• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GTO guys step in please

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
I had one of my buddy's send me this text message today. He has an 06 6.0 Auto

I need your help. For the past month, my temp gauge only worked when it wanted to. It either works or it doesn't. Also my car randomly honks like once every 2 weeks but it's been getting more frequent. That's been happening for like 2 years. I believe I just have an underlying electrical problem somewhere. Also for the past month, about 25% of the time, my car lags starting and I have to give it gas to get it to start.

Any idea guys? I have heard and read that the pcms sometimes go
Bad. But I do not think that is the issuse, he and his friend think it could be that. Anything would help at this point!!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the honk issue is probably a bad ground behind the steering wheel air bag. mine used to do the same thing

as for the temp gauge, has he checked the wiring/connector at the ECT? if he installed headers, he probably broke the connector off as it's right in the way. if wiring looks good i'd put a new sensor on and try it. the part's cheap enough

Monaro

Jul 10, 2011
Elburn
Just about everything related to the steering column is pretty poor quality on these cars. For example it's not uncommon for the ignition switch to go bad, can't get the key out, turn signals break, radio volume buttons break, stuff like that. I have heard of the horn thing before too.

'course the music coming from the straight pipes makes up for all that....

I have actually had a similar problem after I installed boost and fuel pressure guages. There are plenty of places to cause a short. Unfortunately, electrical problems are among the toughest to find and there are plenty of problems in the column. If he's not good at tracing electrical problems, there are a number of really good GTO forums out there ls1gto.com that could help him out.

Pillion88

Regular
Nov 5, 2010
Naperville
Real Name
Justin Pillion
Id have to agree with monaro the steering columns have problems pretty frequently. I've been lucky to not have any issues after 125K miles. and the hard starting issue isn't what I would say is common so I'd say just start trouble shooting. Weak battery would be where I'd start,then check the grounds on the starter,fuel pressure....so on and so on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info