. theres a proper test for every component in the car.

monitor all the trans pids in HPT :) it'll let you know whats going on! look at commanded shift times vs actual shift times and note the difference.
make sure the gear commanded is the actual gear its in (ie: make sure the pcm doesn't think its in 3rd but its actually only in 2nd)

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Put a little under an extra quart in last week. So far, it hasn't missed a beat driving it normally. I did a few 60 pulls(downshifts into 2nd and shifts into 3rd) with no problems. I even did a 15 mph pull (2-1-2-3) and it made all the shifts as well. I've still yet to test from a dig or get HPT hooked up yet but so far im optimistic.

The question is, lets say the everything was fine mechanically and electronically, would being a quart low on fluid prevent it from shifting under hard acceleration? Would G forces have anything to do with it?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Update: Since the Cone incident, a few weeks ago the tranny cooler hose under the trans cooler unit fell off while I was driving and spilled a good amount of ATF all over the highway and my car.(I guess I lost about 6 quarts) I don't want to blame the shop that put it on because its possible something could of hit it during that time, it was most likely the shops fault lol. Anyway...

Took the car to Byron yesturday. I checked the fluid levels before we left, they seemed ok so I drove up to byron. On the way there I did a a pull on the highway to see if it would shift and sure enough it did. I figured the levels were correct this time.

Ran the car, car bounced 1st once then wouldnt go into 3rd. runs a 13.4 at 88mph as I shut down.

We added about 1/4 of a quart of fluid and ran it again, Bounces off 1st once and then bounces off 2nd once, but goes into 3rd. Runs a 12.5 at 108.

Added another 1/4 of a quart and ran it. Makes all shifts, runs 12.4 @ 109.

last two runs hits 12.4 then 12.3 @ 109.8 without missing a beat.

So if your trans is even a 1/2 quart low it will miss shifts.

On another note, I noticed no difference in 60' times from stalling it up to 2k or just flashing it off the line. My best run of the night came from simply mashing the pedal to the floor.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Update: Since the Cone incident, a few weeks ago the tranny cooler hose under the trans cooler unit fell off while I was driving and spilled a good amount of ATF all over the highway and my car.(I guess I lost about 6 quarts) I don't want to blame the shop that put it on because its possible something could of hit it during that time, it was most likely the shops fault lol. Anyway...

Took the car to Byron yesturday. I checked the fluid levels before we left, they seemed ok so I drove up to byron. On the way there I did a a pull on the highway to see if it would shift and sure enough it did. I figured the levels were correct this time.

Ran the car, car bounced 1st once then wouldnt go into 3rd. runs a 13.4 at 88mph as I shut down.

We added about 1/4 of a quart of fluid and ran it again, Bounces off 1st once and then bounces off 2nd once, but goes into 3rd. Runs a 12.5 at 108.

Added another 1/4 of a quart and ran it. Makes all shifts, runs 12.4 @ 109.

last two runs hits 12.4 then 12.3 @ 109.8 without missing a beat.

So if your trans is even a 1/2 quart low it will miss shifts.

On another note, I noticed no difference in 60' times from stalling it up to 2k or just flashing it off the line. My best run of the night came from simply mashing the pedal to the floor.
yes these yank stalls like to just be flashed lol

transmaxed

TCG Elite Member
Jun 23, 2008
Palatine
Real Name
Matt
The car was solid out of the hole, I got some of the runs on my phone but with no zoom its kind of fail. He did rip on a turbo viper off the line, but couldn't hang on. That car effertlessly pulls low 1.7 60s every single time. Not bad for nittos and a few bolt ons! Good job... cant wait to race vs you next year!

Last edited:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info