• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Fuel pump install

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Yeah, first tip is to run the tank as low as possible if you are dropping it from the bottom. I've done the racetronix hotwire kit for my dual walbro pump setup. If you have questions just ask, but otherwise all the info is pretty much there in the instructions you get.

Oh, and I hooked up my racetronix hotwire kit to my alternator as that is what Lonnie recommended since my battery was relocated. Can't remember the exact reason, but it had to do with the alternator being a better source since my battery was relocated. That was my setup though so yours might be different.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
We did it out of the bottom, but yeah the access panel is pretty nice too. We have a lift so if that wasn't the case then we would have probably went with the access panel. Taking the tank out isn't all that bad really, but the access panel is just that much easier if you are comfortable cutting anyway.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
na, everything you need to do is right on top of the pump area of the tank..and will be easily accessable through the access panel.

do it how you want but im telling you, you will be glad you did it this way.

I know it is for the pump, but I got the racetronix upgraded harness which u gotta run all the way up to the alternator. eh we will just pull it from the bottom and just take a day and do it

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
If I have to replace my pump again I'll make the access panel. But I had access to a lift which helped a lot. Also what helped was the tank was at about 1/4 full made it very manuverable.

And when we ran the PnP harness we ran it along all the stock junk for the nice and clean install. And we attached the fuse linkage in the engine bay on the driver side wheel well. Made for easy access incase if blew

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
trap door makes fuel pump removal/installation an easy task. roughly 30 minutes start to finish.

i cut the hole, found a larger piece of metal, rtv'd the edges and sheet metal screwed it back on. under the carpet, no one can tell. i also have my amps/cap on top of that area so no one can tell whatsoever.

dropping the tank, get the tank as low as possible. the less sloshing the easier it'll be to align the fucker back up. its not too hard provided bolts come out without busting...

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
trap door makes fuel pump removal/installation an easy task. roughly 30 minutes start to finish.

i cut the hole, found a larger piece of metal, rtv'd the edges and sheet metal screwed it back on. under the carpet, no one can tell. i also have my amps/cap on top of that area so no one can tell whatsoever.

dropping the tank, get the tank as low as possible. the less sloshing the easier it'll be to align the fucker back up. its not too hard provided bolts come out without busting...

I understand is so much easier but have any of u done the trap door method and also did the wiring kit with the racetronix pump?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
I am both ways on access panels, if you do them right, yes, they are great. My old 90 RS, I was doing some rust repair, found the panel under the carpet, popped it loose to check things, and whoever did it almost zipped through a fuel line. If you have a diagram or something that tells you where to go, ok.. but gas and cutting devices scare me..haha

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I am both ways on access panels, if you do them right, yes, they are great. My old 90 RS, I was doing some rust repair, found the panel under the carpet, popped it loose to check things, and whoever did it almost zipped through a fuel line. If you have a diagram or something that tells you where to go, ok.. but gas and cutting devices scare me..haha

use a 1 1/4 inch diameter dremel cutting disc.
you won't hit anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info